starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas method 4 day upper/lower split?

Default Texas method 4 day upper/lower split?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone run TM like this?

Got 2 questions:

1. Upper first or lower first?

2. I focus on bench press for volume / intensity and did OHP with linear progression on recovery days, where can I fit OHP into this model?

1.) I do upper first because it's less likely to disrupt lower. However I ultimately don't think it matters too much in the long run.

2.) Andy put them after intensity benches in one of his sample programs. Seems to make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    1.) I do upper first because it's less likely to disrupt lower. However I ultimately don't think it matters too much in the long run.

2.) Andy put them after intensity benches in one of his sample programs. Seems to make sense to me.
    That is what I thought, thanks.

my version looks like this:

Mon: Bench intensity, press volume
    Tue: squat intensity, oly pulls (I alternate cleans and snatches)
    The: Press intensity, bench volume
    Fri: Deadlift, squat volume

However, I sort of fell into this set up after transitioning from 5/3/1. Not sure it this is optimal, but it's working for me (when i remember to eat)

How bad would it be to have the squat day first?
    My schedule is tricky ...but basically I want to put my volume squat day on the day I have the most time to train, which would force me to have squat day first.

Quote Originally Posted by James.Wierzba View Post
    How bad would it be to have the squat day first?
    My schedule is tricky ...but basically I want to put my volume squat day on the day I have the most time to train, which would force me to have squat day first.
    My understanding is that the systemic stress from the volume squats is likely to compromise the upper body work the next day, which is why it goes arms day-legs day-rest day-arms day-legs day

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post

I do almost the exact same programme (a few minor differences), and it has worked very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post

However, I sort of fell into this set up after transitioning from 5/3/1. Not sure it this is optimal, but it's working for me (when i remember to eat)
    I do this, but with 20RM squats in place of oly pulls, and added assistance at the end of the upper body days. I've made some good gains with it. I also find that I can maintain pretty well if I slack off and take too much time off between workouts (which I've been doing all summer.)

One thing that I think is tougher with this setup, is that you are doing intensity work every time you're in the gym. I think this works well for gainz, but can become mentally exhausting when you have to go for a limit set every single damn time. I might change things up a bit so that I can have some days that are just volume with no intensity.

I do volume squat first day because I want to prioritize the squat and if my week falls apart I can almost always find a way to get the two squat sessions in, separated by proper rest days, if I start this way.

starting strength coach development program
    The program RugbySmartarse sets out is pretty much what Andy Baker suggests as an intermediate programming option in PPST3 on page 152. Additionally, he suggest for the intensity work cycling 3x2, 2x3, and 5x1 across 3 weeks to keep things mixed up and the lifter from stagnating.

I've been following this program for a little while myself and am very pleased with the results, every lift is in PB territory now and there's no sign of plateauing yet. It would seem to be a very effective program.

I've no doubt this is a very effective way to split your training and with the usual other boxes ticked (diet/consistency etc) the progress will come.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast