starting strength gym

Thread: A quick SS/TM Ripp Testimonial

Default A quick SS/TM Ripp Testimonial

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started the program in my early twenties, about four and a half years ago. I slowly saw sense and transitioned over from one of the many disgusting and offensive bodybuilding splits that stunk and clogged up the internet like a blocked toilet.

I'm English so I work in Kilos. I started off with 100x5x3 for the squat, and similar numbers for the bench and Deadlift. I did the program, increasing the weight incrementally, deloading when necessary, and transitioning over to TM and using DE work as it is vividly outlined in the book.

I finished my 5x5 work for my squats tonight at 240kg A number I wouldn't have dreamed doing for one rep before encountering starting strength. The work ethic required has also helped me out for other tasks that are extra curricular to the weightlifting scene.

I had my own personal problems with the program sure. I've rarely ever skipped a workout, but I found gaining bodyfat an issue. Dieting while doing the program definitely slowed my progress by a year or so.

Anyway, thanks to Rip and the coaches on doing such a fine job.

What great results.

What version of TM did you use? Would you mind posting your programming?

I did it as Rip outlined. 5x5 Monday, always. Then Wednesday a set of 5 at 90% of Monday, then push for 5 on Friday.

Fives on Fridays started to stagnate after a few resets so I switched to threes, threes seem to work better for me and my Friday sets progressed nicely for months. During this time I'd only up my 5x5 volume if I couldn't get the three on the Friday.

Eventually threes started to stagnate as well. I decided to do dynamic effort work on Fridays, just how Rip outlines in the book. I did that, and really focused on grinding out the 5x5 on a Monday, going up 2.5kg every week. I also changed my recovery work on a Wednesday to a double 5kg over the previous workout's 5x5 weight. this is because I like the idea of having something heavy on my back more than once a week.

I got up to 240 and started feeling sick and over trained after the workout, so I decided to drop 5x5 entirely. Mondays now is simply two sets of five still going up 2.5 every week. Before I start the sets I do a single at five kilos over whatever the weight for the 5s is. this seems to load my neurological system nicely and make the weight a bit more manageable for when I attempt the two sets of five.

Hope this helps.