starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing Intensity Day on a Cut

Default Managing Intensity Day on a Cut

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I've been on the Texas Method for ~3 months now. At the moment I'm on a caloric deficit and loosing weight (have been for ~6 weeks). Needless to say, I have stalled and am hoping for some advice on how to proceed.

My last few Intensity sessions on the squat have been (weight in kilograms and reps in brackets):

132.5 (3)
    132.5 (3)
    132.5 (4)
    135 (2)
    135 (3)
    135 (3)
    135 (2).

So my thoughts are to stay on 135 kg (~297lbs) until I can only get 1 rep, then drop back down to 132.5, then 130 when I can only get 1 rep.

Any other thoughts? Should I do two doubles or something? Should I immediately drop down 10% and make my way up again?

Upper body is a similar story to the squats, but my dead lifts are actually still progressing (albeit more slowly) since I switched them from VD to ID.

Just FYI, I am taking the program a bit slower whilst on a cut. Sometimes I skip Recovery Day, sometimes I do VD, Off, Off, RD, Off, Off, ID, Off Off. It all depends on how I feel.

Cheers in advance,
    Tom

Don't do Texas method on a cut is a much better idea.

I don't have the link at hand but I think it was Jordan who posted a HLM cutting routine that works better, as you can still get the necessary volume.
    Last edited by 51M0n; 09-15-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmiddled View Post
    Hi all,

I've been on the Texas Method for ~3 months now. At the moment I'm on a caloric deficit and loosing weight (have been for ~6 weeks). Needless to say, I have stalled and am hoping for some advice on how to proceed.

My last few Intensity sessions on the squat have been (weight in kilograms and reps in brackets):

132.5 (3)
    132.5 (3)
    132.5 (4)
    135 (2)
    135 (3)
    135 (3)
    135 (2).

So my thoughts are to stay on 135 kg (~297lbs) until I can only get 1 rep, then drop back down to 132.5, then 130 when I can only get 1 rep.

Any other thoughts? Should I do two doubles or something? Should I immediately drop down 10% and make my way up again?

Upper body is a similar story to the squats, but my dead lifts are actually still progressing (albeit more slowly) since I switched them from VD to ID.

Just FYI, I am taking the program a bit slower whilst on a cut. Sometimes I skip Recovery Day, sometimes I do VD, Off, Off, RD, Off, Off, ID, Off Off. It all depends on how I feel.

Cheers in advance,
    Tom

On a cut, you have to put your ego aside, and reset the lifts.

Take your intensity day back to 115 x5 and take 5 KG jumps for the next 5 weeks and you should get 135 x five after a reset!

also keep volume low on squats volume day... no more than 3 sets!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsongee View Post
    On a cut, you have to put your ego aside, and reset the lifts.

Take your intensity day back to 115 x5 and take 5 KG jumps for the next 5 weeks and you should get 135 x five after a reset!

also keep volume low on squats volume day... no more than 3 sets!
    Disagree with all of this. This has absolutely not been my experience. This stuff with lowering volume or intensity just results in detraining. there is no positive to be gained from doing either. If you are going to be dieting for a couple weeks, fine, do whatever. If you have several months ahead of you it will result in a tremendous loss. The only thing that really changes at the novice to early intermediate stages is that the rate of progression goes down. 5lb jumps become 2.5, 2.5 become 1-1.25. Session to session becomes week to week. You will adapt to training on a deficit just like you adapt to any other stimulus. The only time I feel a massive decrease in strength is when failing to manipulate carbs to ensure being carb'ed up for the heavy days. If you are feeling cold sweat, light headed, room spins after a set, etc. then you need to change how you eat before training. I'm sure things are different for late intermediate and advanced lifters, but that's rarely the demographic being discussed.

Haha, three replies, three opinions :-)

I think I will be on a deficit for another 2 months or so.....however long it takes me to shed another ~ 4kgs (so far shed 3kgs in 6 weeks). My weekend boozing sessions unfortunately are a negative influence on this, but necessary during finals footy ;-)

Anyway, I'll do a bit more research, but I'm not really keen on moving on from TM unless it is a consensus by all, I'd rather just mod the TM. Moving to a HLM for 6-8 weeks, then back to TM when I start on a caloric surpluss again, seems a bit too much jumping around in programs?

Good point about the carbs. On intensity day I get dizzy, room spins, stars etc. I eat low carbs during the week (mainly to keep my protein up and calories down to account for the additional alcohol calories on the weekend).

I train in the afternoon, is it best to carb up say at lunch time (~4-6 hours before training), or the night before? Should I carb up for Intensity and Volume?

It sounds to me like you need to prioritize.

You want to: 1) get strong, 2) cut weight, and 3) drink a lot on the weekends.

You need to pick one to concentrate on and realize that the other two are going to suffer.

: ) Fucking double post.
    Last edited by Str8shutr; 09-16-2014 at 06:22 PM.

If you need a deciding vote, Andy Baker is on record all over the boards saying not to attempt Texas Method on a caloric deficit. HLM is super convenient to transition to in this case. Just drop the intensity and volume a bit on volume day (that's Medium), keep Light Day the same, and make Intensity Day (now called "Heavy Day") fit your needs (maybe 1 heavy single followed by 1-2 backoff sets of 5 at a resonably heavy weight, or a couple singles, or whatever).

Hey,

I have read a lot about people having issues using Texas Method on a cut, which is why I am going more slowly, having extra off days, skipping recovery day etc.

I have read posts from Andy recommending HLM on a cut so it does sound like that is a better option. I will do a bit more research and transition to that and head back to TM once off the deficit. Was supposed to have VD today. I might just have one more day off to find/devise a good setup and start with heavy day instead.

P.S I know I am not training/eating/drinking for optimal gains, and I realise my lifts will suffer. I am just trying to find the best program in which my lifts/weight loss will suffer the LEAST amount possible.

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    OK, so decided tomorrow I will start HLM as recommended whilst on deficit. I am thinking of starting something like the below. Am I on the right track, considering my current 2RM is 135kg on squat, 4RM is 150kg on DL, and 4RM is 95kg on decline bench?

All are reps x weight (kg)
    Heavy
    Squats: 5x20, 5x60, 3x100, 3 x130, 5X110, 5X110
    Decline Bench: 5X20, 5x60, 5x80, 5x90
    DL: 5X60, 5x100, 2x130, 5x145
    Accessories: abs, curls

Light:
    Squats: 5x20, 5X60, 5X85
    OHP: 5x40, 5X45, 5x50
    PC: 3X5 @ 60kg - still working on my clean form.
    Hyperextensions: 5X10
    Accessories: tris

Medium:
    Squats: 5X20, 5X60, 5X80, 5X100, 5x110
    Incline bench: 5x20, 5X50, 5X60, 5X70, 5X80
    DB Rows: 3X10@30kg
    accessories: abs, shoulder raises

Any comments/suggestions much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast