starting strength gym

Thread: Stuck OHP - Programming Opinions

Default Stuck OHP - Programming Opinions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this.

I'm 6'2, 230 lb, 34 years old, intermediate lifter. I've been running Wendlers Advanced 5/3/1 for about 6 months and my press is not making any real advancements, I've been stuck around 185 for a 1RM for a while despite a few resets. I lift at lunch and don't usually have much time for accessory work.

Adv 5/3/1 programming has been:

Tue - 5/3/1 Bench, 3x5 (sets x reps) OHP @75%
    Thur - 5/3/1 OHP, 3x5 Bench @ 75%

Adv 5/3/1 reps are 5x5, 5x3, 5x1 varying by week.

Opinions on a more effective OHP program? i dont' really feel like the heavy OHP singles have been doing anything for me. I came across the Starr article on here and I'm planning on switching to his programming, something like this:

Tue - 5/3/1 Bench, 3x5 OHP @ 75%, Weighted Dips, varying by week but ~5x5 @ 45lbs

Thur - OHP 3-6x3, adding weight when I get 6 sets at the same weight, Steep incline DB Bench, 5x8

Other lifts are progressing nicely, 475x2 DL, 415 1RM squat, 295 5x1 last cycle for bench.

I don't know what Wendlers advanced program is supposed to be so I can't comment. As I've said before though, my observation with those who don't progress on 531 is that they need more volume at the appropriate intensities. One all out set in the 80-95% range plus tons of 10s doesn't work for a lot of intermediates. They need 15-25 reps in that 80-85% range to build strength. And I'm not talking about "training maxes"

Try more of a true TM set up. Volume 5s on day one, and singles across on day 2. And spread your week out. Try Tues/Fri or Mon/Thurs, not tues/thurs.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I ran TM about a 18 months ago and burned out quick, but I had a newborn and my sleep was terrible, maybe it's time to give it another go.

My typical week is:
    Mon - DL & light squat
    Tue - Bench & light OHP
    Wed - off
    Thur - Squat & DL variation
    Fri - OHP & light bench

I misspoke in the OP, sorry about that. Do you find with TM that varying rep ranges works better for intermediates (i.e. 1x5, 2x3, 5x1 week to week, repeat cycle) or is it pretty lifter dependent ( I assume the latter)?

Yes, but at some point everyone benefits from cycling rep ranges, cycling exercises, cycling volume, etc. Stay with your current set up and try something like this on Upper days:

Tues: Bench Intensity, Press volume

Fri: Press Intensity, Bench volume (close grips)

Or if you wanted to focus just on the press for a short time, do this. Works awesome for the Press

Tues: Press Intensity, Close grip bench -5s

Friday: Press volume, weighted dips

Yes, but at some point everyone benefits from cycling rep ranges, cycling exercises, cycling volume, etc. Stay with your current set up and try something like this on Upper days:

Tues: Bench Intensity, Press volume

Fri: Press Intensity, Bench volume (close grips)

Or if you wanted to focus just on the press for a short time, do this. Works awesome for the Press

Tues: Press Intensity, Close grip bench -5s

Friday: Press volume, weighted dips

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I might try the latter to try and push through 185, an annoying sticking point I've had for a while. I definitely enjoy the weighted dips when I've incorporated them in the past.