starting strength gym

Thread: Lower Back Work

Default Lower Back Work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Andy

Previously for low back work I used to do 3 sets of weighted hyperextensions with a 25lb plate after deadlifts. This was in a previous gym I worked out in. In the new gym the hyperextension machine has a support bar that limits how far I can actually bend down and therefore the bar seems to make the machine useless?

In place of the weighed hypers I was going to start doing a couple sets of back off SLDL's after deadlifts as I've seen you recommend. I have taped myself doing SLDL's and I absolutely can't keep my back straight while keeping my knees locked.

The reason I make a big deal of this is because my deadlift has been stalled for a long time. I've been doing 1x5 for a long time. Should I start doing a couple back off sets of deadlift? Should I change rep schemes? Here's what I've been doing FYI.

Day 1
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Weighted Chins - 3 sets

Day 2
    Deadlift 1x5
    Press 3x5
    Prowler
    Curls

Day 3
    Squat 1x5
    Bench 1x5
    BB Row
    LTE
    Curls

Unlock your knees. There should be a little knee flexion in an SLDL

I will do some SLDLs next DL workout for back-offs and post a video.

Andy,

This is a timely post for me as well so in lieu of starting a new thread asking a similar question I will piggyback on this one:

I have been doing weighted back extensions once a week on my conditioning/GPP day. I worked up to 5x10 at 45lbs. The limiting factor for me is knee pain from the movement not low back fatigue. Would your recommendation still stand to do SLDLs after deadlifts? Back extensions gave me a nice balance of doing extra low back work without being extremely taxing on the entire PC. I am mainly doing it as a precaution due to a previous low back injury, and I can really tell the difference in my deadlifts.

Just add a single set to start with. Maybe reduce Back ext to 3 sets if the low back isn't recovering

Ok here's the video. Yeah, I only did one rep I started to set up for a second and get my knees a little straighter and my low back shoots up in the air as a result. Suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwG...YerI95DjQRccZw

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lifter285 View Post
    Ok here's the video. Yeah, I only did one rep I started to set up for a second and get my knees a little straighter and my low back shoots up in the air as a result. Suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwG...YerI95DjQRccZw
    First one was ok. You just need to set your back better. Try an RDL, where you start from the hang. Lower to floor and just touch n go. Don't bounce it. A Lot of people struggle with keeping the form together with the pause on the floor, especially the first rep