starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubbafat's log. I'm that fat weak guy at the gym.

Default Bubbafat's log. I'm that fat weak guy at the gym.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    12 months ago I weighed 340. Today I'm 268. Alright - I can clean up my diet and I can run slowly all fucking day. Know what I can't do? Lift up heavy things. Shit, let's me honest. I can't really even lift up not-so-heavy things.

After first session of workout A and B - these were my 3x5 work sets:

Squat: 135
    Dead: 125
    Bench Press: 125
    Press: 75
    Clean: 75

Since I was not able to find a good formula to convert miles run to the appropriate weight to lift I started reading SS and went with the instruction to make the mistake of starting too light and progressing.

The dead is probably way low. The rest seem about right given the "Why are you making me do things!" screaming my muscles did. I think when the initial screaming is over and I can walk normally again that I'll be able to progress the dead and squat very quickly.

I've been eating 1800 kcal/day to lose weight and running ~25 miles a week. I'm cutting the running to about 10 miles a week (I truly enjoy trail running so I'm not quitting it). I'm boosting my calories to about 2400 with a transition to 160kg of protein a day (I believe I have a lean mass of about 160lbs).

I know I'm eating less than the books says. I know that isn't doing the plan. I'm just not mentally ready to double my intake yet. This is my problem - I'll get over it.

Wow. 160kg of protein a day. You da man!

I didn't get this fat by not eating 160kg a day!

I have now dead friends which I wish had taken your course of action before they died of diabetes, heart failure, and the like all related to obesity. Good for you. You will have a better life because of what you are doing and probably influence others to the good. I follow your posts with great interest. Where the heck is North Cackalacky?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbafat View Post
    I didn't get this fat by not eating 160kg a day!
    I think you might mean grams, not kilograms.

But welcome and good luck! It sounds like your nutrition isn't a bad place to start.

But seriously, good luck. I'm around 255 and this years goal is to get stronger and not worry about weight too much. Hope it goes down but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Where the heck is North Cackalacky?
    North Carolina.

Just north of South Cackalacky.

Good luck man. I'm also a fat dude, lifting to get stronger and work it off as best I can. It's definitely worth it.

I've been fat and weak and I've been fat and stronger. I can tell you the latter beats the former any goddamn day.

Hi Bubba,

you have to come to a place where carrying extra pounds is not as stigmatized as many other places, and cutting 72 pounds in a year is an achievement worthy of anyone's respect! Welcome to the forum!

I'd stay keep up the cut until you are happy with the weight, then slowly increase intake. 160g of protein may be on the low side. Protein increases satiety as I am sure you know, a little extra won't hurt. I'm much smaller that you are and aim for >200g on most days.

Oh and by this time next year, if you stick with it, you'll be one of the strongest guys at the gym ...

How tall and old are you?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    I've been fat and weak and I've been fat and stronger. I can tell you the latter beats the former any goddamn day.
    That's the plan, man. Thanks.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast