starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training S-L-O-W-L-Y

Default Training S-L-O-W-L-Y

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I picked the title of my log based on the main features of my program. I use the post-novice program for older people in PPST3. I'm a 51 year old man, 193, 6'0". I also rest 8-10 minutes between work sets.

Up until now, that meant my program alternated:

Heavy day:
    Squat: 1 heavy set x 5, 2 backoff sets x 5, minus 10%
    Bench press: same as squat, but micro loading (1.1 and 2.5 pound increments)
    Chin-ups: 3 body weight sets
    For SQ, add 5 pounds to next heavy day workout, but do 3 reps. Next weekly heavy day, do same weight x 4 reps; next weekly heavy day, 5 reps. Then add 5 pounds next weekly heavy day, etc., etc.

Light day: SQ: 3 x 5 20% less than heavy day
    Press 1.0: 1 heavy set x 5 (micro loading), 2 backoff sets minus 10%
    DL: 1 heavy set x 5

But I entered the October Iron Fest in Atlanta on 10/25 and I'll change this from the above:

Heavy day:
    Close grip bench press instead of bench press: should help press lockout.

Light day:
    Press: 5 singles instead of one heavy set x 5: I feel I need to emphasize the lockout.
    DL: 5 singles instead of one heavy set x 5: I feel I need to emphasize my setup.

http://youtu.be/cTs5fymmRPE

Sunday, 9/7/14

SQ:
    230 x 3
    First rep was high. Third rep was grind-y. Working on: less delay in setup and between reps; breaking at hips and knees simultaneously; consistent speed on descent.
    206.1 x 3, 3

CGBP:
    163.6 x 5, 5, 5

Chin-ups: BW 7, 5
    Pull-ups: 3+1 single+1 fail

Wednesday, 9/10/14

Light Day

SQ:
    183.6 x 4, 4, 4

P 1.0:
    90 x 5 singles
    81.1 x 5, 5
    For the singles, I only rested between reps long enough to rack the bar and then unrack it. I didn't feel any particular advantage to this, compared to doing straight reps. Next P workout, 91.1, I'm going back to straight reps. If I decide to go back to 5 singles, I'll rest more than nominally between them.

DL:
    265 x 5 singles.
    Just like P, I didn't feel any advantage to resting between sets just long enough to put the bar down and stand up to reset. Next DL workout, 270, I will go back to straight reps.

5 singles might also make it hard for me to truly gauge my attempts at the October Iron Fest.

http://youtu.be/GJ-EhQHJ_TA

Saturday 9/13/14

Heavy day

SQ:
    230 x 4: last week, a form check from the front (45 degrees) showed my knees were not staying in line with my feet (going outside). So, I was mindful of that as well as everything else: less delay in setup and between reps; break at hips and knees simultaneously; and consistent speed on the descent.

Harder to judge depth from this angle, but they seem high.

207.5 x 4, 4

Yes, that's all I did, for today. I'll do CGBP and chin-ups/pull-ups tomorrow.

Sunday 9/14/14

CGBP:
    165 x 5, 5
    148.6 x 5
    If you've seen my squat videos, I use the same metal sawhorses, at the same height, to spot CGBP. The height adjustment increments are such that the next notch down would be too low and would not spot me. So, what I end up with is a CGBP about 3 inches from my chest, which I pause. Again, for now my goal is to assist my press lockout.

Chinups: BW x 8
    Pullups: BW x 5
    Chinups BW x 5

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Sunday 9/14/14

CGBP:
    165 x 5, 5
    148.6 x 5
    If you've seen my squat videos, I use the same metal sawhorses, at the same height, to spot CGBP. The height adjustment increments are such that the next notch down would be too low and would not spot me. So, what I end up with is a CGBP about 3 inches from my chest, which I pause. Again, for now my goal is to assist my press lockout.

Chinups: BW x 8
    Pullups: BW x 5
    Chinups BW x 5
    If you secured your bench to a couple stacked 2x4's and some for your foot positions, you could do full range bench presses.

For my weekend workouts, I can wake up, have my coffee and a shake of whey protein and oats, and then wait 90 minutes to train. But for my weekday workouts, after a day at my desk job, I've been trying a pre-workout powder, called "Mr. Hyde", or something.

That name foreshadowed how I should have expected it to feel. I started using it out of curiosity just because my son, a 21 year old Marine, left it behind after his last visit home. He said it might make me feel "weird", and he was right.

"Weird" means I feel energetic, yet breathless, if that makes sense. I don't know that I "feel" stronger, but objectively, if I lift more weight for more reps with good form, that's the only way I can know I am stronger.

I do take care with my protein snacks and meal timing, both weekdays and weekends. I really should try to dial in that last weekday pre-workout snack, instead of that "Dr. Hyde" crap. Today I had a protein bar about 4. But I did take "Mr. Hyde" today before my "light day" training about 5:30. I drank Gatorade during the workout for the carbs for energy.

Wednesday 9/17/14
    Light Day

SQ:
    183.6 x 5, 5, 5

P 1.0:
    81.1 x 5, 5, 5

DL:
    135 x 1
    185 x 1
    225 x 1

The purpose of today was to reset my twice weekly workouts so I am training heavy for SQ, P, and DL on the weekend. Before I entered the October Ironfest (my first contest), I was training heavy DL on the same weekday as light SQ. I was also training heavy P on a weekday, sometimes the day after light SQ/heavy DL. I was training heavy SQ, CGBP, and chin-ups on weekends.

But I want to get adapted to training SQ, P, and DL heavy all on the same weekend day, since that's what will happen at the Ironfest. So, today was just a light, nominal workout for SQ, P, and DL, and I'll do them heavy this weekend. My next weekday workout will be light SQ, heavy CGBP, and chin-ups. I'm not as concerned about doing this light weekday workout all on the same day, so I'll consider the option of splitting it into 2 weekdays if work interferes, or just because I feel like it.

For my weekend workouts, I can wake up, have my coffee and a shake of whey protein and oats, and then wait 90 minutes to train. But for my weekday workouts, after a day at my desk job, I've been trying a pre-workout powder, called "Mr. Hyde", or something.

That name foreshadowed how I should have expected it to feel. I started using it out of curiosity just because my son, a 21 year old Marine, left it behind after his last visit home. He said it might make me feel "weird", and he was right.

"Weird" means I feel energetic, yet breathless, if that makes sense. I don't know that I "feel" stronger, but objectively, if I lift more weight for more reps with good form, that's the only way I can know I am stronger.

I do take care with my protein snacks and meal timing, both weekdays and weekends. I really should try to dial in that last weekday pre-workout snack, instead of that "Dr. Hyde" crap. Today I had a protein bar about 4. But I did take "Mr. Hyde" today before my "light day" training about 5:30. I drank Gatorade during the workout for the carbs for energy.

Wednesday 9/17/14
    Light Day

SQ:
    183.6 x 5, 5, 5

P 1.0:
    81.1 x 5, 5, 5

DL:
    135 x 1
    185 x 1
    225 x 1

The purpose of today was to reset my twice weekly workouts so I am training heavy for SQ, P, and DL on the weekend. Before I entered the October Ironfest (my first contest), I was training heavy DL on the same weekday as light SQ. I was also training heavy P on a weekday, sometimes the day after light SQ/heavy DL. I was training heavy SQ, CGBP, and chin-ups on weekends.

But I want to get adapted to training SQ, P, and DL heavy all on the same weekend day, since that's what will happen at the Ironfest. So, today was just a light, nominal workout for SQ, P, and DL, and I'll do them heavy this weekend. My next weekday workout will be light SQ, heavy CGBP, and chin-ups. I'm not as concerned about doing this light weekday workout all on the same day, so I'll consider the option of splitting it into 2 weekdays if work interferes, or just because I feel like it.

Sunday 9/21/14

Heavy

SQ:
    230 x 5
    206.1 x 5, 5

10 minutes rest

P 1.0:
    91.1 x 5
    82.5 x 5, 5
    I moved my grip in closer a little. Before now I put my index fingers about a half inch into the knurling from the smooth. Then I saw where Paul Horn told another trainee on a press form check how he himself put the web between his index finger and thumb on the line between the knurling and the smooth. Based on how much wider his shoulders must be than mine, I must have to titrate in that direction, too. My forearms do feel more vertical, as they should.

10 minutes rest

DL:
    265 x 5

The 10 minutes rest between exercises (as well as between heavy worksets) does really help with doing all 3 exercises heavy in one session. I'll see if I can titrate the rest down over time without affecting workset poundages and target reps. Still, training s-l-o-w-l-y on weekends is by design, at least until October Iron Fest, since the rest of my day is free time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    If you secured your bench to a couple stacked 2x4's and some for your foot positions, you could do full range bench presses.
    Thanks. Not sure if serious. See below for video of my CGBP setup.

Wednesday 9/24/14
    Light Day
    SQ:
    187.5 x 5, 5, 5
    CGBP:
    166.1 x 5
    148.6 x 5, 5
    http://youtu.be/hUiFQbSjI1A
    Here's a video, not because CGBP needs any type of form check, but just so interested viewers can see how the sawhorses stop the bar about 3" above my chest. (I will say I think I need to concentrate on tucking my elbows in, as in the Press). Platform is 1/2 " plywood and stall mat on 3/4" plywood. So, my feet (not on the platform) are 1 and 1/4" lower than they would be without the platform. I pause slightly. Grip width is same as Press: webs between my index fingers and thumbs on the line between the smooth and the knurling.
    Chin-ups: BW x 8
    Pull-ups: BW x 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast