Default Novice 37 yr old--BP and PR questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Background: Obese and sick of it.

Weight: 265 (down from 289)
    Height 5' 10"
    Wide/Large frame

I have just started the SS program and am having good progress on DL and SQ, but I can't seem to dial in the correct weights for BP and PR.

I have good range of motion and good back and leg strength, so I did not need to condition w/leg presses. No problems getting into SQ or DL positions. No problems adding 10 to 15 lbs during these first 3 weeks.

My triceps and chest have always been the weakest portion of my anatomy. My workout set consistently looks like 1x5,1x4,1x3. Light weights starting at 115 (for bp). Added 5 lbs per time. Today my BP weight was 135 and could only do 1x4, 1x3, and 1x1. Should I go back to 115 and work back up at 2 lb intervals?

PR started at 65 now to 95. Doing a bit better w/those. Workout set at last session was 1x5, 1x4, 1x4. Not sure how much I should go up.

are you saying that you are getting 1x5 1x 4 1x3 on a certain weight and still raising weight the next session? If so, that is wrong, do not add 5 pounds unless you get 5 5 5

I am getting 1x5, 1x4, and 1x3 on a certain weight for the workout set(s). This was the only part of the program, at this point, that I am not that clear on. Wasn't sure if I should add weight every workout if I could not complete the full 3x5 workout set. Should I step back, and if so, how much? Also, should I be adding weight every time at the novice phase? (I must admit, part of this is realizing that I am not 30 years old any more).

Quote Originally Posted by slhuckstead View Post
    My workout set consistently looks like 1x5,1x4,1x3. Light weights starting at 115 (for bp). Added 5 lbs per time. Today my BP weight was 135 and could only do 1x4, 1x3, and 1x1. Should I go back to 115 and work back up at 2 lb intervals?

read the book

1) How much are you resting between work sets? Generally, you rest as long as you NEED. Which may be 5 minutes or more. But not 90 seconds.

2) Do you have microplates (1.25lbs, 0.5lbs, etc.)? If not, get them NOW. If you can't add 5lbs per session, you need to start adding less. Microloading is NOT optional. Take the plates with you when working out in a gym.

Tiburon,

I have both SS and Practical Programming and am reading and re-reading and making notes. Just not understanding what exactly I needed to do when your body doesn't respond to the standard increase sequence as Mark describes in PP. I will go through it again to make sure I get the concepts down with more clarity. But that's why this forum is here, right? Gotta ask the guys who know, so you can help us newbies 1) Not mess up the SS program, 2) Teach us so we can teach others. I understand the mechanics and what is need for proper form and performance of the exercises--those portions are clear as day for me.

Miro,

1) I am not resting long enough. I was only allowing about 90 seconds between sets. I know with proper rest between sets I could do the 3x5's.
    2) Going to get plates today (made a note to myself last night). I have to accept I am not 30 anymore, so it is going to take more work to get strong. I see that I can't move up the BP and PR like the SQ and DL. Will swallow my pride and accept baby steps and patience--'cause impatience got me to where I am today and I am done with that.

It's a little unclear in your post. But it seems like you are adding weight before you actually got 3 sets of 5 reps completed. Perhaps drop back 10-15 pounds and complete 3 sets of 5. If you finish 3 of 5 then add 5 pounds the next session. If you don't hen repeat that weight the next session.

Quote Originally Posted by slhuckstead View Post
    Tiburon,

I have both SS and Practical Programming and am reading and re-reading and making notes. Just not understanding what exactly I needed to do when your body doesn't respond to the standard increase sequence as Mark describes in PP. I will go through it again to make sure I get the concepts down with more clarity. But that's why this forum is here, right? Gotta ask the guys who know, so you can help us newbies 1) Not mess up the SS program, 2) Teach us so we can teach others. I understand the mechanics and what is need for proper form and performance of the exercises--those portions are clear as day for me.

Miro,

1) I am not resting long enough. I was only allowing about 90 seconds between sets. I know with proper rest between sets I could do the 3x5's.
    2) Going to get plates today (made a note to myself last night). I have to accept I am not 30 anymore, so it is going to take more work to get strong. I see that I can't move up the BP and PR like the SQ and DL. Will swallow my pride and accept baby steps and patience--'cause impatience got me to where I am today and I am done with that.
    How about you wait a full 10 mins between sets. You can work on warming up the next exercise while you wait. After you establish a decent strength base, you can work on conditioning. I have to think that if you are a true rank novice, just doing 3X5 of your base SS exercises, you are increasing your conditioning baseline.

I am going through the warmup program. Below is my BP sequence (calculated by the SS App):

(*=weight)
    *x2x5
    Increase*x1x5
    Increase*x1x3
    Increase*x1x2
    Increase*x1x1
    Workout sets
    Target weight x 3 x 5

So today looked like
    45x2x5
    75x1x5
    95x1x3
    115x1x2
    125x1x1
    135x3x5 (was actually 135x1x5, 135x1x4, 135x1x1)

I have been working through one exercise at a time (first squats, than BP or PR, than DL)--that's how I understood the program. Perhaps I can be less rigid than?

starting strength coach development program
    Modifying that too. I wasn't factoring in caloric burn due to my workout and increasing my intake to meet my basic needs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast