starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength in Japan

Default Starting Strength in Japan

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, I'm a Canadian living in Japan, been doing 'starting strength' for about a year but for many reasons I haven't been progressed nearly as much as I would have liked (by that I mean I wasn't actually doing the program, but I was trying to squat, bench, DL, and press). Finally I've got my shit together and I'm starting to make some progress. 23 years old, 174.5cm (5'9?) and about 80kg (175 pounds?).
    Here's the last week of workouts, in pounds except where indicated (deadlifts and power cleans).
    11/24
    Squat 225x5x3
    Bench 170x5x3
    Power clean 40kgx3x5 - only just started learning these, so they're not where they should be.
    11/26
    Squat 230x5x3
    Press 117.5x5x3 - last rep was a real grinder, but I'll move the weight up next time and see how that goes.
    Deadlift 140kgx5 - 140 has been a struggle for a couple weeks so I haven't pushed the weight up for a bit, going to reset the weight a bit and work up again.
    11/28
    Squat 235x5x3 - using a belt for the first time, didn't feel much stronger with it, these were tough.
    Bench 175x5x3
    Power clean 50kgx3x5 - easy, but I'll probably be conservative about moving these up until I feel more confident about my execution.

The squats are getting difficult, I might incorporate a light day in the middle as per Practical Programming fairly soon, but I'll try to keep going as is for a bit longer. Also I probably should start alternating my pulls with back extensions and chin-ups. Next workout is tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jeremy McDowell; 11-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Welcome! What's your diet? How many calories are you taking in?

Looking forward to watching you progress

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomac View Post
    Welcome! What's your diet? How many calories are you taking in?

Looking forward to watching you progress
    Thanks! My diet was probably one of the reasons I didn't progress much for so long, I was around 155 pounds for quite a bit. I changed that and finally started to eat more, but I don't have a set diet. I guess that's something to focus on next, getting my diet under control. For now I just try to eat a lot including plenty of 'healthy' food.
    Today's workout:
    12/01
    Squat 240x5x3 - the 5th rep is always difficult, but I got it. 245 next.
    Press 120x4, x4, x5 - first time I've failed to get 5 reps on the 1st two sets but managed to on the last. I think it's because this was the first time I've pressed in a belt, it felt uncomfortable the 1st and 2nd set. I'll stay at 120 next time, I'm confident I'll get it.
    Deadlift 125kgx5 - dropped the weight from last time, this was no problem. I tried using my belt - no go, I'll need a 3" belt if I want to deadlift with one. For now, these will stay beltless.

12/03
    Squat 245x5x3
    Bench 180x5x3
    Power clean 50kgx3x5
    Chins BWx10,8,8

Squats are taking a lot out of me but I can still finish them (last rep at RPE 10 I'd say). Would this be a reasonable time to switch to light squats on Wednesday?

Would this be a reasonable time to switch to light squats on Wednesday?
    You've made great progress in a short amount of time. I'd recommend to delay light days as much as you can - suck it up, eat tons, and keep pushing - grind out these reps! Based on your stats you may have more in you than you think. You could also try an extra day of rest, at least for squats. Every body responds differently - you'll have to experiment and see what works for you.

You're doing great. Got any videos? There might be some simple things the board can help you fix that could extend your LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy McDowell View Post
    Deadlift 140kgx5 - 140 has been a struggle for a couple weeks so I haven't pushed the weight up for a bit, going to reset the weight a bit and work up again.
    Have you started using a mixed grip?

Power clean 50kgx3x5 - easy, but I'll probably be conservative about moving these up until I feel more confident about my execution.
    Also I probably should start alternating my pulls with back extensions and chin-ups.
    If power cleans aren't taking too much out of you, just keep doing three sets of chin-ups after them. When the cleans start leaving you under-recovered for your deadlifts, move chins to their own day, and add the back extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    You've made great progress in a short amount of time. I'd recommend to delay light days as much as you can - suck it up, eat tons, and keep pushing - grind out these reps! Based on your stats you may have more in you than you think. You could also try an extra day of rest, at least for squats. Every body responds differently - you'll have to experiment and see what works for you.
    Thanks, I'll try to keep pushing as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcnulty View Post
    You're doing great. Got any videos? There might be some simple things the board can help you fix that could extend your LP.

Have you started using a mixed grip?

If power cleans aren't taking too much out of you, just keep doing three sets of chin-ups after them. When the cleans start leaving you under-recovered for your deadlifts, move chins to their own day, and add the back extensions.
    Thanks! No videos, my last gym didn't allow them, didn't ask at my new gym though. I'll ask next time.
    I used mixed grip, but my hands get so sweaty it's hard to hold on, so I use double overhand up to 100kg then use straps. I've asked at my gym if chalk is fine and none of the staff seem to know...I'll try to find the manager and ask, or just bring chalk and see if they stop me. Unfortunately finding a new gym isn't gonna happen.
    Yeah the power cleans are still light so they don't wear me out much, I'll give chins their own day when they're more stressful.

Get some liquid chalk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Get some liquid chalk.
    Good idea, thanks. I've seen some tutorials for DIY liquid chalk, anyone have experience making their own? Or should I just buy some?
    Appreciate the replies everyone, I should have started a log sooner!
    If it turns out I can't film or use chalk at my gym I unfortunately have to deal with it. There's not much of a culture of serious strength training here in Japan so I don't have any choice near me aside from a couple 'wellness centres' (in Canada there were a few good gyms I could have gone to near me). I'm at the YMCA now, it's the best in the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast