starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressed 5/3/1-style training?

Default Compressed 5/3/1-style training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm coming off my first powerlifting meet, having run a linear progression after a 4-month layoff from lifting (just started training in April 2013). It's starting to take too damn long to train sets across near a 5RM given my work and family obligations. With that in mind, I was looking at running a compressed 5/3/1-5's progression style template.

Monday: Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5
    Wednesday: same lifts, 70%x5, 80%x5, 90%x5
    Friday: same lifts, 75%x5, 85%x5, 95%x5

Add 5 pounds to the TM for all lifts, and recalculate for the next week. I though this would give me a good mix of volume and frequency, without completely wiping me out or taking too much time. Am I nuts - is this too aggresive?

Background:
    33 y.o. in December, 5'10", approx. 250 lbs.
    Competition lifts: 365# squat, 245# bench, 455# deadlift
    last press session was 145x5x3

My girlfriend has successfully used a condensed 5/3/1 for bench by following the normal 5/3/1 protocol but having two bench days per week. You probably will not enjoy performing AMRAP squat, bench, and deadlift on the same day if you follow the plan above, and the training effect from latter lifts will be compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbroe View Post
    I'm coming off my first powerlifting meet, having run a linear progression after a 4-month layoff from lifting (just started training in April 2013). It's starting to take too damn long to train sets across near a 5RM given my work and family obligations. With that in mind, I was looking at running a compressed 5/3/1-5's progression style template.

Monday: Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5
    Wednesday: same lifts, 70%x5, 80%x5, 90%x5
    Friday: same lifts, 75%x5, 85%x5, 95%x5

Add 5 pounds to the TM for all lifts, and recalculate for the next week. I though this would give me a good mix of volume and frequency, without completely wiping me out or taking too much time. Am I nuts - is this too aggresive?

Background:
    33 y.o. in December, 5'10", approx. 250 lbs.
    Competition lifts: 365# squat, 245# bench, 455# deadlift
    last press session was 145x5x3
    Yes, you're nuts and this is too aggressive. Instead of trying to turn 5/3/1 into HLM, why don't you just run HLM?

Also, I personally think deadlifting 3x/week is completely crackers. CRACKERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    You probably will not enjoy performing AMRAP squat, bench, and deadlift on the same day if you follow the plan above, and the training effect from latter lifts will be compromised.
    Thanks. I wasn't planning on repping out, just sticking to sets of 5 across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yes, you're nuts and this is too aggressive. Instead of trying to turn 5/3/1 into HLM, why don't you just run HLM?

Also, I personally think deadlifting 3x/week is completely crackers. CRACKERS!
    Thanks for the feedback. I have much more latitude with training time at the end of the week, so that's where I was trying to get my heavy day. Figured I'd ramp up to it through the week, so it'd look like LMH.

Aside from the 4 lifts/day and alternate order of days, is this really that different than HLM? I suppose I liked the clear-cut percentage-based methodology when I attempted to pull this together. With 3 work sets vs. 5, I figured it'd be quicker, recognizing I might have to add sets to drive adaptation as time goes on.

I'd run HLM before, and the program my coach gave me called for deadlifting on both the heavy and medium day. I figured a light day wouldn't kill me. Chalk it up to a "suck it up buttercup/stop being a pussy" mentality.

The point of all this is that I just want to get in, knock out the work, and get out as quickly as possible without missing reps.

Too much too fast , you need to work in the extra frequency carefully. Agree with the hmL model or anything else that you can slowly add frequency of the main lifts.

You can use RTS fatigue management, dup or a nice a combination of the two or HLM or shit, try texas method with auto reg start light and realize some prs down the road. I think you would regret not giving Texas method a solid run.

You need to incorporate an auto regulatory methodology to help you cope with the increased fatigue. You do not want to overreach into oblivion. It has to be additional work with a purpose.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 11-10-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Seems to me almost all the programs in PPST encourage squats 3 days/week, and all training days have at least one pressing movement. Is it the deadlift frequency that makes everyone cringe? I'll admit, up until now I've gotten stronger with DL once a week for a heavy set of 5 once I got past the initial few weeks of novice LP.

The heavy day is only programmed to increase weekly here. I'd be doing some sort of reset and running back up. I have run a 4-day TM split in the past. I was hoping that squatting 3x per week would drive adaptation better than only 2x per week. And I wanted extra work on my bench since it lags behind so far.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I am genuinely trying to learn. I'm also an accountant who feels the need to dissect the shit out of everything to understand all the finer details. My goal is to switch to a career as a strength coach once I'm in a position where I can leave my j-o-b. For now, I'm just a late novice/early intermediate powerlifter.

Try getting accustomed to squatting twice a week and deadlifting once a week first. Then after a training cycle or more add a squat cycle. Additional pulling should be an educated decision.
    It is easy to write a program down, but it is harder to live with it, stick to it and realize progress. Many here are giving you advice from hard learned experience.
    Volume and frequency are tools that can drive progress. But you only have so much time and effort to expend in your life on expanding the use of these tools. Use the minimum needed to progress. Use the volume and frequency variables wisely.. The 3x week full body protocols are a great place to start.

Try getting accustomed to squatting twice a week and deadlifting once a week first. Then after a training cycle or more add a squat cycle. Additional pulling should be an educated decision.
    It is easy to write a program down, but it is harder to live with it, stick to it and realize progress. Many here are giving you advice from hard learned experience.
    Volume and frequency are tools that can drive progress. But you only have so much time and effort to expend in your life on expanding the use of these tools. Use the minimum needed to progress. Use the volume and frequency variables wisely.. The 3x week full body protocols are a great place to start.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbroe View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have much more latitude with training time at the end of the week, so that's where I was trying to get my heavy day. Figured I'd ramp up to it through the week, so it'd look like LMH.

Aside from the 4 lifts/day and alternate order of days, is this really that different than HLM? I suppose I liked the clear-cut percentage-based methodology when I attempted to pull this together. With 3 work sets vs. 5, I figured it'd be quicker, recognizing I might have to add sets to drive adaptation as time goes on.

I'd run HLM before, and the program my coach gave me called for deadlifting on both the heavy and medium day. I figured a light day wouldn't kill me. Chalk it up to a "suck it up buttercup/stop being a pussy" mentality.

The point of all this is that I just want to get in, knock out the work, and get out as quickly as possible without missing reps.
    So do HLM, but make Friday your "Monday." HLM is very flexible, you can do ramping sets but program them much more appropriately than your original idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast