starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling in Advanced Novice

Default Stalling in Advanced Novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is there any benefit to deloading 10% of weight after 3 failures when on advanced novice programming? ie - the backoff method for squats of 1 set of 5 at 100%, 2 sets of 5 at 95%. or should you go directly to an intermediate program once you fail 2 or 3 times in this set up?

I think working back up from a 10% deload is time better spent transitioning into the texas method or something. 3x3/5rm+backoffs shouldn't last that long anyway, and are probably only useful if you can transition into them smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    I think working back up from a 10% deload is time better spent transitioning into the texas method or something. 3x3/5rm+backoffs shouldn't last that long anyway, and are probably only useful if you can transition into them smoothly.
    I found the 3x3 thing useless. I made progress on 3x3, but only progress on 3x3. It didn't translate into anything higher on 3x5. However, the 5rm + backoffs has been working for me for over 5-6 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    Is there any benefit to deloading 10% of weight after 3 failures when on advanced novice programming? ie - the backoff method for squats of 1 set of 5 at 100%, 2 sets of 5 at 95%. or should you go directly to an intermediate program once you fail 2 or 3 times in this set up?
    Are you failing the top set or the backoff sets?

havent failed yet but it is coming very soon I think.

Maybe you should stop thinking like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Maybe you should stop thinking like that.
    i know i know. I'm at 375 for the squat and I know it will happen sooner rather than later. Was just thinking about and realized I didn't remember if the book mentioned it. I'm guessing just a switch to TM once I fail is what the book would have said.

It depends on what you fail and how you fail it. If it's the back off sets that suck all the life out of you, make them 10% back offs instead of 5%. Keep that top set moving.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    i know i know. I'm at 375 for the squat and I know it will happen sooner rather than later.
    No, you don't. You do not. Nick and I are already composing a strongly-worded letter (full of Paul Horn quotes) that we'll be forced to mail to your house if you don't get these thoughts out of your head. Failure is not an option.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    No, you don't. You do not. Nick and I are already composing a strongly-worded letter (full of Paul Horn quotes) that we'll be forced to mail to your house if you don't get these thoughts out of your head. Failure is not an option.
    haha. we'll see. 405 is a few weeks away and i'm quite determined to get there. I just want it to be seemless. -10% on backoffs will be what I do eventually. thanks fellas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast