starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 120KG/264LBS x 5

Default Squat 120KG/264LBS x 5

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am 6'3"/191 cm and 107KG/236LBS. I started Starting Strength before but discontinued because of school and because my technique was shabby. I started training seriously, by that I mean doing compound lifts and began SS, around late December. I stopped around February. So I got 5 weeks done. Then I started 6 weeks ago and my lifts are:

Squat - 3 x 5 x 120KG
    Deadlift - 1 x 1 x 150KG and 1 x 5 x 140KG
    Power Clean - 40KG
    Bench Press - 2 x 1 x 60KG and 3 x 5 x 56KG
    Press - 3 x 5 x 32KG

I think I have begun stalling on my deadlift since today I just couldn't lift much.

I came here to post my squat form. First of all on the first rep I was trying not to bump into the supports. My head was up (I'll stop squatting in front of mirror) and on the last rep I was doing somewhat of a goodmorning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHcKc00TbFo&
    Last edited by mike_c; 05-31-2015 at 10:32 PM.

As you noted eye gaze and head position is an issue. Keep the head neutral and gaze about 3-5 feet in front of you. Shouldn't move throughout the lift. Set the lift and get tight at the top of the lift. After the big breath for valsalva STAY TIGHT until the movement is completed. Your losing your tightness as you get close to depth and therefore losing power in the hip drive on the ascent. Really squeeze down on the abs through the whole movement. Slow down a bit and control the entire lift.

Try and get a 45 degree angle from the rear for the next video. Don't worry about how long you've been doing the program just stay consistent and continue posting.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
    As you noted eye gaze and head position is an issue. Keep the head neutral and gaze about 3-5 feet in front of you. Shouldn't move throughout the lift. Set the lift and get tight at the top of the lift. After the big breath for valsalva STAY TIGHT until the movement is completed. Your losing your tightness as you get close to depth and therefore losing power in the hip drive on the ascent. Really squeeze down on the abs through the whole movement. Slow down a bit and control the entire lift.

Try and get a 45 degree angle from the rear for the next video. Don't worry about how long you've been doing the program just stay consistent and continue posting.
    Thank you for your help. I'll try refilming. Overall how was my back angle and lower back? Also do I have to squeeze down on my abs, I was told to breath out/push out my stomach since I have a belt on.

Right now I think fixing the head position/eye gaze and staying tighter will fix some of the back issues (mainly too vertical) that I'm seeing. A vid from 45 behind will help to see if the knees are getting out far enough and provide a better view of the back angle.

Squeezing the abs is a cue to keep your thinking about staying tight throughout the entire lift. As you descend some have a tendency to allow their back to get into extension and cueing squeezing on the abs can help prevent it. What you want is to stay solid and tight in the upper body throughout the entire movement. Once your set at the top of the lift with neutral head and correct eye gaze and the big breath is taken and held it should only be knees out and hips back that are moving. The knees should stop moving forward about half-way down the descent with your hips continuing to move back until you reach the parallel position bottom of the hole. Still staying tight you need to drive up out of the hole with your hips, your upper body should still be solid and ascending with the hips.

If you can feel the weight staying over the mid-foot for the entire movement your body should be in the right positions. Reset at the top and repeat for reps.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
    Right now I think fixing the head position/eye gaze and staying tighter will fix some of the back issues (mainly too vertical) that I'm seeing. A vid from 45 behind will help to see if the knees are getting out far enough and provide a better view of the back angle.

Squeezing the abs is a cue to keep your thinking about staying tight throughout the entire lift. As you descend some have a tendency to allow their back to get into extension and cueing squeezing on the abs can help prevent it. What you want is to stay solid and tight in the upper body throughout the entire movement. Once your set at the top of the lift with neutral head and correct eye gaze and the big breath is taken and held it should only be knees out and hips back that are moving. The knees should stop moving forward about half-way down the descent with your hips continuing to move back until you reach the parallel position bottom of the hole. Still staying tight you need to drive up out of the hole with your hips, your upper body should still be solid and ascending with the hips.

If you can feel the weight staying over the mid-foot for the entire movement your body should be in the right positions. Reset at the top and repeat for reps.
    I'll try and film myself.