starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A rower trying to get stronger

Default A rower trying to get stronger

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I decided it might be best to start off a log on here. I really like the community, and if I can help anyone by posting what my lifts and progress look like, then so be it.

I am currently 205 lbs, 6' 3/4inch, waist 36inches
    23y/o male.

I started the program on 9/6/14 at 175ish lbs. My lifts were

Squat: 135
    Bench: 95
    DL: 155
    OHP: 85
    PC: 65lbs

Lifts as of 11/3/14

Squat: 215
    Bench: 150
    DL: 300
    OHP: 110
    PC: 110

As for goals. I would like to reach 315 squat by mid Jan, and then switch over to different programming. At that point I will be doing a lot of long distance rowing pieces to up my cardio conditioning, and trying to maintain the strength. Haven't thought that much into programming for then, but thats a long ways ahead.

Looking forward to the logging ahead!

11/7/14

Weighed in at 202.4 this morning. I am taking daily weigh-ins now, and will average them by 7 to get a more accurate weekly. I suspect my weight went down a bit because of some water loss. I had a low carb kind of day yesteday.

Squat: 220x5x3. I was surprised by how this felt. It was heavy, but not too heavy that I couldnt do it. I just got pretty fatigued by the last set, and my legs felt like they had nothing left. I made it through.
    Bench: 152.5 5x3. I made it through this pretty easily, just like the 150. I stalled at 157.5 last time though, hence the slowing down of weight increases.
    Chin-Ups: BW+10, 5x3--pretty easy
    Back Extenstions: 30x10x3. The 30lb weight was easy. This wasnt hard to do, but my back does feel incredibly sore and tight after doing these. I might have to see if I am doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rmahmad View Post
    Surprised by how this felt. It was heavy, but not too heavy that I couldnt do it. I just got pretty fatigued by the last set, and my legs felt like they had nothing left. I made it through.
    How long are you resting between sets? 5-10 minutes tend to be the norm around here. At your age you may not need 10 but try to experiment. You can warm up for the next exercise or do dips/chins etc to use the resting time.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    How long are you resting between sets? 5-10 minutes tend to be the norm around here. At your age you may not need 10 but try to experiment. You can warm up for the next exercise or do dips/chins etc to use the resting time.
    It varies with how I am feeling. Usually its 7-10 minutes. But it isnt the same evertime. For example, between my 1st and 2nd, I rested 7 min, and between my 2nd and 3rd I rested 10 because I was really feeling it.

Sounds like fatigue was more related to nutrition or daily variation, not rest. Side note - many people swear by Creatine as a supplement. It does work for me.

If you don't mind another observation - so you gained 30 lbs in two months? While some weight gain is normal, this might be faster than strictly necessary.

Many people around here care little about body fat percentages (that includes your humble servant) but you might want to consider dialing down food intake somewhat. Achieving a lift that is X times bodyweight gets much harder when you gain weight quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Sounds like fatigue was more related to nutrition or daily variation, not rest. Side note - many people swear by Creatine as a supplement. It does work for me.

If you don't mind another observation - so you gained 30 lbs in two months? While some weight gain is normal, this might be faster than strictly necessary.

Many people around here care little about body fat percentages (that includes your humble servant) but you might want to consider dialing down food intake somewhat. Achieving a lift that is X times bodyweight gets much harder when you gain weight quickly!
    Yeah, I am slowing down the weight gain now, I have been around 202-204 for a couple of weeks. The inital problem was that I wasnt increasing my lifts and my form was just alright. I posted form checks and people kept on telling me to gain weight, so I just listened. My form is much better now, and I am dialing in the nutrition. I am only gonna try and increase by .5-1b a week now, and prob stop gaining when I hit around 215-218.

11/10/14

Over the weekend I did a HIIT session on Sat. It was on the erg, it was 7 round for 20 seconds on, and 2:20 seconds off like Jordan recommends in his "To be a Beast article". It wasnt difficult at all. I was tired by the last one, but nothing too draining. My fastest split was 1:24.4. I also ate a bit out of my control this weekend, it was my sisters birthday, so we went out to eat, and I did some traveling. I normally track pretty consistently, but alas you cant always win.

Weighed in at 202.4 lbs this morning. My weekly average from last week was 203.5.

Today's workout was pretty good. Squat was tough, but not too bad. My legs didnt feel tired by the third set, so that felt good. I am getting out of breath near the last two reps of every squat set though. It gets to a point where its hard to take a big breath and hold it for my squat rep. I hope this fixes itself with time. The OHP today was ROUGH. Its incredible, 110lbs felt so easy. 112.5 today was a struggle. The Power cleans were also a bit rough, I missed a 2 reps, so I will have to do this weight over.

Squat: 225x5x3
    OHP:112.5x5x3
    PC:115 3, 2, 3, 3, 2

My nutrition plan is gonna change starting today. High carb days on Monday and Friday, moderate carb on Wed. Low carb on all the other days (when I am not lifting). It will be moderate on Wed because those are my light days. I think I want to go up to 215lbs, but I am not sure. I am gonna maybe maintain for a few weeks and see where that gets me on my lifts, then I will adjust accordingly. I have quite a bit of fat on me, so I think I can still make some progress.

11/12/14

Weighed in at 203.5 this morning.

Today's workout was easy, as it was a rest day. I am feeling like my squat form finally clicked. I don't wobble forward or back anymore, the bar goes straight up and down. Feels pretty good!

Squat: 180x5x2--- No comment. Easy.
    Bench: 155x5x3---This wasn't extremely tough, it wasnt extremely easy.
    Chin Ups: BW+12lbsx5x3--No major comments.

Nutrition is in check for the most part. Hopefully I can make it past 230lbs on the squat on Friday. Thats where I got stuck before my deload and switch to advance programming.

11/14/14

Weighed in at 204 this morning.

Today's workout was solid...except for one minior mishap with the OHP. My very last rep on my third set, I drove the bar up quicker than I moved my head out of the way clonked the bar on my chin. I almost knocked myself out. I recovered and tried to go for that last rep, but couldn't get it. I swear I would have gotten it if it wasnt for that silly knockout blow. I am going to try the weight again though, I want to be on the safe side.

Squat: 230x5x3 (So the last reps are still pretty tiring, its getting harder to keep my chest up near the end, and keeping my abs contracted. Hip drive is still good)
    OHP: 115x5,5,4-- See above for anecdote
    DL: 305x5x1---Felt great

starting strength coach development program
    11/17/14

Weighed in at 203 this morning.

Today's workout was again a good one. I am getting a bit worried, I am due for a down day soon. I broke past my previous Squat PR 235 today. Still having problems with keeping the chest up nearing the final two reps. The Hip Drive becomes more and more apparent and, its getting closer and closer to a good morning squat at the last set and reps. The warm up weigh did feel heavier than normal today, and I didnt get good sleep over the weekend, so that might be it.

Another note. I am really fighting to stay with a recovery day on Wed, I hate progressing slower. I mean, its great because it is working, and I was only going in circles before. I just need to be patient, and not get greedy. I dont want to have to deload because I put myself in a recovery defecit due to my impatience.

Squat: 235x5x3
    Bench:157.5x5x3
    Chin-Ups: BW+15x5x3

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast