starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Training Log of Mediocrity

Default My Training Log of Mediocrity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I guess I'm an Intermediate because I decided to be one? I figured it'd be a good idea to start a log, mostly as a way to kick myself in the ass and keep moving, even when I don't want to.

Currently, I'm 37, about 6'2'' and 265ish lbs. Sometime in 2013, I decided I ought to get a bit more serious about getting stronger. I had been going to the Y for cardio and some random dicking around in the weight room to finish off my workout. Cancelled the membership and bought a rack and weights to work out at home.

Based on SL 5x5, I started with just the bar. Ran that for awhile and switched to 3x5, but my progression sucked. Not sure if it was form or what, but I took a major break around May of 2014. My 3x5 numbers were roughly...

Squat: 240
    DL: 280
    Bench: 185
    Press: 135

Started back up in mid October 2014 with pretty light weights just to get back in the swing of things. Since my progression yielded pretty poor progress in my estimation, I figured I'd take it reeeaaallly slow, especially with squats. I started them back at around 165 and figured I'd only add 10lbs per month.

Then a weird thing happened. I finally got the gist of hip drive and all of the sudden, my squat got momentum. I took it up to about 290 for 3x5. and began running out of gas there. Likewise, my bench and press were hitting the wall around 205 and 145, respectively. I hadn't worked deadlifting back into my program at this point.

In February, I began to think about moving to a more intermediate program to help my squat progress, but I also wanted to add more volume for the bench and press. Decided to modify the Texas Method to cover both, and came up with this...

Day One: 5x5 squats, bench, and press. Each lift at roughly 80% of my 5RM.

Day Two: 2x5 squats at roughly 70% of 5RM, 3x5 bench and press at roughly 70% of my 5RM. 1x5 Deadlift aiming for a new 5RM.
    Day Three: 1x5 squat, bench, and press. Each lift aiming for a new 5RM.

Not sure how long this will last with this much volume each day, but it did unstick my bench and press and get them moving up over the past couple weeks.

The other thing I need to get serious about is nutrition. I didn't bother with any protein shakes over the past 4 months, and I'm sure that I'm not getting anywhere close to to 265 grams per day. Just ordered a big jug of powder so I can try to get a steady and increased protein intake.

Short term goals are to get a solid 3 plate squat and 2 plate bench. Also need to lose some some fat, as a fair portion of that 265lbs isn't muscle.

Longer term, I'd like to get my press to 200, bench to 250, squat to 350, and deadlift to 400. Also need to fit in a visit to a coach.

Last Sunday was my volume day.

Squated 255 for 5x5, bench 190 for 5x5, and pressed 135 for 5x5

Tuesday, squared 225 for 2x5, pressed 120 for 3x5, and benched 170 for 3x5

Snow day thursday, so I got to workout in the morning. I did press and bench first, figuring that might give me a bit more juice instead of trying them after the squat.

Presses went decently at 155 x 5
    Bench felt really weak this morning. Managed 220 x 5, but everything felt weak, including my warmups at 135.
    Squat actually felt pretty good at 290 x 5.

Didn't have anything in me but a bowl of cereal and some coffee. Not sure if having more of a meal or lifting in the evening would have helped, but the bench and press are both PRs, so I'll take it.

Volume day

Sq: 260x5x5
    OP: 140x5x5
    BP: 190x5x5

Intensity day was only 48 hours ago, but had the free time this morning and wanted to get VD in now instead of waiting another day. After lifting on ID, spent all day moving furniture around the house for some room swaps, along with shoveling snow. Haven't slept great the past couple of nights, but feeling happy with performance today.

Light Day

SQ: 240x2x5
    BP: 170x3x5
    SP: 125x3x5
    DL: 285x1x5

Squats felt pretty crappy today. Been cutting carbs out in an effort to shed some fat. Guessing that may be part of it, or more likely, I'm just weak. Bench felt really good. Deadlift is getting back up to where I stopped it last summer. I can definitely feel my grip not being up to the task. Also been progressing by 10lbs. May need to switch to 5lbs jumps.

Due to some home renovations, I moved my weights and rack from the garage to the basement. Really happy about not having to lift in an unheated garage (and will be enjoying the AC in the summer), but there isn't enough room to overhead press. Going to try seated presses for now. I was surprised how easily 125 went up. I thought I may have to dial things way back for being seated, but looking like I might keep things pretty close to my original overhead numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
    I guess I'm an Intermediate because I decided to be one? I figured it'd be a good idea to start a log, mostly as a way to kick myself in the ass and keep moving, even when I don't want to.
    In on this.

The other thing I need to get serious about is nutrition. I didn't bother with any protein shakes over the past 4 months, and I'm sure that I'm not getting anywhere close to to 265 grams per day. Just ordered a big jug of powder so I can try to get a steady and increased protein intake.
    I was a bigger guy once, like really big, 310lbs at 6'1 (much bigger than you), completely untrained and sedentary. I made two big mistakes. The first was losing the weight too fast, I dropped to 180lbs within 9 months, with that came a shitload of strength and lean muscle loss which has complicated things in my training pursuits. The second was not lifting until I'd lost that weight. To that end, I'm now fully invested in wanting to help others who want to lose weight the right way (which admittedly is a relative term, but when it comes to actually wanting favourable composition and maintaining strength, there is truly a right way).

I highly recommend you read this article, it's one of the greatest primers out there by one of the best coaches known to man (and I'm fortunate enough to be working with him ! ). Based on your weight and your desire to drop fat, you may want to start with macros at (Protein, Carbs, Fat): 330/265/70 which comes out to 3010 calories. That's easy to punch numbers and draw up, putting into practice isn't, especially hitting 330g of protein a day. It seems like a good place to start for you, and in time you might want to experiment with high/medium/low carb days.

Thanks! Yeah, I do need to pay more attention to macros. Read Jordan's article more times than I can count It's an excuse, but my life and eating schedule don't mesh well with tracking calories / macros. I know there are guys out there with busy schedules and family life that still manage to track everything, but it just isn't my priority right now. The protein is a killer. I've started shakes again, which is getting me an extra 60ish grams per day, but I'm sure I'm still not at the 330g you mentioned.

For the time being, I've settled on simply cutting carbs. It's simple to do, and from what I've read, it should work to shed some weight. I'm sure it isn't optimal, but it fits my life for the time being. Haven't really been doing it long enough to see any real weight change or effects on my lifting numbers though.

I'm interested in your thoughts on HLM carb days. From TBaB, sounds like I should be having a high carb day on training days? I tend to dive in headfirst to stuff like this, and slowly back off to something reasonable and sustainable. I've cut carbs way down, mostly from stuff that is probably bad anyway (bread, pasta, cereal, etc), but I'm sure I've probably cut too much out. Thinking I ought to up my intake on training days, particularly before Volume and Intensity Days, and going light or medium on the days in between.

Beyond that, I know I need to add in HIIT. I'm relegated to the treadmill for that (or maybe running hill sprints outside). I know Jordan mentions LISS cardio, which I might consider. Spend some quality time with the dog and get some peace and quiet as well
    Last edited by jstrain; 03-11-2015 at 05:44 AM.

And thanks for posting in my log! Seriously, knowing someone else is actually looking at it is a big push to keep training. I was really hesitant to start one. Mostly because my lifts seem pretty pathetic to me, but also because I know if I got involved in it, then I'm accountable.

Started browsing through yours. I'm quite envious of your squat and especially your deadlift! I wish I would have kept DLs in my workout. I'm sure I'd be further along than 285, but nowhere near yours. That's an awesome pull you've got.

Seriously, knowing someone else is actually looking at it is a big push to keep training. I was really hesitant to start one. Mostly because my lifts seem pretty pathetic to me, but also because I know if I got involved in it, then I'm accountable.
    Whether you see lots of posts or not, there are people reading, learning, and taking heart in knowing that others have the same struggles. Being accountable helps us all get into the gym on a regular basis.

Everybody starts somewhere, and the only way to get better is to keep working at it.

starting strength coach development program
    And thanks for posting in my log! Seriously, knowing someone else is actually looking at it is a big push to keep training. I was really hesitant to start one. Mostly because my lifts seem pretty pathetic to me, but also because I know if I got involved in it, then I'm accountable.

Started browsing through yours. I'm quite envious of your squat and especially your deadlift! I wish I would have kept DLs in my workout. I'm sure I'd be further along than 285, but nowhere near yours. That's an awesome pull you've got.
    Thanks man, I'm seemingly built for the DL, it's the lift I've had virtually no problems with and even with a recent loss of around 6kg BW, I'm still very close to my previous best on any given above average day.

I'm something of a gym bro antithesis, given that in the early goings, I never did the benching/curl fiasco, I was squarely focused on Squats and Deadlifts, those were my priority, add to that a brief unsuccessful flirtation with Oly lifting (endless barbell complexes and pull varieties) and most of my development being legs and lower back and we have a reason for a great pull.

Enough about me though, if you do everything right diet wise (as best you can), there is no reason that in a few months you won't be pulling huge numbers in spite of getting a heck of a lot leaner!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigDuffield View Post
    Whether you see lots of posts or not, there are people reading, learning, and taking heart in knowing that others have the same struggles. Being accountable helps us all get into the gym on a regular basis.

Everybody starts somewhere, and the only way to get better is to keep working at it.
    Couldn't have put this better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast