starting strength gym

Thread: Need strength and conditioning program while injured

Default Need strength and conditioning program while injured

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I recently broke my right humerous on a freak accident while attempting to squat for a PR during an SS LP workout. It's pretty clear to me that I will likely lose a lot of the strength I've gained over the last 6 months as I recover from my injury. What I'm therefore looking for is some kind of routine I can do that will at least partially offset the strength losses I'm anticipating.

With that said, I have created the following modified "convict conditioning" routine and am looking for feedback.

Schedule:

Core and Leg Training: M,W,F

Leg Raise Progression (follow convict conditioning progression but stopping at hanging leg raise)
    Bodyweight Squat Progression (progress by wearing weightvest and adding weights that max out at 60 lbs and then progressing to pistol squats with weights)

Conditioning: Tu, Th, Sa

Walk 1mile with weighted vest
    Sprints

Please let me know if this could work. Thanks.
    Last edited by kcwidjaja; 09-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.

I want to know more about the accident. How do you break your arm squatting?

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I want to know more about the accident. How do you break your arm squatting?
    We all want to know the dirty details please.

Also, do you have access to a safety squat bar or belt squats?

My form fell apart as I was going back up leading to an excessive forward lean (almost like a good morning with my chest up) which caused me to lose balance and fall forward. Not sure what happened next, but I think the barbell likely slipped off my right shoulder and crashed into my arm as I lost control.

I was wearing a squat belt and for the first time, weightlifting shoes. Prior to this, I used to squat bare foot. So I think adapting to shoes with a 3/4 inch heel may have also contributed to the accident.

Don't have a safety squat bar or belt squats but I'm not sure if Id be able to use even if I did since I don't have full range of motion on my right arm yet.

I maintained my squat strength this summer with lunges, leg press, leg curls/extensions and glute ham raises. I was able to pull though. You could do single arm deadlifts and kettlebell swings too.

Did you not have safety bars set up?

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I maintained my squat strength this summer with lunges, leg press, leg curls/extensions and glute ham raises. I was able to pull though. You could do single arm deadlifts and kettlebell swings too.

Did you not have safety bars set up?
    Don't have access to machines--I work out at home. Regarding the single arm deadlifts, wouldn't that cause muscular imbalance?

And yes, I've got safety bars.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwidjaja View Post
    Don't have access to machines--I work out at home. Regarding the single arm deadlifts, wouldn't that cause muscular imbalance?
    Having one arm in a cast for 6 months will create muscular imbalance, so make sure to immobilize your other arm too.