starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finishing Strong

Default Finishing Strong

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    66 year-old geezer. 5'11" - 240#.

I spent my entire life weak and fat, despite running and bicycling. About five years ago I started training "hardstyle" with kettlebells and became considerably stronger and better conditioned. Upon retirement in June of 2012 I lost 40 pounds down to 235 from 275. Over next few years I managed to lose another 10 pounds by monitoring of diet. Decided early this year that I needed greater ultimate strength as a means to getting my body fat under 20%. Started at an "Anytime Fitness" gym but quickly realized from my KB training that the trainers there really didn't know what they were doing, at least not in regards to what I wanted to accomplish. Fortunately, few people use the squat racks so it's really not a bad place to train.

Broad goal is to finish out this life journey as strong and functionally capable as possible without turning fitness into an obsession (a tendency of mine. After all, if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing!)

More specific goal is to achieve intermediate level (whatever that turns out to be) just short of where the programming becomes too complicated. I also would like to get my body fat down under 20%, but that is secondary so long as I'm not too far over 25%.

Discovered Starting Strength while reading "PJ Media". Bought SSBT and PPST and started perusing the forum. Quickly realized that I needed some quality coaching so I scheduled a couple of hours with Matt Reynolds at Strong Gym in Springfield, MO (3 & 1/2 hours away) on April 21st to learn the squat, press, deadlift, and bench press. Great investment, Matt is a great coach and a fine man. After that I spent too much time with "random acts of variety" and messing with the KB's but still progressed.

I returned to Springfield a week ago to attend the squat camp. Another smart move. Now focused on SS and only using heavy KB swings for occasional off day conditioning.

Matt has me on a three day program that is a Volume/Recovery/Intensity format. If I'm fresh I train three days a week. If not feeling recovered, my "weeks" may spread out to 9-10 days.

Last week (minus warm-ups done according to Rip's i-phone app) my training was:

6/15/15 (Recovery)
    Squat- 125X5X3
    Press- 92.5X5X3 (PR)
    Lat Pull-Downs 120X10X5

That same day I began supplementation with creatine, BCAA's and some other supplements.

6/17/15 (Intensity)
    Squat- 145X5X3 (PR)
    Bench- 130X5X3 (PR)
    Deadlift- 235X5X1 (PR)

Surprisingly not too trashed afterwards. Used pre-post workout supplementation. Seemed to help.

Tomorrow - (Volume Day)
    Target- Squats- 145X5X3
    Press- 95X5X3
    Deadlift- 210X5X1

Jim

Jim,

I'm happy I inspired you. You are starting at a stronger place than I did. I suspect your lifts will someday be stronger than mine. I always admire anyone who can do a proper squat without a harness. Good going. I have no idea what my body fat is. All I know is that I am slimmer than I was and I haven't lost any weight.

Matt Reynolds is a highly respected coach and is a friend of Sully's. I believe you are in good hands. Keep up the good work and I will follow your progress.

Jim, like Carson, I started much lighter than you. Your kettle bells must have given you a good foundation. Don't worry about Intermediate complexity. Just do the linear progression. When you get to intermediate, just follow the directions in PPfST for older lifters toward the end of the book.

Carson and Gene, Thank you for your encouragement and advice. This forum is filled with both and I am thankful for that.

Jim

6/20/15 (Volume Day)
    Hit all lifts!

Warm-ups per SS App.

Squat - 145X5X3
    Press - 95X5X3 (PR)
    Deadlift - 210X5X1

Lifts not really in doubt. They all seem to be getting "harder" yet I seem more sure of hitting all of them. Supplementation seems to be helping.

Do you mean chemical supplements or things like Chins? Some chemical supplements aren't advised for us.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do you mean chemical supplements or things like Chins? Some chemical supplements aren't advised for us.
    Carson,

I'm taking some natural supplements like creatine, BCAA's, and whey protein.

What supplements should we not be taking (other than the obvious, like steroids, etc.)?

Jim

I don't know. I do take Fish oil which is supposed to help joints and perhaps they do and whey protein. I think steroids are off of the list and probably a few others. I really am naive when it comes to these things. I think there is probably some article somewhere on this site that gives us some indication. Probably on the Nutrition site.

Carson,

Fish oils for me, too. The things I am taking (not many) are all recommended on the Nutrition aub forum. Jason is one smart young man.

Jim

starting strength coach development program
    6/22/15 - Recovery Day
    Trained with Cody Miller for the first time. Excellent coach. Good cues. Excellent "rackside manner".

Bench - Warm-ups then 132.5X5X3 (PR)
    Squat - Warm-ups then 130X5X3
    Lat Pull-Down - 1 Warm-up at 85X5X1 then 120X10X5.

All lifts went well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast