starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power clean sub for Geezer with knee issues on TM?

Default Power clean sub for Geezer with knee issues on TM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Have been running TM for about 2 months and SS for 4 months prior. Finally got my PC form working properly and have been adding weight weekly.

However have an unstable knee after recon back in 1980. Up until now the program has only improved it, but the jump and landing on the PC with the heavier weights has been aggravating the knee and there is some pain and swelling.

It does not interfere with other exercises and in not major pain, but I would prefer not to do further damage.

Are there some alternatives?

PS...I have trouble with chins due to an elbow injury (Rugby is great game).

51 yo male.Current 5rm on TM KG - sq 152.5, DL 165, Bp 92.5 Pr 57.5 PC72.5

Regards

I agree with hsilman but why do anything else at all?

I have never done PCs

I used to do speed deadlift and deadlift but i have found that normal deadlift is enough.

Deadlift is, to me, the king of excercies. And if you do them your back will be strong and healthy

only with heavier weights?
    Is it fine with a bit lighter weights?

Maybe front squats or light power cleans, if they don't cause problems too, might strengthen your knee and eventually make it strong enough for heavier power cleans?
    (I actually have no idea, I am just thinking out loud, I know nothing about knee problems)

I (53 y.o.) am on TM and don't do cleans. I do deads on volume day 5x5 at 80% of the previous intensity day. has been working well.

As to chins, I don't do them either due to elbow problems. Instead I do BB rows. they help a great deal with my longstanding shoulder problems.
    Last edited by hamsha; 09-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks all......for 30 years i have has constant minor irritations and pain in the knee. Since getting Sq to depth and DL'ing the constant pain went away.

The heavier PC's required stronger jump and heavier landing, hence the lack of cartilage and instability is magnified. The niggles are back.

I'm unsure about just subbing with 5x5 DL's on Volume day. I am shattered at the end of it now.......

Do you power clean on volume days in your current TM programme?
    If you replace your Power cleans for a different exercise, you should probalby do that exercise on the same day (whether that is volume day or some other day) with a similar volume and intensity as the power cleans.

I think programming wise, a power clean is seen as a pulling exercise.
    You could replace it with some other pulling exercise that you like. For example deadlift, some deadlift variation, some pull up variation, or bent over BB rows (which are quite controversial on this forum).

Maybe if you look at the TM templates in Practical Programming 3rd edition (I think the 3rd edition (which I own) has far more templates than previous versions (which I've only glanced through)) you get some ideas about how your prefer to solve this.

Do goodmornings

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    I'm unsure about just subbing with 5x5 DL's on Volume day. I am shattered at the end of it now.......
    Then there is Tennisgolfboll implied suggestion:
    ...but why do anything else at all?
    A very valid point. Probably the most sensible way to go.

If you are determined to replace the PC with something else, I like heman's suggestion about looking at the TM templates in Practical Programming.

Thanks all....I have until Tuesday to decide what to do and will read up over the weekend/

starting strength coach development program
    I don't do power cleans because I had two broken legs at one point. I can do them - -but they really bother the ankles. that being said - I do Rip's version of Power Shrugs.

Love em. Call them "Rip Racks".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast