starting strength gym
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tufnel: Goes to 11

Default Tufnel: Goes to 11

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm Kate, absolutely detrained. tl;dr below...

I'm overweight and weak and ready for that to change, permanently, for life. The only athletics I've participated in has been swimming, for about 10 years of my life, before heading into a solidly sedentary phase, which resulted in huge weight gains and general unhappiness.

My brother got me turned on to SS at the beginning of September, he's a lifter and sports nutrition guy (and on here somewhere, dunno his handle) and my main coach/support - aside from the book and all the info available here. He lives five hours away and I probably bug him too much, so I'm here to get additional support and answers, and to log my progress so as to have more women on here.

I attended Tom Campitelli's SS Squat Camp recently and it was pretty eye opening, humbling, and motivating.

Stats:
    5'10"
    225#
    DL: 150
    Bench: 60
    Press: 50
    I'm so weak that I'm working on the Rip recommended leg press assistive work, and box squats with a 15# bar - Tom's coaching.
    I'm working on chins with static holds, can't quite do a negative.

I am also working on correcting my anterior pelvic tilt and already have seen UNREAL improvement. Lying on my back I used to be able to put two hands under my low back and now it's only a small finger's width from the floor. I stand straighter and work on engaging my abs and glutes throughout the day.

I tweaked my back on a DL recently and have been doing the Starr rehab, high reps at low weight, and it's helping. I can still lift and the pain is getting better every day. It's a low stretching ache in my low back, wide between my hips. Hurts when I hinge forward, during Good Mornings and DLs. If I tighten my abs and hold my breath it's better. Weak abs definitely a factor. Weak all over.

I'm going to be eating specifically to change my body composition. I've been paleo for almost two years now, but refined sugar creeps in, as does beer and whiskey. I really love beer and whiskey. That might have to change.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

tl;dr Weak and fat. Wanna be strong and healthy. Go.

Monday 9/29
    box sq 3x5 @15
    bench 3x5 @60
    chins 5x5sec hold
    leg press 3x10 @50

Wednesday 10/1
    box sq 3x5 @17
    press 3x5 @50
    DL 3x15 @45 (35# bar w/weights)
    chins 5x5sec hold
    leg press 3x10 @55

Today the squats felt good. I have problems going into my toes and with my knees extending too far out, but my form felt solid on most reps. Since I'm squatting such little weight, and since I don't use the right muscle groups when I go into my toes like that, I do an additional rep with good form if I fuck one up. Usually it only takes one.

This is a mental challenge for me as well.

Welcome! Good luck!

My wife struggles with the fear of falling on her behind and so winds up leaning forward and nearly falling forward. She's shown some improvement but has some way to go until she gets full depth. She'll make it and so will you. Good to see you here. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I know it's a mind game. Every time it gets easier.
    Is your wife on here?

Welcome! Great to have you on here. I admire your commitment, and I too started my fitness journey overweight and very untrained. It's all worth it, even though it's really tough sometimes.

best log title in a while. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MissusTufnel View Post
    Is your wife on here?
    No. She doesn't like the exposure. I've tried to get her to post. Maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by MissusTufnel View Post
    Is your wife on here?
    No. She doesn't like the exposure. I've tried to get her to post. Maybe some day.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday my back was bothering me worse than before. Going to cut the DLs for a bit until they don't set me back so much pain-wise. Seems like the back pain is also related to my hams, and when I can get a good stretch in the both it gives me some relief. Also my bed is shit, but at this point can't be helped.

The good shit is my hams were sore as fuck yesterday, and this morning heading to the gym. So I know my form is improving!

Friday, 10/3
    warmup 1x5 box sq with training bar
    1x5 box sq with empty 15# bar
    3x5 box sq @19
    bench 3x5 @62
    chins 5x5sec hold
    leg press 3x10 @65

Squats were super solid today. Halfway down I focused on just pressing my knees out, which helped me drop my butt instead of letting my knees come forward. I was in my heels and although coming up was slow, my butt rose first and I got up smoothly. It was good to work really hard and feel good about my form.
    Bench was wicked hard today, but I'm glad the CF box I'm working out in has 1# and .5# weights so I can keep making even 2# jumps.

Nutrition/Body Comp
    In addition to my low-carb, grain- and legume-free diet, I'm cutting out booze, all sugar, and all dairy (except milk in my coffee) for the month. Focusing on getting a fistful of quality animal protein and healthy fat with every meal. I'm debating about getting my bodyfat tested. I'm not in this to start a bad relationship with my body. I'm way more concerned about what I can do than what I look like, and I've worked my whole life to keep a good relationship with myself on this. Maybe in a few months if I'm feeling motivated to dial it in, but right now I'm just wanting to lose fat and gain muscle, bc being all fat and no muscle is holding me back. Not from a jeans size, but from the life I want. So I think that's going to be my focus for the time being.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast