starting strength gym

Thread: Wedding coming up

Default Wedding coming up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, Im a member on SS. almost at the end of the program.

My question is not for me but for my poor friend that is getting married in six months. He's been following some program that he found on a magazine. which yield little results. I heard his story and decided to post it on our forum to get some pointers. The guy has access to a gym. and willing to put in the work to slim down for the wedding. Please Help.

he is:
    33 yrs old
    5'6"
    190 pounds
    20-25% body fat

whats the question?

You're probably better hitting up Jordan over at the nutrition section for some advice. If it's as simple as losing some weight then logging your daily calories using an app like MyFitnessPal would be a good place to start and adjust from there until you're losing weight.

What are his exact daily macros?
    the guy doesn't count his macros at all. he eats whatever he wants. currently, his just trying not to eat pass 6pm.

You're probably better hitting up Jordan over at the nutrition section for some advice. If it's as simple as losing some weight then logging your daily calories using an app like MyFitnessPal would be a good place to start and adjust from there until you're losing weight.
    ok, i'll ask Jordan. I also recommended the app to him. his scratching his head at the moment.

he can;t outtrain a shitty diet. if all he wants is to get thin, he has to stop eating. 3-4 times a week he can do HIIT, but basically just stop eating

Note: I don't advocate this - I think he should get strong and healthy, not just thin.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

The not eating after 6pm is horseshit, FWIW. I lost 20 lbs to fit into a weight class and I consistently ate after 10pm--but I did track my macros carefully through the day.

I had a trainee a while back in the same circumstance. SS combined with cutting out crap food alone helped him. Counting macros would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by luvwofear View Post
    the guy doesn't count his macros at all.... he eats whatever he wants... his scratching his head at the moment.
    I would suggest that he doesnt eat whatever he wants. I would tell him to try eating less than he wants.

But who knows. He should ask Jordan.

starting strength coach development program
    The guy has access to a gym. and willing to put in the work to slim down for the wedding.
    the guy doesn't count his macros at all. he eats whatever he wants. currently, his just trying not to eat pass 6pm.
    These two statements are not compatible. Part of putting in the work to slim down is to figure out what and how much you need to eat and then not eat more than that (which is hard to know unless you track stuff).

Maybe it's time for an analogy.
    I really want to get big and strong. I keep lifting these pretty pink three pound dumbbells, but for some reason I'm not getting bigger or stronger...

his scratching his head at the moment.
    More knowledge, more counting, less food, more movement and less head scratching should help your friend out.