Thread: Sullivan's Strength

Post Sullivan's Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 35 y/o, married, 2 children

5'8" 162 lbs
    BF% 16 (3 site skin fold)

I stumbled upon Starting Strength last July while searching for a program to get myself in shape. At that time I felt fatigued, weak, and in piss poor physical condition in general. I read the book (a few times), but due to my work schedule and that of my wife's, I'm not able to get to a gym. I've spent the last few months saving for the necessary equipment to do the program from home. In the mean time I was doing what I guess you can call "practice" for the program. All I had was a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a pull up bar. I used a 4' wood dowel to simulate the lifts and work on form (until I got a bar), and used the dumbbells and body weight exercises to to gain some strength along the way. I made some changes to my diet as well. I cut out soda, sweets, chips ect and drank beer only on occasions. I increased my consumption of water, fruit, and veggies. I wasn't counting calories nor was I trying to decrease my caloric intake. I just wanted to clean up my diet.

Things were going well for a few months and then in October my father passed away. My diet went downhill and my workouts became less regular and eventually ceased. Then in November I had my gall bladder removed. A blood test prior to my surgery showed my A1C level at 5.7 so I was diagnosed as a pre diabetic. I guess I didn't clean up my diet as well as I thought. This was a huge wake up call and struck a strong cord with me due to my fathers' history as a diabetic. I witnessed what this disease can do to a persons quality of life if they're not committed to changing their lifestyle and eating habits. Other than not being obese, my dad could've been a case study for what Sully calls the "sick aging phenotype." Suddenly Starting Strength has taken on a whole new meaning for me as my diagnoses scared the ever living shit out of me.

Finally I'm ready to start the program. I've acquired the basic equipment. So with all that out of the way, here's my first training session.

Mon 2/16/15

Squat:
    45x5x3
    55x5x1
    65x5x1
    75x5x1
    85x5x3>>> these went as expected....weak

Press
    45x5x2
    55x5x1
    65x5x1
    75x5x3>>> the bitch with these is that I have to move the bar and weight upstairs from the basement due to low ceiling and I have to clean the weight rather than unrack it. Saving for a squat stand to do these in the garage. I figure I can brave the cold/heat for 20 mins.

Deadlift
    135x5x1
    145x5x1
    155x5x1>>>> a bit surprised, I may have been able to go another 10lbs but decided to stop there...must be from all those years working in a lumber yard...a bit uncomfortable with my form here too.
    Last edited by Mark Sullivan; 02-17-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Welcome to the club.I can tell you that if you follow the program you will get stronger. I hadn't worked out for a few years, then in the fall I started doing some sqts and benches in my garage. I came across an article by Mr. Rippitoe on the web and found his program interesting. I started doing the lifts but due to my age modified it to,twice a week. I got the books and see that is what is recommended for a geezer like me. I am sure you are going to be told you need to gain some weight,look,at the nutrition section here,full,of great info. Good luck with the program.

You are right where I was when I began. You'll soon be buying new pants with more cross section in the thighs and looking for ways to use your new strength. Best advise is to make sure you get your protein in. It will really keep the gains coming at a rapid rate.

I wouldn't be too tempted to go GOMAD. I'm still working on removing the fluff around the waste from that experiment.

cheers
    Damo

Thanks for the welcome Jerry. Funny that the first reply is from a fellow New Yorker. I'm out on the Island. Gaining weight is a goal of mine. That may be the most difficult part for me, but I'm committed to getting it done. Thanks again!

Thanks for checking in Oz. I look forward to having to buy new suits, though my wife may not be lol. Considering my age, current bf, and sugar issues, I decided not to go GOMAD. I will be drinking some milk (3 pints a day for now), and will keep a close eye on my blood sugar.

I envy that you have equipment at home. Nice press. Are you doing Press 2.0? Deadlift is one that you just keep reading the chapter and then the light bulb goes on. That first pull that you get things right will feel really good.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    I envy that you have equipment at home. Nice press. Are you doing Press 2.0? Deadlift is one that you just keep reading the chapter and then the light bulb goes on. That first pull that you get things right will feel really good.
    Lifting at home is my only option right now with two young kids and our work schedules being what they are. I'm lifting at night after the kids are put to bed. The equipment is nothing fancy, though I did splurge on the B&R bar. I'm doing the press as described in 3rd edition which I believe is 2.0. Thank for the kind words on that. With the Deadlift, I feel I just need to get comfortable with the start position. It feels a bit awkward right now. I'm sure with the more reps I get under my belt the more comfortable I will be with it.
    Last edited by Mark Sullivan; 02-17-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Wed 2/18

Squat
    45x5x2
    55x5x1
    65x3x1
    75x2x1
    85x1x1
    95x5x3>>>these went up fairly easy, I thought the squats would be hell considering how sore I've been since Monday, but once I started I felt nothing that I expected.

Bench Press
    45x5x2
    55x5x1
    65x5x1
    75x5x1
    85x5x1
    95x5x1
    105x5x3>>>yes I was a bench bro for some time, but that was over 10 years ago. Probably could've gone higher but there was a noticeable difference in bar speed so I stopped.

Deadlift
    45x5x2
    85x5x1
    115x3x1
    145x1x1
    165x5x1>>>I can tell my bar path isn't straight enough, but I felt better in the set up tonight. In case anyone is wondering, I used blocks for the warmup sets to get the right height off the floor.

Hi Mark, I am on the Island ,Franklin Square. Didn't want to venture too far from Brooklyn. Going to WO today in the cold gargage. DL, press and row. Try 240 x 5 for the DL, 97.5 5x3 for press,and 140 x3 for the rows.

starting strength coach development program
    Great job getting started.

Late-30's with 4 kids here - I can appreciate the struggle to find time. I'm just coming into a month along and can tell you that it's worth it.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast