starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for me to need some general programming advice please guys

Default Time for me to need some general programming advice please guys

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

Ive been training now for nearly 6 months. For the past few weeks I have been feeling constantly tired, my weight gain has slowed and my lifting rate of progression has slowed. Its felt hard at various times before so I know it has to be hard, but I felt it was time for me to get some general advice on how to move forward now.

My stats are as follows:

Started: End Apr 14 ---> Now
    Age 34
    Height 5'10
    Weight 150lb ---> 180lb
    Bodyfat 15% ---> 19% (not that we care too much about this)
    Waist size 30/32 ish ---> 34

Squat 45kg ---> 110kg (3 sets of 3)
    Bench 25kg ---> 65kg (5 sets of 3)
    Deadlift 60kg ---> 115kg (1 set of 5)
    Press/Press2 20kg ---> 42.5kg (3 sets of 3)
    Power clean 40kg no progress
    Chins <1 ---> 3 sets of 4 a few weeks back, currently 3,2,2

As I said above, for the last several weeks I've just felt very tired all the time. I've had a few colds and some personal stress with ex wife and during those periods I cut back on training.

My weight gain has continued slowly, I haven't ever gone backwards but it has slowed down or stood still for periods of time. Sometimes I've fell asleep on the sofa and missed a meal just because I'm tired. I am getting sleep, but for some reason its not been the best quality sleep. I'm still tired in the morning and I wake up alot in the night.

For the past few weeks Ive only been attending the gym twice a week, pretty much following the 1 on 2 off schedule in PPST3 advanced novice. As you can see I've also made the switch to 3x3 on squat, bench and press. This is very recent.

Ive been posting form checks and feedback is positive, don't feel that form is suffering. I have not microloaded at all as commercial gym and don't have my own micro's to take with me yet.

Also one more point on the bench I'm starting to get pain in my left arm and shoulder after benching. It goes away by the next pressing session.

I have never managed to consistently power clean. Ive dabbled with it, had some success then sometimes after heavy squats I can't even PC one rep. I've made no real progress on this.

On chins I couldn't do one at the start and have trained them at points in my training. My best ever was 3 sets of 4, but Ive missed them for a couple months and can now only do 3,2,2 (my weight has gone up though since the 3x4).

Please note that I'm sure the answer to gain more weight will come up and whilst I agree, I'd like to point out that at the age of 29 I only weighed 120lb so bear in mind that I am naturally very small framed.

So any advice on what to do now would be greatly appreciated. Maybe its as simple as a deload I don't know.

Regards
    Dan

Keep pressing on. Pay extra attention to recovery (including stress) factors. I'm not sure what else you want us to tell you, except that you might want to get your T-levels checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Keep pressing on. Pay extra attention to recovery (including stress) factors. I'm not sure what else you want us to tell you, except that you might want to get your T-levels checked.
    What he said, may also want to look at your diet and clean things up if you can. Need to properly fuel recovery. You could try checking in with Jordan on that...

I don't know what I'm after either, just felt the need to ask. I guess maybe I'm looking for a way to make it easier on myself a little, because I'm struggling to see how I can deliberately make myself recover better. I'm not just tired sometimes I seem to be tired generally. I can still go into the gym and do my squats but it feels deflated when I've done them not excited or proud of the achievement.

I don't see what reason I'd have to go to my GP and ask for a T levels check. I think its harder in the UK to just request stuff like that, although I've never tried. I can still get a hard on lol.

Oh the other thing worth mentioning is that my work had a health visitor in and we all got a free cholesterol check. Mine was borderline high at 5.35 mmol/litre. They told me to see a GP.

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    I don't know what I'm after either, just felt the need to ask. I guess maybe I'm looking for a way to make it easier on myself a little, because I'm struggling to see how I can deliberately make myself recover better. I'm not just tired sometimes I seem to be tired generally. I can still go into the gym and do my squats but it feels deflated when I've done them not excited or proud of the achievement.

I don't see what reason I'd have to go to my GP and ask for a T levels check. I think its harder in the UK to just request stuff like that, although I've never tried. I can still get a hard on lol.

Oh the other thing worth mentioning is that my work had a health visitor in and we all got a free cholesterol check. Mine was borderline high at 5.35 mmol/litre. They told me to see a GP.
    Sounds like a lack of intrinsic motivation. I don't know how to correct that. Did they check your vitamin D levels? I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol (but even if I did, I wouldn't use total cholesterol to assume anything about your health), although you can certainly search the boards for Jordan's more expert opinion on that particular matter.

Did they check your vitamin D levels?
    Its funny you should mention that because this last few weeks has coincided with the speedy removal of sunlight hours in the UK as we move into winter. I wonder if it could be that thats causing my underlying general fatigue issues? I think I always feel low at this time of year.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 10-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Its funny you should mention that because this last few weeks has coincided with the speedy removal of sunlight hours in the UK as we move into winter. I wonder if it could be that thats causing my underlying general fatigue issues? I think I always feel low at this time of year.
    Maybe it's not funny. Maybe I'm smart!

As the weight on the bar increases, dialing in recovery becomes more and more important. An early novice needs a good meal and a good night's sleep the day before training to make progress. A late novice needs a string of good days, recovery-wise. You're hitting a point where skipping a workout matters, too--it might not have mattered for you much before, but it does now.

Sounds like you've been under a ton of stress. Training helps many of us feel like we're in control of at least a small part of our lives, even when the going gets rough elsewhere. That sense of accomplishment gives us confidence to approach the challenges outside the gym with renewed vigor. Changing up your planned sets/reps on training days matters less than making it into the weight room at all. Everyone has to find their own balance, but once you make a plan, don't bargain with it, and you'll continue to reap rewards from training.

weight gain has continued slowly...sometimes I've fell asleep on the sofa and missed a meal...not been the best quality sleep. I'm still tired in the morning and I wake up alot in the night.
    This is what happens to me when I drink too much over a given week. I don't know if that applies to you or not. Or, have you started any new medications recently? Either way, good luck, and train on!

Maybe it's not funny. Maybe I'm smart!
    Adam haz smart.

Dan, how's your egg, milk, and fish oil intake?

starting strength coach development program
    Well, if recovery isn't reliable and lack of sunlight affects you, it might be time to start taking vitamin D and move to intermediate (weekly) programming. No point in wasting time with staying stuck at the same weight. Move on.

And get a form check on the bench.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast