starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smyth's Training Log

Default Smyth's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've spent the last 8 years religiously "exercising" (I thought I was training) with trainers employing the muscle confusion/dumbell/exercise ball routine. I did benefit quite a bit initially, and then maintained fairly well a level of fitness, but I realized with Rip's help that I simply wasn't getting stronger. And I'm older, so I was probably getting a little weaker. And, of course, I overcompensated for the lack of strength training, and kept injuring myself (shoulder, bicep, etc.). I don't want to be a weak old guy. So here I am.

After reading the 2nd and 3rd edition of Starting Strength, and then Practical Programming, I finally got in a gym today for my first SS novice workout. Here are the basics:

Male, 51 y/o
    153 pounds
    5'8 1/2"

Squat
    45 2x5
    65 1x5
    85 1x3
    95 1x2
    105 1x1
    115 3x5

Press
    45 3x5
    50 1x3
    55 1x2
    60 3x5

Dead Lift
    45 2x5
    75 1x5
    95 1x3
    115 1x1
    135 1x5

I used the iPhone SS warmup app for the warmup progressions. I hope that these are reasonable weight increases; they seemed consistent with the book. The DL was supposed to be 125 work set but 115 just didn't seem hard enough to only go up 10 pounds. Also, I'm at 24-hour fitness, which has only those dumb ass hexagonal plates, so I wanted to do the work set with a plate (35) that set at roughly the right height.

I won't include all the warmup numbers in the future, but I wanted to show them here in case anyone had any thoughts on any of this.

I felt good with my form, and great after the workout, although I have concern over the deadlift due to the plate situation. I may have to stack some plates under my bar?

Anyway, here we go. I will try to update with each workout.

Just curious about the extra "105 1x1" squat warm-up; and the 115 Dead-lift warm-up being 115 1x1, instead of 115 1x2. I don't have the warm-up app, so are these schemes official developments for the app, or your personal variance?
    ---
    As for putting plates under your bar, does your gym have any Aerobics-class steppers, like the following (doesn't have to be the exact models):

When first learning Deadlifts, and for Power Snatches even now, putting these Step-units under the outer 5" of each of the Olympic sleeves elevated my bar to about the exact height of a standard 45lbs plate.

First log entry, everything looks pretty respectable here!

Anyways, Senor Smyth, here you go indeed. . .

Jeremy (M-T)

Thanks for your comments. My gym has those types of steps, but downstairs and really not available for use. Great idea though. I will have to go back to the Practical Programming book to make sure the app isn't giving me bad advice. I found it on this website's resource page I believe, so I assumed it was reliable. You put in your planned work set weight and it gives you the warm ups. I could have easily done 2 instead of one, so maybe I'll just plan it that way.

Darn it, did I reverse the order of sets and reps? If I do 3 sets of 5 reps with an empty bar, do I list it as 45x3x5 or 45x5x3? I know, I'll check the PP book too; I remember Rip tells us.

I like to call it 3x5 but the book (pg 306-307) shows 5x3. I guess that makes way more sense when you are actually writing in a note book in the gym: 45 lbs x 5 x "lets wait to write down how many sets I do"...

Subscribing to this thread: I want to keep in touch with people of my level as we go through the program. Also, I made a spreadsheet with Rip's recommendations for warmups. I can't post an XLS on the boards, and the PDF is too big, but I would be happy to email it to you. PM me if you are interested.

(Double post) Mods delete.
    Last edited by teebob21; 01-08-2015 at 01:14 AM. Reason: dbl post

Welcome. How did you start off your deadlift warmup at 45 lbs.???

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. How did you start off your deadlift warmup at 45 lbs.???
    Not well. The rack hooks could not be placed low enough, so I did my best to suspend the bar myself in as good a placement as I could. I do not think I will start with an empty bar next time.

Get a couple of technique plates or even bumper plates. That should help immensely.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Get a couple of technique plates or even bumper plates. That should help immensely.
    I don't know what technique plates are but I will look it up. I'm at 24hr fitness, which also has those idiotic hexagonal plates which really screw up the deadlifts. I don't know if 24 hr prohibits bringing things in, but even one of those homemade wooden disks might help a lot. any other thoughts are very welcome.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast