starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Journey To Strong-Ish Log

Default My Journey To Strong-Ish Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings Everyone.

I give thanks for a forum such as this to post my logs, feedback or not.

I am 35 years old, 5'10'' on a good day and currently hovering around the 255 mark. I've been wanting to get down to 220, which seemed reasonable, for a couple of years. And I have the classic spare tire/beer belly which I would really like to get rid of.

I was closer to 265 in January and figured it was time to do something. I searched online for some simple weight lifting/fat loss/lose weight thing. By March, I decided that doing anything was better than nothing, so I settled on the StrongLifts 5x5 protocol: 5 sets of 5 reps on Squats, Deadlifts, Press, Bench, Rows three days per week (bench/press and deadlift/row alternating).

I very much enjoyed the simplicity of it: Lift weight, proper form, add weight, repeat. Between March and the end of May, these were my starting weights and maxes:

Squat: 185/300
    Bench: 135/170
    Deadlift: 135/250
    Press: 45/105
    Row: 135/145
    Bodyweight: 261/258

I found Starting Strength by accident really. I was looking at YouTube videos, came across one with Rip talking about tricep extensions and, after some further weeks of internet research, made the switch.

I did a reset on Squat and Bench due to stalling, but kept on with the other lifts

First Day (May 24):
    Weight: 258 lbs
    Squat: 190 lbs
    Press: 105
    Deadlift: 250
    Bench: 115

Present (as of last week):
    Weight: 254.8
    Squat: 275
    Press: 125
    Bench: 155
    Deadlift: 310

I was also doing planks/hanging knee raises as well as treadmill walking right after lifting. Then I switched to HIIT, as suggested by Jordan (To Be A Beast article). So, after every lifting session, I go do treadmill 3.5 incline, 3.5mph jog (140 seconds), 5-7mph run (40 seconds on) for 21 minutes, plus cool down. Why 40 seconds and not 20? Because it's easier for me to remember at which points/times I need to switch. I'm going to try using the rower instead soon, because I definitely feel it in my calves and knees sometimes.

Squats are okay right now. I'm not beasting out on every rep, but I get them up. Doing 5 pound increases now. Also, I think I'm almost getting tired of doing low-bar squats every session. Someone suggested swapping a day for front squats or box squats to change it up a litte. Also, I've started taking more rest before just before and during the work sets.

Press is where is should be, I think. 125 is tough, but doable. Only 5 pound increases here.

Bench is starting to struggle a little. Not that it feels heavy, but I am unbalanced after the 140 mark. I figure some dumbell accessory work, or maybe a reset, would help. 5-10 pound increases here.

Deadlift is tough. I failed at 280 for a few sessions, got 285 and 290 fine, then 295, 300, 305 and 310 all took two or three sessions to get all five reps. I've started taking more rest between the last warmup set and the work set, but it isn't helping. I can usually get two good reps before I fail to get it off the floor or it really starts slipping when I do get it up. I don't know if a reset, or more rest, or not deadlifting every day would help most. I have thought about trying cleans, but there isn't a whole lot of room in my gym(s) for that, plus I'd like to have a coach, though the many videos are helpful. I might just re-incorporate barbell rows (gasp!) to change it up.

So that's where I am now. I took this week off to accomodate a change in work schedule and to give myself a bit of a break because I think that's what my body was telling me. It'll be back to the grind next week, starting where Ieft off or with a slight deload. I'll put in some chinups/pullups/dips in as well soon.

And my goals now? To get as strong as possible in these lifts without a lifting belt or chalk (if I can help it) before refocusing on losing this belly weight.

Chris

Chris, Welcome. I have a couple of preliminary comments about the DL. As you proceed with your log I'm sure I'll have more. I'm not sure why you are hesitant to use chalk. Do you know why you are resisting the use of chalk? Also, why is the bar slipping? Are you continuing to use overhand grip? Why not try alternate grip? Think of this. Why would you fail to lift a weight simply because your grip won't hold.

Here's what I do for what it's worth. When my top weight was 220 my overhand grip began to slip. So I switched to alternate grip. When the top weight was 230 I was able to do 220 with overhand grip but had to switch to alternate at 230. I still switch to alternate past 230 but I expect in time I will be able to use overhand grip on a slowly increasing amount of weight. My top weight is now 315 X 1. Do you use a belt and do you have proper shoes?

Thanks for the welcome Carson. I have not tried an alternate grip yet, nor chalk. I'll give one or both a try. I feel that the slippage is largely due to moisture/sweat, but I'm not certain.
    I don't use a belt and I don't have lifting shoes. So Yes, I'm not quite doing the program.

Video of my 275lb squat from July 3rd

1st work set
    https://youtu.be/pMWWUS9qRzU

2nd work set
    https://youtu.be/fdUMQ1rDC08
    Poor angle on the video

3rd work set
    https://youtu.be/ZkYeZH96mtk

I am always worried about whether or not the bar is in the right place, i.e. too far down my back or not far enough. I think I'm getting my foot spacing down well enough, though some have said that I'm a little too wide. Perhaps they haven't noticed my thick thighs.

Here is the plan for today's workout. I hope I don't jinx it by posting before completion. Warmup sets along with work set in bold

5 minute warmup on rower

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x5x1
    135x5x1
    185x3x1
    235x2x1
    255x1x1
    275x5x3

OHP
    45x5x2
    95x3x1
    125x5x3
    I used to have more warmup sets, but the last few sessions I have shortened the work sets and I like it so far.

Deadlift
    135x5x1
    185x5x1
    225x5x1
    265x3x1
    285x1x1
    310x5x1

Hanging Knee Raises
    BW 10x3

Chalk counteracts sweaty hands. That is why it is used on heavy lifts. Have you purchased proper shoes and a belt yet?

I'm doing around what you are on my DL and I HAVE to do a mixed grip on my DL work sets. I just can't hold on to the bar otherwise. I have average size palms but stumpy fingers. I do a regular grip for my warmups then chalk up and do mixed for my work set (my hands would tear if I didn't chalk). Chalk definitely helps. I got one of those balls of chalk dust in a mesh bag and keep it in a gallon zip-lock so I can chalk up in the bag and not get the floor of the gym messy. Nobody's ever told me not to use chalk and I know at least someone else there uses it because occasionally there's a little chalk on the DL or squat bars but I figure a little consideration goes a long way.

What carson and bkriete said - get chalk, belt, lifting shoes. Don't have to be fancy. Good belts start at 50 bucks, and shoes are not much more if you can snag a pair on sale. You have made very good initial progress, and weights are getting really heavy - preventing injury is always a priority. Trust Rip (and fellow lifters) on that.

Thanks for the feedback. You are all correct, of course. Chalk, Shoes, Belt.
    When I started in March with SL5x5, I figured I would stop increasing weight on my lifts once I had to use a belt or chalk.

Now after two months of SS, I don't want to stop. �� I really should set my actual lifting goals to work towards.

starting strength coach development program
    Today's actual workout:

5 minute warmup on rower

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x5x1
    135x5x1
    185x3x1
    235x2x1
    255x1x1
    275x5x3
    Video of the last work set: Squat 275 Final Set - YouTube
    I got it into my head to start with the bar at a lower setting. The bar was already set to chest level when I arrived, so I went went it. It looked too low to me, but it didn't feel all that awkward in geting settled, unracking and racking. Actually I liked not having to stand on my toes a little to rack/unrack (probably noticeable in my previous video).
    The warmup sets, which may be a few too many, went well. I had a sweat going halfway through. Those work sets felt heavy, but quite doable. I need to get out of my head that work sets should be 'easy'. As usual, I worry about having the bar in the correct place on my back, chest up enough, looking down enough.

OHP
    45x5x2
    95x3x2
    125x5x1
    115x5x1
    105x5x1
    I had intended to only do one set at 95. But I spent so much time diddling with my phone that I forgot to add the work set weight. Dummy. Video: Press Warmup 95lbs July 10 - YouTube

The work set at 125 was horrible...slow, uneven, struggling. So I took five minutes, backed down to 115 for a set, which was also horrible. Pretty much the same at 105. How I fooled myself into thinking I was correctly at 125 is amazing. So I'll drop some weight next time and come back up slowly.

Deadlift
    135x5x1
    185x5x1
    225x5x1
    265x3x1
    285x1x1
    310x5x1

These felt good today. They didn't look so good on the videos, which I leave for others to judge: Deadlift Work Set 310 July 10 - YouTube

Only on the last rep the bar was starting to slip out of my hand by the time I got it up. So I'll increase a little next time, like 5 pounds max, and bring a little chalk to help.

Abs/Core
    Did two sets of knee lifts and legs extensions (that's what I call them) on the bench for 40 reps total, then did one set of ten of hanging knee raises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast