starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Hileaga's Log

Default Andy Hileaga's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yesterday, I did my final set of squats before beginning the Texas Method. Since I will be starting tomorrow, I decided to keep it relatively light and only do one set.
    Squat 255x5
    I also PR'd on my press at a measly 135x5x3.
    Second set. I wobbled a bit on my third set on account of getting in front of the bar but still managed 5.
    I would love to post my power cleans but I failed at least one rep in every set and need to work on it by myself for a little while longer before I come to y'all for help. It was probably a lack of focus, more than anything, since I only had 135 on the bar. I'm currently warming these up with hang cleans due to a lack of bumper plates at the moment.

As a side note, this log will hopefully serve as a good way to organize my thoughts about training for October Iron Fest, which will be my first meet. With four weeks left, My goals at the meet are 340/175/385, though I wouldn't whimper to even get as low as 320/160/365. Don't know if any of this will end up being of interest to anyone but me and that's a-ok.

Nice. Good luck at the meet!

Thank you!

I'm not only interested in what you do but I'm interested in your insights on the meet itself.

First day of Texas Method for squats went pretty well. I've noticed a slight tendency towards hyperlordosis in myself but it doesn't look too bad and seems to go away on heavier sets. Guess I must cue teh abzZz and take much HUGER BREATHS. Was also way too full for the gym today and that might've had something to do with it. Excuses, excuses. Anyway, here's a playlist of my squats for the day:
    250x5x5
    I also missed a rep on my second set due to miscounting and decided to throw an extra one into my third. These were all done with about five minutes rest in between.
    My bench went well, as I easily got 200x5x3. No grinders or anything like that, I see what may be a slight bounce off the chest on some reps in the video but doesn't look/didn't feel very severe. Conversation with the dude spotting me resulted in no filming of the third set but I got all the reps, I assure you, since no one would EVER lie on the internet.
    Here it is:
    200x5x2
    And the power cleans sucked again. I WILL MAKE THESE NOT SUCK. It feels/looks like I'm jumping too early and hitting myself on the bottom of the patellas (patellae?) on the way up. I was comfortably getting 175x3x5 in the spring, so maybe I got a little too fat without gaining enough strength as the summer wore on and I worked/drank/etc. while training pretty crappily. Either way, prepare your tear ducts for the inevitable effluence you'll experience watching these SAD ASS CLEANS.
    Ugh.

Hello, all.
    Today was my light squat day and I ended up breezing through it without bothering to record. It was 200x5x2. No real trouble here.
    Next came my press with another PR at ~137.5. The washers I use for microloading weight are just under 2.5 in total, I think. This was a bit tough because it's starting to get a bit cold in the Canadian igloo that I call my gym. I lost balance on the second last rep of my last set but managed to still get the last one. I under-used my hips a bit and quite a few of the reps came up lopsided. Probably gonna pay for this but I'm not too worried yet.
    ~137.5x5x3
    Then I did chins. I love chins. Still progressing kinda slowly on these at my new bodyweight of 227.5 but they're coming along fine, I think. I thought I could've gotten another couple reps on the first set but I'm glad I saved it because the next two sets both ended up having fewer reps.
    Chins x7, x6, x5
    I meant to ask in my last post if y'all think I should drop my bench as I get closer to the meet on the 25th. Since I'll be competing in the press, it does seem like it might be prudent to do so. However, since both movements are still improving linearly, I'm leaning towards keeping it in. Thoughts?

Was a little sick today, decided to go to the gym anyway.
    Got 280x5x1 for my squat, 202.5x5x3 for my bench (PR), and 335x5x1 for my deadlift. Nothing was overly hard but I'm hoping it doesn't exacerbate a currently mild cold. Feel good things are still on track. No videos today.

Was a little sick today, decided to go to the gym anyway.
    Got 280x5x1 for my squat, 202.5x5x3 for my bench (PR), and 335x5x1 for my deadlift. Nothing was overly hard but I'm hoping it doesn't exacerbate a currently mild cold. Feel good things are still on track. No videos today.

Was still a bit sick yesterday so I went to the gym today instead and cut volume down to make sure that I don't overtrain.
    Squat: 255x5x3 (was supposed to do 5x5)
    Press: 140x5x3 (PR). The very last rep was a grinder. Might have to switch to triples for the final two weeks before the meet.
    Didn't do power cleans.

starting strength coach development program
    Felt way better today. Light day for squats: 205x5x2, bench is still going up: 205x5x3 (actually did all my sets of chin-ups before my last bench set because I couldn't get a spot), chins: 3 sets of 7 (PR at 227, I think, but my best was 3 sets of 8 at around 210).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast