starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Impossible

Cool Mission Impossible

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Your mission should you accept it...

After years of life trials and tribulations and not doing too much fitness-wise I've decided to become stronger.

A few words about myself: 35 year old male, runner's build with a bit of skinny fat (18%). Twisted pelvis, had hemorrhoids before and have suffered immensely the past year from an anal fissure (don't look it up, it is much much worse than it sounds). I finally got my health more or less on track in the past month and decided to step into a strength problem. Hoping that it'll help and not make matters worse.

Today was my first training session with a Starting Strength coach, obviously the goal was to work on proper technique.

Squat: 70 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 115 x 5
    Deadlift: 65 x 5 x 3

The coach has suggested that I perhaps would want to start strength training 2 times per week. I do plan to take it slow and conservative because of my prior lower back issues, twisted pelvis and past hemorrhoid troubles.

Off to reading the blue book.

The book is good. Welcome. Sorry for your problems in the past and happy that you have found a certified SS coach to help. Who do you have for a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    The book is good. Welcome. Sorry for your problems in the past and happy that you have found a certified SS coach to help. Who do you have for a coach?
    It is Alex at Element Crossfit.

Here's update for my last two workouts.

Monday, Feb 23
    Squat 75 x 5 x 3
    Press 30 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 30 x 5 x 1

Numbers are very low, especially for the deadlift, but I'm having trouble doing proper worm ups on it with the barbell being this close to the ground. Hopefully it will improve soon.

Wednesday, Feb 25
    Squat 80 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 120 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 45 x 5 x 2

I don't quite understand what you mean by "this close to the ground." Do you have access to bumper plates that are the same size as the 45 lb plates? If you do they won't be that close to the ground. What bar are you using to do a 30 pound DL or even a 45 lb DL? Where do you train? My concern is that if you start with the bar too low you will not be able to do a proper DL. Do you have a video you can post? BTW Is your coach a certified SS coach?

I don't quite understand what you mean by "this close to the ground." Do you have access to bumper plates that are the same size as the 45 lb plates? If you do they won't be that close to the ground. What bar are you using to do a 30 pound DL or even a 45 lb DL? Where do you train? My concern is that if you start with the bar too low you will not be able to do a proper DL. Do you have a video you can post? BTW Is your coach a certified SS coach?
    Because I'm starting out with a VERY light weight, my bar is pretty much unloaded - I did not have any technical plates that I can put on it. And I have used an 11 pound barbell for deadlift (similar dimensions to the standard barbell, just made out of aluminum), that's how I was able to get 30 lbs.

Starting with the bar too low is the exact issue that I'm dealing with. I've purchased a pair of 3 lbs tech plates that are of a proper diameter and plan to use them in my next workout. I wonder how people solve the issue of positioning the barbell for deadlift especially for the warm up sets (aren't you supposed to use an empty bar?).

It's nearly impossible to do a deadlift with an empty bar. Can you get a video to show us what you are doing? Is your coach a certified Starting Strength coach?

It's nearly impossible to do a deadlift with an empty bar. Can you get a video to show us what you are doing? Is your coach a certified Starting Strength coach?
    That's exactly what I'm finding out. I am able to try it with some training plates tomorrow so will see how that goes. I will also shoot a video in the next few days (excellent suggestion).
    Alex is a certified SS trainer and is an excellent one. He did show me proper technique, I think my biggest struggle is the empty bar and figuring out how to do proper warm ups.

From what I understand the lightest possible warmup weight will be 65lbs? And that assumes that one has access to the bumper plates. So if I am working out at a regular gym that does not have those, what are my options? Thanks.

I think the only option is the one you are taking. You've ordered tech plates. I don't know why the "fitness" centers have such a hatred for Dead lifts. But if you bring your tech plates with you each time you go you will be able to start to do Dead lifts properly.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright, today's session was:

Squat 85x5x3
    Press 55x5x3
    Deadlift 80x5x3

I shot some videos as well, would appreciate any comments:

http://youtu.be/ZO3wp6FWK2Q

http://youtu.be/putj4NVxgys

http://youtu.be/NCwitCe1LUg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast