starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you switch to advanced novice?

Default When did you switch to advanced novice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My squat is at 240x5x3 and I'm about out of gas for 5 lb jumps each workout. At what weights did you move to advanced novice?

5'10"
    195 lbs
    Male
    26 yoa (almost 27, in Feb)

Thanks.
    Last edited by amsgator; 11-26-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Age

365x5x3

Was ~20y/o and 180lbs at the time. Still male and still 5'6" as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    365x5x3

Was ~20y/o and 180lbs at the time. Still male and still 5'6" as far as I know.
    Geez I must be slacking...

I was no longer able to make session-by-session progress at about 23yo around 315lbs. In my 40s, at 225lbs.

225-275 seems to be most common for the typical guy of 25-40, usually nutrition holds them back. People just don't like to eat a heap of good food.

I don't necessarily think you're slacking and I would also agree with Kyle's estimates for the average stall point in that particular demographic.

But you might be slacking.

I work nights and 12 hr shifts so it's hard to eat like I'm supposed to at work. I'm pretty sure that's a good part of the problem. I've added about 145 lbs to my squat over the last 3 months or so, I just want to get as much out of this as I can before adding a light Wednesday.

At the same time I don't want to stall at weights and lose time that I could still be gaining if I did do a light Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    At the same time I don't want to stall at weights and lose time that I could still be gaining if I did do a light Wednesday.
    When people stall, often their instinct is to add exercises, sets and reps - to go harder.

Usually, they need the reverse.

12hr shifts and less than ideal food - with that in mind, your progress has been good. Don't worry that it's slowing down. Progress is progress. If you could add 5lbs a week then in less than 12 months you'd be squatting 500lbs. I would expect a harder stall before then, though.

You can't change your work, which means you're unlikely to change your food and rest. So accept slower progress. Put in a light day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    I was no longer able to make session-by-session progress at about 23yo around 315lbs. In my 40s, at 225lbs.

225-275 seems to be most common for the typical guy of 25-40, usually nutrition holds them back. People just don't like to eat a heap of good food.
    I like you, Kyle. This is the first place I've seen my squat progress not described as horrible. 36yo, 170lbs, and I hit a pretty good wall around 235. Ate my way up to 250 before resigning to smaller weekly progress.

I switched according to recovery. I got to a point where I could tell I was still feeling pretty wiped out from Monday to Wednesday, and from Wednesday to Friday. Monday's workout got to be the only one where I felt somewhat recovered. So when I stalled after feeling that way for a few weeks, I deloaded and switched to advanced novice. Now, Monday's and Friday's squats feel great(recovery wise). Wednesday's squats, even light, still feel rough. I have progressed another 20 lbs past my stall weight on advanced novice so far, so it seems to be working well. I won't be upset when I have to switch to intermediate....buuuuuuut, the twice a week gains are addictive and I don't want to give them up.

However, for another point of reference in regards to your question, I switched to advanced novice after stalling on 285, 5'8", 43 y.o, 156lbs--->183 lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by trapntan View Post
    This is the first place I've seen my squat progress not described as horrible. 36yo, 170lbs, and I hit a pretty good wall around 235. Ate my way up to 250 before resigning to smaller weekly progress.
    It comes from my experience working in a mainstream gym for years. Not everyone is a psycho-motivated 20yo male with a background in sports living at home whose parents still cook him dinner and wash his undies. That's why I wrote this.

Seriously: progress is progress. We should get the best and quickest progress we can given our circumstances. You shouldn't wuss out, but on the other hand, if you're a grownup with one or two old injuries, a full-time job and family and not much of a sporting background, you simply are not going to add weight to the bar every session until 315 or so. Ain't gonna happen. But the guys can get to 225-275, and the women to 135-185, and slow down from there - but progress is progress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast