starting strength gym

Thread: Following a TM template - some general questions

Default Following a TM template - some general questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Andy,

Thanks for the PPST3 writings.

I'm following the program you layed out on lower part of page 152 which is a High Volume / Low Intensity, Low Volume High Intensity cycling 3x2,2x3,5x1. I am having excellent results with this program, all weights are in PB territory.

My questions are probably more general training questions, but appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

1) Rest time between last set(s). I really hate to miss a rep so if it's a particularly brutal 5x5 session, if I think it will help to hit the reps I will take long rest period. Example, yesterday after my 3x2 Press, the 5x5 Bench was feeling very heavy and set 4 took just about everything. To make sure of hitting the last set of 5, I must have given about 20-25 minutes rest. Is this detrimental in any way waiting this long between sets ?

2) Related to the above, if the 5x5 is paricularly hard, sometimes I haven't got the energy for the 3rd assistance exercise (dips, chins, SLDL etc). Will my progression be affected if I regularly/occasionally miss the 3rd exercise after the intensity/volume basic exercises ?

3) For the intensity squat (5x1 esp), what are your thoughts about knee wraps ? I'd not go here for the 5x5's, but for the max attempts is this a disservice in any way ? The weights are getting heavy for me now (approaching 380lbs for 1 rep), and while I don't have a history of knee problems, I liked the feel of a pair of wraps I was trying out on a heavy set and felt more confident to push.

Thanks again.

1) No, but I never have the time to take that much rest, nor do the clients/athletes that I train
    2) Probably not. I have had excellent results with clients using just two main exercises per day and putting all time/energy into just that
    3) A pair of light wraps or good sleeves is fine. You can even use heavy/long wraps on some days, but I actually count that as a different exercise with a different PR. Wraps can add significant amounts of weight to the bar.

Andy,

Thanks for the response, points noted. Particular interesting 3), treating as a separate exercise - I'll keep that mind-set if I decide to introduce wraps for the heavy squats.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by TT9 View Post
    Andy,

Thanks for the response, points noted. Particular interesting 3), treating as a separate exercise - I'll keep that mind-set if I decide to introduce wraps for the heavy squats.

Steve.
    If I set up a Max Effort cycle for a raw lifter then the first two exercises in the rotation are generally (1) Regular Squat (2) Squats w/ Wraps