208#
    Day 1
    Squat 95# 5X3
    Bench 75# 5X3
    Deadlift 155# 5X1
    Press TBD
    Power Clean TBD
    My history
    January 2011- I was on a business trip and got winded and sweaty walking up two flights of stairs, I was on my feet for the better part of a day and woke up sore and barely able to get out of bed the next day. I felt horrible, sick, and tired. On that trip I determined I had to do something. Weight at that time 225#, the heaviest I have ever been.

My eating habits changed and I did couch to 5K, ran my first 5K, and hit a lot of the machines in the gym. That was pretty much 2011.

Early to mid 2012 running 3X week, increasing distance a little, machines in the gym, and the occasional crossfit class. I found Stronglifts 5X5 and started that mid 2012 and did that through end of year.

My work outs were taking too long and by early 2013 I was cutting stuff short to keep domestic tranquility. Frankly I was probably resting too much between sets, but who knows. After that I floundered around through most of the year running a couple times a week and getting in 'something' when I could. End of 2013 things were pretty crappy in life with some big changes.

2014 was a continuation of 2013, lots of flopping around doing 'something'. I knew what I wanted to do, I knew what I needed to do, I needed to buy the book, read it, and do the program (please forgive me because I'll probably still run sometimes with my friends). I did a gift exchange on another forum and received Starting Strength for Christmas. I have read, re read, re re read, and I am ready to start.....

Today is DAY 1. I went to the gym and started with a bare bar once again. I did squat, add weight, squat again as prescribed until I found my starting weight as described in the book. Same for bench and deadlift. As outlined in the book the first couple weeks being A/B with A being Squat, Bench, Deadlift and B being Squat, Press, Deadlift until the freshness of the Deadlift wears off and it is well ahead of my squat. I will be doing squat (adding 5#), press (determining starting weight), and deadlift (adding 10#) on my next work out.

I have started my correction of errors on squat. I need to get my nipples pointed at the ground, I am not leaning over enough to keep the bar path correct is what I am saying. I also need to be sure to get the bar low, I had it creep up on three of the five sets. Deadlift felt a bit akward as I had previously used a wider stance. Bench...I am a mess. I must be the only person than does not enjoy bench press as there are two in the gym and I had to wait out two groups to get to the bench.

I don't care where I start because nothing I have done before is relevant. I just want to train and improve with each workout. I'll probably be posting videos soon of my terrible form asking for guidance. I have never done a power clean and have my concerns, but my desire to improve have outweighed those concerns.

Hopefully for Valentines my lovely wife will get me an hour of training with a coach at Strong Gym in Springfield. If I am going to be blessed to have quality coaching this close I need to take advantage of it. With sufficient yelling I am sure that a coach can even get my sorry butt to improve.

I want to be a better man in mind and body, Starting Strength makes sense for working towards that. Long and rambling, but that is what I have done, and that is what brought me here.
    Last edited by HunterRose13; 01-30-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typed all that and forgot to put in my age...the first thing to go is the mind I guess.

Welcome to the forum. We can help with the yelling if you want. You took a big step when you took control of your life in 2011 - and it's about to get even better. We'll be here to help you along!

Maybe you can find a SSC (they are listed on this site) to ensure you are getting quality coaching.

I've learned to enjoy all of the lifts but I enjoy Deadlift a great deal more than the Bench. Follow the book. Rip knows what he is doing. Check the forum for a properly trained and certified coach near you. Get a consultation and if you can afford it hire him/her as your coach. SS really is the Gold Standard for strength training in a safe environment. Letting us know your age is also helpful. I'm within a few days of 68.

Thank you for the replies. I know that Starting Strength is what I need. I am blessed that Strong Gym in Springfield, MO is a Starting Strength gym. I actually found the gym before finding the book and forums. They are only a few minutes from my office. I have a membership at a gym closer to my house and another at my office that I will be using for workouts, but I will be doing an hour with a trainer at Strong Gym the first week of March.

Welcome to the world of getting stronger! Get some!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I've learned to enjoy all of the lifts but I enjoy Deadlift a great deal more than the Bench. Follow the book. Rip knows what he is doing. Check the forum for a properly trained and certified coach near you. Get a consultation and if you can afford it hire him/her as your coach. SS really is the Gold Standard for strength training in a safe environment. Letting us know your age is also helpful. I'm within a few days of 68.
    Doh! 41, still plenty young I added it to my original post also. Thank you for catching the age oversight. Is there any additional information that would be helpful? I have no chronic health issues. I go to my chiropractor once a year or so unless I really screw something up and that has not happened in three years or more.

I guess stating my goals would help also....
    General
    1)Get stronger
    2)Get less fat while getting stronger

Specific
    Short(ish)term (3 months or less)
    1)Get coaching
    2)Squat my body weight
    3)Get my body weight to 200# (so meet in the middle with squat going up and body weight staying mostly stable)
    4)Do a power clean with good form

Mid term (3-9 months)
    1)Bench my body weight
    2)Press 100# (this might happen earlier, but man do I suck at press even though I like doing it)
    3)Do a set of 5 pull ups/chin ups

Long term(9+months)
    1)Get damn strong compared to where I am now
    2)Be the cool old guy at the gym.

I thought about setting some of my old PRs from when I was doing Strong Lifts as goals, but like I said the past is irrelevant. I found a quote from Rip that sums up my thought process "I'm not interested in what's been done in the past. I'm interested in what should be done."

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    General
    1)Get stronger
    2)Get less fat while getting stronger
    You've got the same goals as me!

Squat
    45# 5X3
    60# 3X1
    80# 2X1
    100# 5X3

Press
    Worked up to 60#
    60# 5X3

Deadlift
    95# 3X2
    140# 2X1
    165# 5X3

Press, need to work on form ALOT. It felt good, but felt sloppy.

Deadlift, Need to remember to breathe. Breathe, up, down, breathe. I did two or three reps and realized I was holding my breath.

Overall, but I rushed myself a little. Need to slow down and tighten things up.

Hopefully Monday will be more relaxed.

Did some light cardio to warm the body up and hit the foam roller. I have a new best friend at the gym and that is foam roller. Nothing horrible, but my hamstrings felt a little tight. A little rolling and I feel like I have new legs.

Reflecting on deadlifts. 95# was light as all get out and a mess to try and stack stuff to get the barbell at the proper height (same height that it would be with 45# plates). I'm going to warm up with 135# today and go from there.

Goal for today, slow down, slow down, slow down. Work on set up and form.

starting strength coach development program
    Correction to my 1/31 work out.

Deadlift was
    165# 5x1 NOT 5X3. Couldn't go back and edit that post for some reason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast