Thread: Oly lifting with big spiders

Default Oly lifting with big spiders

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age = 40 in 6 months
    BW = 82kg
    Height = 5 ft 6
    I have been Olympic Lifting for about 12 yrs. Last years PBs( all kgs) were 91kg Snatch, 113 C&J,116 Clean,160 Squat,130 Front Squat, 70 Press and 150 Deadlift. I currently hold some Masters Records.
    I train alone in a small shed. Well actually i share it with some huge spiders, who tend to hide behind my wrist wraps hanging on the wall. Find it no problem training alone, but i do tend to program hop which is bad. Sometimes on Saturdays i do a road trip to train at my nearest facility to use the platform and Werksan.
    About to embark on the OLY Hybrid program, but as my training had been erratic recently, i will novice the strength work until it stops. Thanks for reading!

Last night( all weights kgs):
    Squat 115,120,120 5s
    Press 53,55,55 5s
    Deadlift to 120 1 set 5
    Then used inversion boots to hang upside down from my outside chin up bar in the snow! Ice was making cracking noises which, coupled with a dark night, didn't make it easy to relax.
    Sprained wrist on Saturday at dinner table (!!!), so strapped wrist heavily.
    Last edited by ColinKBell; 02-03-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: forgot to insert all weights in KGs

Tonight ( all weight kilos)
    Snatch 70 10 singles on the minute
    C&J 90 10 singles on the 90secs
    Nice hang on chin bar under the stars afterwards.
    On the lifts my form was much better by the end.

Very nice Olympic lifts there Colin. But why is your deadlift so low compared to the others?

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Very nice Olympic lifts there Colin. But why is your deadlift so low compared to the others?
    You are totally correct. I have no idea why my deadlifts feel so hard. I find it hard to even break the bar from floor when it gets heavy. Its the exact same thing in my clean pulls - i can snatch pull in much better form. I would really like to deadlift more, much more.

Well, the usual suspect when the squat is higher than the deadlift is that the person is squatting high. However in your case, the C&J makes that an unlikely explanation.

But a 160 squat should really translate to a 200 deadlift or so, barring freakish proportions. Again, the C&J rules out the freakish proportions.

The next question is grip. Are you using chalk and an alternating grip? Or straps? Or a hook grip (strong hookers only)?

Failing that as an explanation, the only thing I can think of is trying to set up for the deadlift with the butt extra low and the shoulders behind the bars. Sometimes Olympic lifters do that. That'll kill the deadlift dead.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Well, the usual suspect when the squat is higher than the deadlift is that the person is squatting high. However in your case, the C&J makes that an unlikely explanation.
    Yes, my squats are all ass to ground.
    But a 160 squat should really translate to a 200 deadlift or so, barring freakish proportions. Again, the C&J rules out the freakish proportions.

The next question is grip. Are you using chalk and an alternating grip? Or straps? Or a hook grip (strong hookers only)?
    Yes i use chalk and have tried all 3 grip options.

Failing that as an explanation, the only thing I can think of is trying to set up for the deadlift with the butt extra low and the shoulders behind the bars. Sometimes Olympic lifters do that. That'll kill the deadlift dead.
    I will try to make a video of my deadlift thanks for all this. Due to deadlift next Monday. I put in my notes above in your text quotes.

Snow and ice finally gone, cant wait to hit my outdoor pullup station tonight. Rocky rules!

I think DL suffers a bit due to fatigue/accumulation of overall pulling volume. I know saw minimal improvements on my conventional DL while I did various olympic pulls (full, power, partials). Once that sort of pulling volume is reduced your conventional DL will (or should) shoot up. At least that's been my experience. Heavy conventional DLs can be a bitch to recover from too (varies by individual).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I think DL suffers a bit due to fatigue/accumulation of overall pulling volume. I know saw minimal improvements on my conventional DL while I did various olympic pulls (full, power, partials). Once that sort of pulling volume is reduced your conventional DL will (or should) shoot up. At least that's been my experience. Heavy conventional DLs can be a bitch to recover from too (varies by individual).
    Thanks for that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast