starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's Novice SS Log

Default Pete's Novice SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5' 11"; 195 lbs; BF ~16%; 34 years young.

My last stats before I switch to a strict LP 5 x 3. Gonna drop weight a few exercises to get my form right.

Last PR
    Squat 165# 6 x 3
    Deadlift 245# 6 x 3
    Press 95# 6 x 3
    Bench 125# 6 x 3
    Power Clean 135# 1x1

Only tried Power Clean once yesterday for fun and to rack for someone waiting in line.

Gonna try +10lbs on the squat and deadlift for a few more weeks before switching to +5lbs.

I think I'll only be able to do +5lbs on the P, BP, and PC and may have to switch to a lower weight in less than 1 month? So, I'll probably have to buy fractional plates sooner than later. Hoping to get a couple months out of novice programming before more advanced programming.

Thinking about visiting Horn Strength here in LA for further instruction but wanted to get more time under the bar and read as much as I can first. I've read Starting Strength once and quickly read through Practical Programming...

--------------------

Boring back story for posterity:

Active youth with a lot of basketball but never any strength training. Hurt my knee pretty badly in my early twenties without insurance (I later found out my tendons were stretched but not torn), which resulted in a massive mental impediment to physical activity and a slow march to being fat, hypertensive, with messed up blood work, and just a physical mess. This progressed for about 10 years when I realized with a new born son I would look like a huge loser the way I was. I changed the way I ate and joined a gym to "exercise."

For my birthday last year my wife got me 5 training sessions because I appeared to be more consistent with my exercising and seemed to really be enjoying it. She's super fit and athletic and at this point with my health improving I was even more motivated to not die at my desk and keep up with her and our son.

So, last August I got a huckster type "trainer" at 24 hour fitness and he told me to do 12 reps each at like 39 different machines and only go up in weight once I was comfortable. He threw in some ridiculous functional training for good measure. So like a good student I worked this routine for several months and started running 3 times per week. I felt better conditioned but saw very little in the way of gainzzzz and felt like something was off / the trainer was a charlatan.

Looking to internet for help I wandered until I started running the workout from Bigger Leaner Stronger about 3 months ago. The workout consists of a classic bodybuilder breakdown (I guess?) With Chest, Back, Shoulder, Upper Body, and Legs each done on separate days with a 3 sets of 4-6 reps and only progressing once 6 reps is achieved for all 3 sets. Compound exercises were used every day at the beginning and the day would be finished off with isolation exercises. Leg day created pretty serious DOMS every week and I was feeling like I should simplify some things in my training and that I wasn't moving up fast enough in the core exercises.

Nevertheless, I started at 185 lbs ~15% BF and tried to make gains while cutting and thought that sucked. From mid Feb -> Now

Squat 95# -> 165#
    Deadlift 175# -> 245#
    Press 65# -> 95#
    Bench 75# -> 125#

------------------------
    Last edited by eulerthegrape; 05-08-2015 at 03:47 PM.

05/07/2015

Squat
    155# 5x3
    Press
    95# 5x3
    Deadlift
    215# 5x1
    Power Clean
    135# 1x1
    Biceps Curl
    70# 5x3

Everything felt average. I think I was getting low enough on my squats. Overhand grip on the deadlift but had to reset my hands / open and close them after 3 reps. Tried to break the body builder routine but the Biceps curls snuck in. Tried to do them like Starting Strength said to do them though...

Welcome. Weights look good for starting. Why do you wish to loose weight? You seem about average maybe even a bit light.

I keep all my fat in my mid-section. 185 lbs on me with no muscle and I look like a spinning top. 195 lbs with a couple months worth of muscles and I look a lot better. I have no problem going up in weight but I don't want to look like a cartoon humpty dumpty. Once I came to the realization that I could pack on a lot more muscle if I ate more -- about a month ago -- I started eating more.

Any advice on how long you think I can run LP / what weight increments should I use?

I think I misunderstood your comment about dropping weight. I think I've got it now. How hard were the weights you were lifting before starting? They look fine to me for a young man who has done some training, though under unfortunate circumstances. I think many of us dabbled in the fitness centers trying to find SS. Your "trainer" was indeed a charlatan. But virtually all of them are.

I think 10 lb jumps for squats and deads are fine until you miss a routine. Try the same weight again twice then you will need to decide to move to 5 lb increments depend upon how much of a grind the 10 lb increases were. Be very careful of technique. Having worked under the glazed eye of a charlatan probably means that you have picked up a few bad habits. I knew that the so called trainers at the fitness center I tried had no idea what they were doing at least as it came to strength training. On the pushes 5 lb. increments are best until you start failing then back up to 2.5 lbs.

Working with Horn is a great idea.

Master Athlete Hercules, signing off.

Before starting this program or the previous? On the machines they never felt that heavy until reps to failure was a suggestion. The last PRs for squats, deads, presses, and bench presses were all pretty hard but I was doing 6x3 and only once per week so I'm thinking I was giving back some of the weeks gains?

Quote Originally Posted by eulerthegrape View Post
    Before starting this program or the previous? On the machines they never felt that heavy until reps to failure was a suggestion. The last PRs for squats, deads, presses, and bench presses were all pretty hard but I was doing 6x3 and only once per week so I'm thinking I was giving back some of the weeks gains?
    Your lifts from 5/7. I should think that they are good starting weights. Usually people start at three times per week. In fact when as young as you are 3xs are standard. I think you were probably losing some strength gains by only going once per week. Do you train at home or at a gym? I'm guessing you have access to tech and bumper plates as well as the usual plates from at least 2.5 lbs to 45 lbs.

I was training 5 days a week but each lift once per week. Going to a commercial gym that is almost inadequate. They have *a* squat rack but if I go after work the wait can be ridiculous. The have 5 lbs pound plates as their lowest so I picked up some 2.5 lbs plate, which I think I'll be happy about. And I'll probably pick up a set of fractional plates, when that makes sense.

05/09/2015

5 min walk warm up
    1 mi slow jog
    4x30s sprints with 1:30 min rest
    5 min walk cool down

Total distance 1.72 mi

starting strength coach development program
    5/11/2015

Squats
    165# 5x3
    Bench
    115# 5x3
    Deadlift
    225# 5x1

light abs workout

squats felt good. not a terrible struggle. focused on keeping my knees out, getting a rebound in the hole, extending my upper back, and rising from my lower back. the bench felt good. i opened my grip a bit, which i think gives vertical forearms when the bar is on my chest. i'll have to ask someone to check for me. it was not a snap or a pop, more like a crackle in my upper right back. felt something a little off on my second to last bench set. on the third rep of my final bench set the crackle appeared but it didn't prevent me from completing my reps. upper trap area is now real stiff and it hurts to bring my ear to my shoulder and turn while driving. i think a good rub should solve this and maybe some icy-hot? this i think affected my deadlift? i had a difficult time keeping the bar against my legs on the way up early in the pull. i would think this comes from my back working early instead of my hamstrings, which I will focus on next time. i'll switch to power clean / deadlift alternating workout regiment at 245# / when i get back from denmark.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast