starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got2Squat's Advanced Novice Strength Journal

Default Got2Squat's Advanced Novice Strength Journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been strength training for 20 weeks. I started with StrongLifts 5x5, and it was a very good introduction to strength training for me, and led me to Starting Strength. With what I have learned since discovering SS, I am officially switching over as the programming is going to be much better for me at this point. Here is my background and progress up to this point, working weights unless specified:
    Male, age 42, 5'8" 156 lbs.
    6/30/2014 Current
    Squat 70----->280 3x5
    Bench 95----->195 4x5 week 10, had to deload, hurt shoulder week 12
    DL 95-------->360 1x5, 395 x 1
    Press 55-----> 127.5 5x5 week 12, then hurt my shoulder.
    Body weight currently 182 lbs, so 26 lbs gained. 15% body fat using calipers, was probably close to ten when I started.

So, after deloading on my bench, I hurt my shoulder on 9/17 on bench press the workout following my press PR. I had to take 10-12 days off from all pressing, and resumed with the empty bar. I am currently back up to within ten lbs of my PR's on both exercises, so this was about a 2 month set back. I think it was in large part due to the 5x5 volume at the weights I was doing, age, recovery, etc. I stalled once on squats at 285 and am currently working back up from a deload. This Friday will be a PR if all goes well. I have not stalled yet on DL.

As far as programming, I am doing a light day on Wednesdays for squats. I am rotating DL, PC, and back extensions(BE) at this point according to the advanced novice template, so DL, BE, PC, BE, DL, BE, PC etc etc. Doing chins on back extension day. Alternating weighted and unweighted.

Oh, almost forgot, I just started doing power cleans...first workout was 135, then did 140. Still pretty clueless on these so taking it easy.
    Last edited by BarryF; 11-12-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Starting Strength Advance Novice
    Wednesday, week 20, light day

Squats:
    225 2x5

Bench:
    185 3x5 (+10) Shoulder is feeling really good, will probably make a 5 lb jump then start 2.5 This is, and likely will continue to be, my weakest exercise. Cursed with monkey arms.

Back Extensions:
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 15 After doing nothing but near 5RM BB exercises for 3-5 sets for the last 20 weeks, this felt foolishly easy. Wanted to start light, first time doing them.

Chins:
    BW x 12
    BW x 12
    BW x 12

Hoping to make it to some time near the end of the year on novice progression. My year end goals, which will mark six months of strength training are:
    Squat 315 x 5
    DL 380 x 5 or 425 x 1
    Press: 135 x 5 (lost two months of progress to injury)
    Bench: 210 x 5(same as above)

I started with SL 5x5 too. What's your diet? How many calories are you taking in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomac View Post
    I started with SL 5x5 too. What's your diet? How many calories are you taking in?
    Oh man...you got me here. Since I started out pretty slender, I have been pretty loose with my diet. I mean, I make a lot of healthy choices and eat as much whole foods as I can, meats, eggs, veggies, etc. I stay away from unhealthy fried foods as much as I can, but I pretty much eat as much as I want whenever I want. I have absolutely no idea how many calories I eat or what my macros are. I just eat a lot. And I eat quite a few unhealthy snacks(cookies, bowls of cereal). I have definitely gained some fat but my body composition is still not terribly bad. I do plan to add HIIT on Tuesdays and Saturdays as soon as I acquire an Airdyne. I work out at home, and, although I could do hill sprints, I'm afraid it would interfere with recovery. I also drink milk with pretty much every meal, in my protein shakes after workouts, and with all snacks. I think that has been a huge factor in my weight gain, since I previously drank only water.
    Last edited by BarryF; 11-13-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Good luck. I'll be keeping up with your log. I too started with SL and am going to start advanced novice this sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by MPhelps View Post
    Good luck. I'll be keeping up with your log. I too started with SL and am going to start advanced novice this sunday.
    Thanks bud, good luck to you too!

Starting Strength Advanced Novice
    Friday, week 20

Squats:
    285 3x5 (+5) PR This is the weight from which I deloaded i.e. my first stalled so happy it went up. RPE was around 9-9.5 so I think I can keep going from here.

Press:
    120 3x5 (+2.5) Shoulder not quite 100% yet, felt a little funny on the first warmups, work weight felt fine.

Power Cleans:
    145 x 3 (+5)
    145 x 3
    145 x 3
    145 x 2 Left wrist was hurting so quit while I was ahead, had intended to do 5x3. I'm not in a huge hurry to set any records here though, so I decided to play it safe and avoid an injury.

Nice job on squat PR. Sounds like the 10 percent deload and light day helped.

Quote Originally Posted by MPhelps View Post
    Nice job on squat PR. Sounds like the 10 percent deload and light day helped.
    Thanks. Yes I think those things did help, I can really tell that I feel recovered on my Monday and Friday workouts now. And now the real work begins, seeing how far I can make it before stalling again.

starting strength coach development program
    Starting Strength Advanced Novice
    Monday, week 21

Squats:
    290 3x5 (+5)

Bench:
    190 3x5 (+5) Adding 2.5 from here

DL:
    365 x 4 First stall The fourth rep came up rather slow, did not attempt the fifth rep.

Chins:
    BW + 35 x 6,6,6

Was starving when I started the workout, which of course is not good. May not be eating enough, did not gain any weight this week. Still at 183.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast