starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey out of Poverty Bench

Default My Journey out of Poverty Bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker on these forums and have recently started competing. So, it makes sense to start my training log here. I had been lazy and fat for a long time before I started turning my situation around 2 1/2 years ago (running, bodyweight exercises, food habits), which eventually led me to Starting Strength. I started SS in March 2013 and was lucky enough to find Steve Hill in my area, who coached the noob out of me. Progress was great. From barely being able to do bodyweight squats, I was able to get my squat up to 225lbs in 9 weeks. Unfortunately, I got injured in June of 2013 and herniated 3 discs in my lower back. My PT said I should never squat or deadlift again. Obviously I never went back to see her again. With Steve’s guidance, I rehabbed my back over a 6-7 month period and was back to squatting 225lbs in February. Rehab included doing low weight, high rep squats and deadlifts, amongst other things.

After running out my Advance Novice, I started working with Jordan Feigenbaum, a.k.a Dr. GainzZz, on my journey to new GainzZz™. Ideally this log should be called “The Feigenbaum Guided Tour out of Poverty Bench.”

As the title suggests, my bench press is my weakest lift. This is partly due to inadequate rehab from a torn right shoulder labrum from a few years ago. Also, my upper body is comparatively weaker. Squat is definitely my strongest lift and I have probably failed less than 5 reps over the entire course of my training. Deadlift has been going up a lot lately and I feel it will go up more in the coming weeks.

Basic Information
    Height: 5'10"
    Current Weight: ~240lbs
    Occupation: Management Consultant. I travel almost every week, so managing recovery has started to become a much bigger priority now and influences my planning a lot.
    Goal: Compete in the 198lb weight class and get to a 1300+ total.

Current PRs
    Squat: 375lbs
    Bench: 205lbs
    Deadlift: 430lbs

Current Programming

Jordan is doing my programming, and currently learning a lot about auto-regulation and block periodization.

Competitions
    Federation/Organization: USAPL
    Meet: Powerlifting for Pups
    Date: 08/09/2014
    Weigh-in: 2 hrs
    Weight Class: 242-275 lbs
    Meet Total: 949lbs (Squat: 353lbs; Bench: 194lbs; Deadlift: 403lbs)
    Notes: This was my first meet and it went pretty well. I went 8 for 9, missing my last bench attempt at 209lbs. I pulled a 403lb deadlift; can't remember the last time when I was so excited about something. The iron bug just bit me a bit harder at this point. I collected some hardware for the best male novice lifter.
    Meet Video:
    http://youtu.be/xtbHDzncOOY

Federation/Organization: Starting Strength
    Meet: October Iron Fest
    Date: 10/25/2014
    Weigh-in: 2 hrs.
    Weight Class: 220-242 lbs. I weighed in at 242.4, a tenth of pound within my weight class.
    Meet Total: 965lbs (Squat: 365lbs; Press: 170lbs; Deadlift: 430lbs)
    Notes: The meet went pretty well except for my last squat attempt at 385lbs, which I missed obviously. I think I had it in me to push it up but the bar rolled up my back a little bit getting me off balance. With my press, I probably had another 5lbs in the tank, maybe. With my deadlift I’m pretty sure I at least had another 20lbs in me. I placed third in the 242lb weight class and collected some hardware.
    Meet Video:
    http://youtu.be/5trUx02eGUk

Federation/Organization: USPA
    Meet: Dirty South Powerlifting (Steve Goggins is the meet director)
    Date: Upcoming on 12/06/2014

Just to get things started, I'll put my log from the last 2 weeks, heading into October Iron Fest.

Tuesday 10/14
    Pause Squat:
    1 x 3 @ 375lbs (RPE9)
    (4- 6% fatigue)
    1 x 3 @ 240lbs
    1 x 3 @ 240lbs

2 Ct Pause Bench:
    1 x 2 @ 190lbs (RPE 9.5)
    (4-6% fatigue)
    1 x 3 @ 175lbs
    1 x 3 @ 175lbs
    1 x 3 @ 175lbs

Press:
    1 x 5 @ 145lbs (RPE8)
    1 x 5 @ 145lbs (RPE8)
    1 x 5 @ 145lbs (RPE8)

Notes:
    I missed the last on my top set of 2 count pause bench, highlighted in red. I hate missing reps. I'm slowly wrapping my head around the fact that getting the target volume is the most important objective.
    Last edited by Randeep Khaund; 10-25-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Thursday 10/16
    T-bar rows
    :
    4 x 10 @ 80lbs (in plates besides the barbell)

Face Pulls:
    4 x 10 @55lbs

Hanging leg raises: 3 x 10 reps, 1 x 5 reps.
    Situps: 3 x 10 reps

12 rounds of HIIT on C2 rower.

Friday 10/17
    Deadlift
    :
    1 x 1 @ 385lbs (RPE8)
    1 x 1 @ 405lbs (RPE9)
    1 x 2 @ 390lbs (RPE9)
    (4-6% fatigue)
    1 x 2 @ 365lbs

CG Bench Press:
    1 x 5 @ 170lbs (RPE8)

Tempo Squat (3-0-3)
    1 x 5 @ 245lbs (RPE8)

Saturday 10/18
    T-bar rows
    :
    3 x 15 @ 75lbs (in plates besides the barbell)
    1 x 10 @ 75lbs (in plates besides the barbell)

Hanging leg raises: 3 x 10 reps.
    Situps: 3 x 10 reps

12 rounds of HIIT on C2 rower

Notes: Was not very well recovered, so took it easy for a little.
    Last edited by Randeep Khaund; 10-26-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Sunday 10/19
    Competition Squat
    :
    1 x 1 @ 345lbs (RPE8)
    1 x 1 @ 365lbs (RPE9)
    1 x 2 @ 345lbs (RPE9)

Competition Press:
    1 x 1 @ 155lbs (RPE8)
    1 x 1 @ 165lbs (RPE9)
    1 x 2 @ 155lbs (RPE9)

Hah, poverty bench! I know those feels. I was unaware you were a management consultant. My friend worked for McKinsey out of college and his life was brutal for those two years. I can't imagine trying to hold down a training block with those hours! Well done on the progress. I'll be checking in regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Hah, poverty bench! I know those feels. I was unaware you were a management consultant. My friend worked for McKinsey out of college and his life was brutal for those two years. I can't imagine trying to hold down a training block with those hours! Well done on the progress. I'll be checking in regularly.
    Yeah, managing my schedule becomes difficult. I usually train Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, where Tuesday and Saturday are conditioning days. There are lot of days when I have trained 9-11pm on a Wednesday night, six hours of sleep and back to work next morning at 8. It's just that I have prioritized training as the most important thing after work.

Nice to see you've got a log going. I've got videos of your last two deadlifts, though the angle's pretty much the same as what you've got. I'll let you know once they're up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Nice to see you've got a log going. I've got videos of your last two deadlifts, though the angle's pretty much the same as what you've got. I'll let you know once they're up.
    I've been meaning to put my log up here and since I plan to seriously compete, I should have a log up here. Also, the feedback from others help. I'll look forward to the videos.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast