starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Art's Log: Never Too Late to Start Strength

Default Art's Log: Never Too Late to Start Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After nearly 10 years away from training (except for a few short stints during that decade, lasting no longer than 6 months), I decided it's now or never to get truly strong. Before that time I got fairly strong and big in college (6'2", 215 @ ~15% body fat back then), but my routines were always bodybuilding-based (4 days/week, isolation movements, 8-12 rep range).

Now I'm 32 years old and a working professional. I got back in the weight room in January at 223 lbs, ~20% body fat and was very weak. Squats 3x10 at 155 lbs had me sore for a week, etc. But the gains were, as they have historically been for me, fast and significant, with squat weights going up 20-30 lbs and bench press weights going up 10-15 lbs from week to week.

But I was lost -- I had lots of motivation and no plan, and I knew a program would be even better than the effective yet inconsistent routine I was doing. So I decided to give SS a try.

My first workout in SS was on March 8, 2015 at 236 lbs as follows:
    Squat 3x5 @ 295
    Bench 3x5 @ 220
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 285

Since then I've gone up 10 lbs/workout in squat/deadlift and 5 lbs/workout in bench/OHP, EXCEPT that I strained my lower back at one point and decided to do a 30-lb reset on squat/deadlift after taking a full week off to rest my back.

Without boring you with what happened in-between, my last workout (at 240 lbs and ~22% body fat) was:
    Squat 3x5 @ 335
    OHP 3x5 @ 150
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 335

Looking forward to keeping a log here and testing my limits for the first time in my life! I have never done a strength program before, so this will be something new.

A few extra details:
    1. I am consuming about 3000 calories per day, including about 250g of protein, but I am not doing GOMAD. So in that respect I am not DTP.
    2. I am still doing deadlifts every workout because I still recover pretty well. I realize my weights are a bit high for the base novice program, but I'm going to stick with it as long as I can. I think I have some runway left and still feel very novice (10 years will do that...).
    3. Generally the squat/deadlift/OHP weights are very manageable, but the bench is starting to feel very heavy. I will probably need to switch to 5 lbs/week on that movement.
    4. I am taking creatine, protein, BCAAs and glucosamine. Lifting raw, drug-free.
    Last edited by artvandalay; 04-04-2015 at 09:23 PM.

You seem to be doing well. Keep it up. Your instinct that a log will help you keep on track is very good. Your diet sounds good. Some people keep track of body fat. That is good. Some people, like myself, don't worry about it. Maybe as young as you are it's helpful. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Carson. Looking forward to keeping the log.

As for body fat, you are right -- I won't be using it as a metric. I just wanted to give the board an idea of body composition. I'm not too concerned with it at the moment, although I already had to buy a new wardrobe because of the weight gain and would prefer not to do it again! But that would be what I call a high quality problem if muscle was involved...

For older fellas GOMAD is not part of the program. Sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up!

Welcome to the forum; looks like your program is spot on - if you are at these high numbers already, we can expect to see some huge figures by the end of your linear progression (I'd predict a 1100-1150lb total). We'll be observing your journey!

Thanks for the encouragement, Str8shutr, and good to know re: GOMAD.

Peez, thanks for the kind words -- actually your log is one of the ones that inspired me to start my own. I'm hoping that total runs through 1100 and beyond!

Put in an Easter workout this evening.

Squat: 3x5 @ 345
    Bench: 2x5 @ 240, 1x4 @ 240
    Deadlift: 1X5 @ 345

The squats felt good -- I still think I have some runway there before stalling. I would guess at least 20-30 more pounds.
    The bench was very frustrating -- I somehow choked on my own spit while breathing in for my second rep of the last set and coughed through the 2nd through 4th reps. Then I was so thrown off and I just couldn't pull it together for a 5th rep. I'm not sure whether to count that as a miss or not, so I'm not sure if I'll repeat the weight next week or do a reset.
    The deadlift felt significantly heavier than Friday (though only actually heavier by 10 lbs), but my grip was starting to give a bit, and to me that always makes a deadlift feel heavier. I may switch to mixed grip for my next workout (I have been doing double overhand grip until now) and see if that fixes the issue.

241 lbs. Will maintain current calorie intake for now.

Was scheduled to go yesterday but had to work way too late, so I took three days in-between instead of two. Oh well -- a little extra rest probably did me some good.

Squat: 3x5 @ 355
    OHP: 3x5 @ 155
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 355

Deads felt heavy, but squats are still manageable and OHP felt light. Used mixed grip today for my deads, which helped with grip but I just don't like the feel. I may work on a hook grip instead, which I've never done before.

I'm not a weight snob at all -- God made people in all shapes and sizes -- but I was very tempted to tell the guy next to me squatting 95 lbs not to grunt so loudly. You aren't allowed to grunt at that weight. Frankly, I'd prefer that everyone stop grunting altogether.

243 lbs. I've upped the carbs a bit lately to help with recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    Was scheduled to go yesterday but had to work way too late, so I took three days in-between instead of two. Oh well -- a little extra rest probably did me some good.
    Deads felt heavy, but squats are still manageable and OHP felt light. Used mixed grip today for my deads, which helped with grip but I just don't like the feel. I may work on a hook grip instead, which I've never done before.
    If you are not going to compete, give straps a try on your work set.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by fourgate View Post
    If you are not going to compete, give straps a try on your work set.
    Yeah, I might try that. I used to use them for heavy rows back in the day for high-volume sets. Would prefer to avoid just to build up grip strength (and because I haven't ruled out competing someday if my total moves up to something somewhat competitive), so I will give the mixed grip some time first and see if I get used to it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast