starting strength gym

Thread: Adam Skillin told me to squat 2" high...

Default Adam Skillin told me to squat 2" high...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    and I said I'd tell Rip.

In all seriousness, I had developed some bad habits with the squat earlier this year that I wasn't able to fix entirely on my own. My lifting buddies don't quite know enough about the SS model despite my attempts to teach them and tell them what to look for, so last week I enlisted the help of newly minted SSC Adam Skillin for a tune-up.

Before he even saw me squat, he was able to surmise that I was squatting too low from my description, and a few singles at a decent weight confirmed it for him. So he told me to "squat 2 inches high", which resulted in me hitting proper depth.

He also taught me Press 2.0 while I was there, something I had only messed around with a bit prior to seeing him.

If anyone else in the northern NJ area needs some coaching, you can now go see an SSC without the hassle of driving into NYC, so you have no more excuses.

Adam was very responsive, professional, and overall a great coach. He is a credit to the SS community Rip and others have built.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    and I said I'd tell Rip.

In all seriousness, I had developed some bad habits with the squat earlier this year that I wasn't able to fix entirely on my own. My lifting buddies don't quite know enough about the SS model despite my attempts to teach them and tell them what to look for, so last week I enlisted the help of newly minted SSC Adam Skillin for a tune-up.

Before he even saw me squat, he was able to surmise that I was squatting too low from my description, and a few singles at a decent weight confirmed it for him. So he told me to "squat 2 inches high", which resulted in me hitting proper depth.

He also taught me Press 2.0 while I was there, something I had only messed around with a bit prior to seeing him.

If anyone else in the northern NJ area needs some coaching, you can now go see an SSC without the hassle of driving into NYC, so you have no more excuses.

Adam was very responsive, professional, and overall a great coach. He is a credit to the SS community Rip and others have built.
    Wow. Thanks for the kind words, Rob. I'm truly glad you feel you got something out of our session. It's really nice to get to work with seasoned lifters like yourself who only need minor tweaks to already pretty solid form. Sorry the B&R didn't come until the day after your session. It's being put through its paces and will be nicely broken in by next time.

Good to hear. Adam has given me some pointers on the boards, but I still feel as though I need some "in person" coaching and he's not too far from me (now if only I had free time!)

Make the time jstrain. Nothing compares to having an SSC right there giving you feedback when you execute a lift, and being able to implement changes immediately.