starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYC Squat Camp: December 13th

Default NYC Squat Camp: December 13th

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'll be holding a Squat camp at Crossfit Solace in Manhattan on Saturday, 12/13 at 2:30pm. SSC Brent "BJ" Carter will once again be joining me in coaching the camp, so we'll have 12 openings available. Last one sold out pretty quickly, so be sure to sign up sooner rather than later to ensure you get a slot.

Link with all the info, and to sign up:
    ***outdated link removed***

Bump

How many spots are left? And is the place easily accessible by metro/subway or is it better to drive? Coming form Long Island

Just signed up, pretty excited as it's my first SS event (aside with meeting my online SS coach). Anyone wanna possibly car pool from Long Island?
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 11-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.

I will let Comrade Wolf answer these.

Quote Originally Posted by pyaarawala View Post
    How many spots are left? And is the place easily accessible by metro/subway or is it better to drive? Coming form Long Island

Just signed up, pretty excited as it's my first SS event (aside with meeting my online SS coach). Anyone wanna possibly car pool from Long Island?
    I'm not privy to the moment by moment updates on the #s, but as of the last update from Stef, there are still several spots left.

Solace is VERY easily accessible via public transportation. It's ~1/2 a mile from Grand Central and ~1 mile from Penn Station, so whether you're coming from upstate/CT or from Long Island, you can get there via the trains quite easily.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-24-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Ok sure, one last question. I'm running SS LP right now and was wondering how I should prepare myself for this session? Since it's all squatting, I'm assuming I shouldn't do the usual 3x5 heavy squat before this session?

Quote Originally Posted by pyaarawala View Post
    Ok sure, one last question. I'm running SS LP right now and was wondering how I should prepare myself for this session? Since it's all squatting, I'm assuming I shouldn't do the usual 3x5 heavy squat before this session?
    If you're on a M/W/F schedule, train as normal Mon and Wed and just do the camp instead of Friday's workout.

If you're on Tues/Thurs/Sat, then take about 10-15% off your squat weights on Thursday, so you're not too fatigued going in. You can do the other lifts as normal on Thursday, though if your DLs are also getting very challenging, you might take 10% off those as well. That's a judgement call.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    If you're on a M/W/F schedule, train as normal Mon and Wed and just do the camp instead of Friday's workout.

If you're on Tues/Thurs/Sat, then take about 10-15% off your squat weights on Thursday, so you're not too fatigued going in. You can do the other lifts as normal on Thursday, though if your DLs are also getting very challenging, you might take 10% off those as well. That's a judgement call.
    Got it. Thank you!

Couple of questions:

* How do you feel about Kelly Starrett? I'm looking for some instruction similar to what he would teach.
    * I did a SS course and I've learned some cues like external rotation and other stuff that I did not learn in that course since then. Do you go over things like this? Bracing Sequence?
    * Do you feel like it's helpful to just do one course, rather then get into a semi-regular course where technique can be continuously be refined? I definitely want to do something with you but I feel like if it's not semi-regular, I'm just going to forget.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by the6step View Post
    Couple of questions:

* How do you feel about Kelly Starrett? I'm looking for some instruction similar to what he would teach.
    * I did a SS course and I've learned some cues like external rotation and other stuff that I did not learn in that course since then. Do you go over things like this? Bracing Sequence?
    * Do you feel like it's helpful to just do one course, rather then get into a semi-regular course where technique can be continuously be refined? I definitely want to do something with you but I feel like if it's not semi-regular, I'm just going to forget.
    1. How do I feel about Kelly Starrett? I feel fine, thank you very much. If you're asking whether we teach Kelly Starrett's squat model, the answer is that we teach the Starting Strength squat model. I've watched several videos where Kelly talks about the squat, including one he made specifically to clarify this point, and I'm still not really sure what he wants the squat to look like/how he want it to be performed. This make it difficult to assess his ideas and model.

2. What is an "SS Course?" Did you take a seminar? A training camp? A private session with an SS Coach? Be specific here: What did you do, when did you do it, and with whom?
    I have no idea what you're asking about when you say "things like this." We teach the performance of the squat, including all the details, as it is described and explained in SS:BBT3.

3. More coaching is always better when the coaching is good, but getting quality coaching at least once is far better than not at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast