starting strength gym

Thread: Best option to continue linear progression on squats

Default Best option to continue linear progression on squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I feel like I am getting close to stalling on squats and, as on older lifter, just wondering which option would be recommended or most likely the most effective.

I am in my 16th week of strength training, age 43, starting weight 156, currently 179. I have progressed from 70 lbs to 280 lbs 3x5 without a stall or deload. I am wondering about the following 3 options when I stall:

1) Try the same weight again for the next two workouts, and add weight if I make the reps, if not deload and move back up(the program)

2) Deload right away and move back up due to age to immediately get some recovery.

3) Make Wednesday a light day with front squats as soon as I stall to add in extra recovery, and add weight every Monday and Friday to the LBBS.

I know #1 is "the program", was just wondering if you would offer any different advice for a slightly older lifter. My goal is, of course, to progress in weight in the fastest and most efficient manner. Thanks.

Try 3, but just do light back squats, not front squats

Is this because this option might prolong linear progression due to age/recovery? I accidentally repeated 280 for my first two work sets today. It felt a little bit easier than wednesday, but when I went up to 285 for the third set, I barely, barely got all 5 reps. Likely would not have made 3x5. Little bit of lingering soreness in the glutes. I will try to remember to update with progress when I get to that point.

What percent of working weight would you suggest?

Start with about a 10% offload.