starting strength gym

Thread: Mike_M's Intermediate Log

Default Mike_M's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Firstly, hello to everyone who's deciding to take a look at this log. Yesterday was my first day of converting to the Texas Method intermediate program. I'm looking forward to experiencing the grueling gains to come from what I can already tell will be a gratifying, yet strenuous process. I should probably start this log off with a bit of my background for reference.

Jan 2014 - July 2014

Started training at age 30, 6' height, 265 lbs with only minor prior weight training in life. Trained 4 days/week, emphasizing barbell lifts with only minimal accessory work. Consumed 1700-1800 cals/day with 250-300g protein and minimal "cheat days".

Lost 45 lbs with lifts improving considerably. 1RM progress -
    Bench Press: 155-245 lbs, DL: 225 lbs - 425 lbs, Squat: 225 lbs - 325 lbs, OHP: 95 lbs - 145 lbs.

July 2014 - September 7th, 2014

Increased intake to 2500ish cals/day for 5 weeks because food is delicious and makes for nice gains. Gained 6-7 lbs up to 220 lbs BW (rough guess 18-20%BF) and improved lifts a good bit more. 1RM progress -
    Bench Press: 245-285 lbs, DL: 425 lbs - 500 lbs, Squat: 325 lbs - 375 lbs, OHP: 145 lbs - 185 lbs.

Supplements include creatine, BCAA pre/post workout, beta alanine, betaine anhydrous, citrulline malate, agmatine sulfate and fish oil. Also lots of caffeine in various forms.

I sleep an average of 6 hours per night, which is not a ton, but has always been normal for me. Sometimes I'll pick up a 30-60 minute nap at lunch and I manage a few extra hours of sleep on the weekend. So far this hasn't seemed to slow any progress.

September 8th, 2014

This was my first day of the Texas Method. I'd read about how difficult the volume days can be, and I've learned that what I'd read is definitely true. Unfortunately, I ended up having a 12 hour work day plus a 1.5 hour drive home today thanks to a nasty thunderstorm that flooded much of the city of Portsmouth, VA (where I work). This meant that I couldn't hit the gym until 8pm, which is late for me since I crawl out of bed at 4:45 AM. No matter, wasn't looking to pussy out on day #1.

Squats: 4 x 5 at 315 lbs
    Bench: 5 x 5 at 230 lbs
    Rack Pulls: 1 x 5 at 405 lbs
    Weighted Dips: 3 x 5 at Body Weight + 45 lbs

The volume of squats was pretty intense. I think on a more typical day I'd have been fine to go for the 5th set. As it was, I knew I wouldn't have time for the 10 minute rest I would've needed to even attempt set #5 with the gym closing at 10pm. I'm content with 4 x 5 on squats for my first volume day though.

I'm not a big fan of the olympic movements, so I decided to include a 1 x 5 rack pull set for my pulling exercise. The deadlift is my favorite lift and I tend to struggle the most near lockout, so I think that this will be a good assistance exercise for me to include on Mondays. I don't think that it will interfere with my Friday deadlifting based on past experience.

I've included the tricep dips as an assistance exercise mostly because I enjoy them and feel like I have the capacity to add the sets.

I'm pleasantly sore the next morning and definitely feeling hungrier than usual. Time to go consume copious amounts of proteins. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the Texas Method. I was on it for a couple of months but made little progress. I suppose it has something to do with my age (67). I've been doing Wendler's 531 for about 4 months with also little progress. It's good to see that you lift heavy weights. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the encouragement carson! I think it's awesome and inspiring that you're still pushing for progress at age 67.