starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's Log of Lacklustre Lifts

Default Luke's Log of Lacklustre Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was at the SS camps in Copenhagen this past weekend and was able to get proper coaching for the first time and as a result of the feedback I received, (thanks Jordan and Tom!), decided to restart/finish my LP.

My past runs with LP took my bodyweight from about 85kg to 100kg, then from 100 to 110kg. Squat went from 40-100kg then 100-135kg. Deadlift went from 60-120kg then 120-160kg. Bench went from 30-75, then 75-97. Press went from 30-45kg, then 45-61kg.

Stats (such as they are):
    Weight: 110kg
    BF%: Mid 30s I guess?

Previous highest work sets:
    Squat: 135kg
    Bench: 97.5kg
    Deadlift: 160kg
    Press: 61.5kg
    PC: Never cleaned before the camps. I bring dishonour to my family, etc.

Squat: 3x5 112.5kg
    Bench: 3x5 90kg
    DL: 1x5 142.5kg

Squat: 3x5 115kg
    Press: 3x5 60kg
    PC: 5x3 42.5kg

Also boo, youtube couldn't blank out the copyrighted music in 2/3 videos so I had to put in random free music. I'm sure you'll all survive.

Squats: Looking at it myself, it looks like the 5th rep might have been a touch shallow and I killed my hip drive by lifting my chest. Also, you can totally see my underwear...ladies. Tiny bit of knee cave coming out of the bottom too. Need to focus on keeping my knees shoved out the whole time.

Press: I've not been able to get the hip action right for 2.0 presses, so I'm sticking with old ones for now. These look mostly OK to me? Other than needing to ALWAYS shrug my shoulders up at the top, I've got the shitty habit of only shrugging up the first and last reps. I also need to get under the bar faster, I struggle with leanback on the last couple reps.

Power Clean: Eeesh, these look rough. In my defence, it's only my 2nd time cleaning. And the goddamn bar kept rolling away for the last rep. The last rep looks the best to me, least amount of arm pull. Need to squeeze my chest up WAY harder though.

Thoughts?

Hi, welcome.

Your squat looked fine, it looks like you were mostly consistent with your depth although I think that you should go a little lower. Are you hitting your stretch reflex at the bottom?

For your press and the hip drive thing I like to think of it as leaning back and immediately pressing. If you don't fall backwards you'll have used your hips. Timing is everything though, practice at lighter weights till you get the hang of it.

I'm not good at the power clean so I really can't tell you much about that.

Looking forward to watching you progress.

Hey, thanks Shaneomac.

Yeah the depth on the squats looks a little iffy, worst on the last rep. Looks like I could bring my stance in a little, that was also something I was cued on at the SS camps.

Hi, how tall are you?

Bout 6'1, 188cm. Why?
    Last edited by Luke Evans; 01-09-2015 at 03:08 AM.

You're about the same stats as me, I'm just 10kg lighter and a cm taller. I like following logs of people with similar height and weight, just to see how stronger than me they are. It's a motivational thing. Sorry I didn't explain earlier

Oh right, no worries. Where are you at in your lifting? Running LP?

Squat: 3x5 117.5kg
    Bench: 3x5 92.5kg
    Deadlift: 1x5 145kg

Did my DLs first so I could film it before it got dark outside. They look ugly. The weight isn't even that heavy for me, I just wasn't getting set properly. Also need to make sure I stand up straight at the top to finish the lockout.

Benching felt fine but I've never really had issues with the bench. I'm curious what people think, especially re: my grip width. Got my grip way out so my pinky is right on the inside ring, but at the bottom my forearms are vertical. At the top it looks like a crazy powerlifter grip width, but normal at the bottom. Thoughts?

Squats felt good. I thought I brought my stance in a little and was getting more hip drive out of the bottom, but it looks like I didn't for my last set.

starting strength coach development program
    You are built for powerlifting to be sure. The 319 lbs. on the DL did indeed look easy for you.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast