starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate's (auto)-REGULATOR Log

Default Nate's (auto)-REGULATOR Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all, my name is Nate. I'm a 27 year old (5'8'', BW 200) soon to be MD, that was once a HS football athlete turned endurance athlete (collegiate club road/mtb cyclist/runner), now most recently converted powerlifter. Been srsly training as of March 2014, but first dabbled with the Starting Strength model in January 2013.

After competing in my first powerlifting meet recently, I am relocating my log to this sub-forum with hopes of facilitating further gainzZz™. I am fortunate to have great friends and coaches alike, and have been training under the coaching/programming wisdom of Austin and Jordan, both who frequent this sub-forum.

Meet Video: SPF Cupid's Classic 02/14/15, 1,160 lbs total BW 198 lbs

Initial lifts (BW 172 lbs) -----> Competition lifts (BW 198)

Squat 165x5 -----> 410x1
    Bench 145x5 -----> 300x1
    Deadlift 135x5 ----> 450x1
    Press 70x5 ----> 175x4 (gym PR)
    Power Clean 135x5 ----> 205x3 (gym PR)

Programming: SS LP --> TM --> Auto-regulation RPE system

You'll find my old log here.

Looking forward to getting back to training after the meet and getting my lifts up (especially DL). Thanks for reading!

Hey, Nate. I'm looking forward to following along. It looks like you've made some impressive progress over the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Hey, Nate. I'm looking forward to following along. It looks like you've made some impressive progress over the past year.
    Vince, thanks for the comment! You clearly have some impressive numbers yourself, I was perusing the Competitive Lifter logs a few months back and caught your USAPL OH State video--great stuff! I'd be really happy if I could get my squat and deads up into the 500s...

Wednesday, 2/18/15, BW 200

2-Ct Paused Squats, beltless, rehbands
    225x5 @6, 255x5 @7, 275x5 @8.5, 275x5 @9

Bench, touch and go
    225x5 @8, 235x5 @8.5, 235x5 @8.5

Competition Deadlift w/ belt, in shoes
    Conventional pulls up to 315x5 @7, then switched to sumo pulls to try them out

335x5 @6, 365x5 @8, 380x5 @9.5 5lb PR

So, I didn't expect to hit a PR during my recovery phase week following the meet! The conventional deadlift has been extremely challenging and frustrating for as long as I've been training. I tend to have difficulty setting my lower back, and when the loads get heavy lumbar flexion tends to ensue. I may be in the 10% of people that don't know how to control their lumbar erectors. I also have been pulling in shoes because I tend to roll my shoulders/torso posteriorly as I initiate the pull. Basically, my form was a mess.

Until recently, I'd been resistant to pulling sumo but agreed to work it in after my first meet. Not only did the weight go up easier today to allow me to set a PR, but my back looked significantly better per coach's eyes. I will definitely be pulling sumo for the foreseeable future.

Welcome over here bud! Your log title made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

Good work today, sumo looked a million times better for you. I smell some PR's comin'

Quote Originally Posted by anb View Post
    Welcome over here bud! Your log title made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

Good work today, sumo looked a million times better for you. I smell some PR's comin'
    Hey man, I'm glad someone picked up on that! Let's hope so, I'm pumped to make some PRs happen while we're still living the med stud life.

- Nate D-O-GG

"Sixteen in the clip and one in the hole, Nate Dogg is about to make some bodies turn cold"
    Subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by NtG View Post
    Vince, thanks for the comment! You clearly have some impressive numbers yourself, I was perusing the Competitive Lifter logs a few months back and caught your USAPL OH State video--great stuff! I'd be really happy if I could get my squat and deads up into the 500s...
    Thanks, man. You will absolutely hit those numbers before long. You're already on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by NtG View Post
    So, I didn't expect to hit a PR during my recovery phase week following the meet! The conventional deadlift has been extremely challenging and frustrating for as long as I've been training. I tend to have difficulty setting my lower back, and when the loads get heavy lumbar flexion tends to ensue. I may be in the 10% of people that don't know how to control their lumbar erectors. I also have been pulling in shoes because I tend to roll my shoulders/torso posteriorly as I initiate the pull. Basically, my form was a mess.
    Is it possible that your belt was making it too difficult to get your lumbar spine into proper extension? I had the same problem until I moved the belt higher on my torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Nermin View Post
    "Sixteen in the clip and one in the hole, Nate Dogg is about to make some bodies turn cold"
    Subscribed.
    Excellent line, perhaps my favorite from the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Is it possible that your belt was making it too difficult to get your lumbar spine into proper extension? I had the same problem until I moved the belt higher on my torso.
    I don't think so, because even with lighter paused Deads I often had trouble with form break down. Nonetheless, I will likely incorporate conventional pulls as an assistance and try sliding my belt up. Only issue with that is that I have a lever belt, which poses a mild inconvenience with adjusting size (especially when you're training at my heavier, bloated training weight).

Thursday GPP, 2/19/15

Chins
    Total: 61
    BW x 12, 12, 11/1, 6/4/2, 5/2/3/3

The eleventh rep of the third set was an all out grinder, hence the drop in consecutive reps.

C2 Rower
    7 rounds, :20s on/1:40s off
    Avg 45 s/m, >520 watts

Yeah, love these.

Friday, 2/20/15

Beltless Squat w/ rehbands

275x5 @6-7, 315x5 @8, 325x5 @9

Knees felt extra creaky/swollen today, might've been from rowing yesterday or the all-time low of 9'F in Norfolk today. Knees came in slightly on the last set despite consciously cueing myself to shove knees out hard. When that fatigue sets in, the knees caved a bit.

Press w/ belt
    135x7 @7, 145x7 @8.5, 145x7 @9

2-Ct Paused DL
    Worked up with triples and doubles hooked grip to 275 set. 275x5 @7, 315x5 @9 (w/ straps)

Sumos weren't feeling great today, likely due to technique issues. I need to find a description of the sumo model/form to get my setup down.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey! I thought that I'd check in on the new log. Great work so far. I'm interested to see how the sumo pulling works out for you. I'm still very resistant to it for no logical reason. Anyway, if you haven't already, you should watch a few hours of Dan Green pulling sumo. I'm only half joking. Actually, I'm serious. Haha.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what the future holds!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast