starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Alright, alright, alright..." - Bickford's Training Log

Default "Alright, alright, alright..." - Bickford's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I read BBT and Practical Programming several years ago, however I failed to embark on a linear progression myself because I felt that I was already "too intermediate". Instead, I chose to program hop, get mixed results, failed to have a clear focus, and never really found the shiny object I was looking for. Several months ago, my wonderful older sister finally decided to commit to trying barbell training and I directed her towards a squat seminar with Tom. I had a wonderful realization that in spite of me recommending to her to train a certain way, that was different than the way I was currently training. I decided that I would start from the beginning with an LP and move forward from there. I am inspired by Justin and AC from 70's who wrote about doing an LP while already having intermediate level numbers. So, I'm starting all over and this time I'm doing it the right way.

Matt Bickford, 24 year old male, 220 pounds, 6'1

Squat - 505 meet
    Bench - 285 pause/meet
    DL (sumo) - 505 meet
    Press - 155x5
    Power Clean - 255

When I began training I was 170 pounds of elbows, knees, belly fat, and six feet tall. I couldn't squat 95# to depth.

For the LP, I won't be doing any cleans. I plan of competing sometime in the spring and at Raw Nationals in the fall. I'm also going to be gaining a bit of weight, both for the spirit of the LP and because USAPL adopted the IPF classes and why would I go down when I can go up. My press and bench are also poor compared to my other lifts and weight gain works 100% of the time.

I'll try to post some videos as much a possible on here and in the form checks. I'm in need of form insights from new folks. I'm pretty new here and don't know my way around too well. I'm going to try to connect with as much of you as possible.
    Last edited by Matt Bickford; 12-09-2014 at 01:34 AM.

I gotta play catch up from last week...

Monday 12/1:
    Squat - 3x5 405
    Bench - 3x5 227.5
    Pullups - 8, 8, 7

Wednesday 12/3:
    Squat - 3x5 410
    Press - 3x5 135
    DL - 405x5, 365x5, 315x5
    BB Curls - 4x10 65#, 90 seconds rest

I pulled sumo in my last meet, but I'm going to pull conventional during the LP for now.

Friday 12/5:
    Squat - 3x5 415
    Bench - 3x5 230
    DB Row - 3x10 110

So far so good. Squats will be loaded 5# at a time, DL's with 10#, and bench and press will get a 2.5# dose. I'm sure all of those increments will be reduced sooner or later.

Proofread more, actual-brah, but STOKED to see you on here!

Let's see the GainzZzz!

Quote Originally Posted by MissusTufnel View Post
    Proofread more, actual-brah, but STOKED to see you on here!

Let's see the GainzZzz!
    When multiple z's are dropped it's hard to not assume we're talking about snoozing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bickford View Post
    When multiple z's are dropped it's hard to not assume we're talking about snoozing.
    sleep gainz critical to strength gainz

Tuesday Training

Warm up - 15 minutes on bike. Lax ball mashing, tube rolls. It turns out that the shipping tubes that our York barbells came in several years ago make really good foam rollers. Next time you buy a barbell, realize that you get 4 free SMR tools! I'm trying some banded squats during warm ups. I toss a mini band around my knees and do several sets of unweighted squats to help with external rotation a bit. I tend to get a bit valgus on my heavier sets. I also suffer from genetic small ass syndrome, hence the poor external rotation. I do a lot of work on my lats to get them loosened up before I squat. When they're too stiff I tend to get some pain in the shoulder at the biceps tendon.

Squat - 3x5 420
    Press - 3x5 140
    DL - 1x5 415

I'm very excited about the squats and the DL right now. 425 is a previous 5RM for both. I'm gonna smash both of those next week.

Squatted 425 for 3x5. This is a 5RM that I hit only a couple month ago leading up to a meet in November. First one was good, 2nd was difficult, and the 3rd was the most difficult set of my life. Not kidding. I strained a muscle in the side of my neck and busted a blood vessel. While I was taking a rest before benching. The Rainageddon west coast super storm knocked the power out in the gym and we had to call it quits for the evening. I was almost relieved. It's certainly time to run switch up to the Texas Method for squats. Although I didn't fail to hit my 3x5 it didn't leave me with an gas in the tank to do my other lifts. I'm yelling uncle. I think I'm going to get to work early tomorrow to do my 3x5 bench and weighted chins.

Friday training:

3x5 BP at 232.5
    3x5 weighted chins w/ 10#

Went light on the chins to leave room to grow.

Saturday I'm going to do my first 5RM for intensity day. I don't think I'll go for a PR and I'd like to take it easy so I'm fresh on volume day on Monday. The TM template for squats will allow me to polish up my form in the squats on the VD and the light day. I might use some TUBOW in those days as well.

Today I am starting a Texas Method style program for my squat and DL. It's all pretty boring and standard for now. I'm going to transition my squat to a 5x5 volume day on Mondays, a light day for 2x5 on Wednesday, and a 5RM on Fridays. As opposed to increasing the weight on the VD each week I'm going to maintain it at 85% of mp the ID weight for now and try to slowly decrease the intensity passively. I'd like to only do the amount of volume needed to increase the weight on the ID. DL will done for one working set of 5 after squats on the ID, and RDL's will be done on Mondays for 10's and progressed 5#'s per week. I'm gonna keep riding the LP train on BP and press while there's still gainz on the table.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday Volume Day

Squat - 5x5x370
    Bench - 3x5x235
    RDL - 3x5x285
    Chinz- 3x5x12.5

First VD for squats. The weight felt rather light which was a nice change from the end of the LP where everything feels terrible. I was able to focus on my form and bar speed as opposed to merely surviving the workout. I was able to keep a better active hip and get rid if all valgus knee action and knee slide with the lower weight. I did feel like I ran out of gas a bit during sets 4 and 5. I'm not conditioned for 5 work sets right now but I'm confident it will be cake next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast