starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting Novice Transitioning from CrossFit

Default Lifting Novice Transitioning from CrossFit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi! First time poster. Long post but I am meeting with my trainer tomorrow and really trying to be prepared. So thanks for any help! The main question is should I dump CrossFit for the winter or keep a metcon or two?

I am really trying to concentrate on strength and am becoming quickly frustrated with my CF programming, which is probably not a surprise to those here. Early apologies for what is another SS/CF question. But we are all individuals, so here we go:

Background: 35, 6'4", 218 lbs. 6 months into CF, 3 months into a supplemental strength program. Lost 40 lbs in that first six months. First time I have ever done strength training before. Loving it, along with the CF too. However, my goals have switched from weight loss to strength. And Winter is Coming! So perfect time.

I have been making good beginner gains but I have found out the strangth program I am on is a bastardization of SS. The combo of this reality and SS rave reviews, I am thinking about making the switch to straight SS for awhile. My current strength is 2X week -

Workout A on Weds: 3X5 FS, 3X5 Bench, 1X5 DL and;
    Workout B on Saturday- 3X5 BS, 3X5 OHP, 5X3 Power Clean.
    I also do a 1RM test every Monday in order deload that lift back to 60% of that new max. (which is slowly killing me I think)

So my current schedule breaks down as:
    M- 1RM + wod
    T- Rest
    W- Workout A + wod
    Tr - Rest
    F - wod
    Sa- Workout B + Sprint work
    Su - rest

In my very humble and inexperienced opinion, this has led to a series of joint and muscle tweaks that usually result in programming being pushed back a day and of course some general discomfort. However the gains over the last 3 months have been decent (Start/Now):

BS - 195/260
    FS - 170/225
    DL - 225/310
    Bench - 145/190
    OHP - 105/150
    PClean - 100/165

So I am pitching a new schedule tomorrow and would love some input on how to best max strength gains while maintaining some conditioning (Developed asthma in Navy and trying to keep lungs healthy). Here my thoughts - FOLLOW SS but should a wod be allowed?:

M - SS
    T - wod (maybe rest)
    W - SS
    Th- rest
    F - wod
    Sa - SS plus Sprint work
    Su -rest

Any good? All thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Just do SS. After the workout do a few minutes of intervals on the Rower or the Airdyne. On Saturday push a prowler.

If you are WODing with metcons that have lots of eccentrics it isn't going to work with SS. You have to find a conditioning component that doesn't kill your recovery.