starting strength gym

Thread: OK to practice form on an off day?

Default OK to practice form on an off day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm in my 7th week of starting strength. Is there any issue with practicing power cleans with an empty bar or 10-lb bumpers on my off day?

No

Physically it's not an issue. I don't think it's necessary, though. Something about going away from something and coming back to it a day or two later seems to be powerful in learning. For example, by the 3rd work set of someone's 2nd session, squats are usually looking okay. They wouldn't look as good if the person simply did 6 work sets in their first session, even with reduced load. Do it, go away, come back, it's better.

No, but it's kind of like trying to throw a wiffle ball fast. A weight that light is unlikely to give you enough resistance to really practice the movement. You'll get more out of work sets that improve in technique over the course of a few sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    Physically it's not an issue. I don't think it's necessary, though. Something about going away from something and coming back to it a day or two later seems to be powerful in learning. For example, by the 3rd work set of someone's 2nd session, squats are usually looking okay. They wouldn't look as good if the person simply did 6 work sets in their first session, even with reduced load. Do it, go away, come back, it's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    No, but it's kind of like trying to throw a wiffle ball fast. A weight that light is unlikely to give you enough resistance to really practice the movement. You'll get more out of work sets that improve in technique over the course of a few sessions.
    Makes sense, thanks. I'll wait until my next workout. I think my technique is off - I feel myself pulling up with my arms, so I may stay at lower weights until I work that out. This exercise is more about developing power than strength, isn't it?

Yes. Power is moving a weight quickly. Strength is more about absolute load - despite speed. Getting stronger will help you be more powerful, since a load of X will represent a lesser percentage of your maximum strength the stronger you get.

On to the power clean: If you have a problem of jumping with bent arms, drill the jump step only. Hold the bar at the jump position, and practice jumping with straight arms. Don't even rack it. Just do the jump. Then add the rack part. Finally, do it all from the floor. You'll get it. Post to the technique section if you want to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

starting strength coach development program
    Update -

During my last power clean workout, I did my warm-up by practicing the jumps with an empty bar. I then gradually moved up in weight, doing sets of 3 and focusing on my form - similar to determining starting weight. I eventually got close to my previous PR weight, but with much better form. I was just not pulling/jumping hard enough from the jump position, and was not synchronizing the shrug at the top of the pull.

Unfortunately, as a consequence of doing 8 or so sets while pulling harder than before, and apparently pushing up with my feet harder as well, I ended up with VERY sore calves for the next several days. Walking down stairs was rough. But I expect that will be less of a problem as I continue at the right volume. Thank you all for your help.