starting strength gym

Thread: A Woman Starting Strength Tomorrow, Word of Advise Please!

Default A Woman Starting Strength Tomorrow, Word of Advise Please!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi I like to introduce myself to everyone
    My boyfriend finally convinced me to start this amazing beginner program called Starting Strength. I'm not too sure what to expect from this. I'm completely new to lifting weights. I'm 30 years old, 110lbs, 5'4", on a smaller frame. I would love to hear from folks who has finished or is in the middle of training. what should i expect? what are the pros and cons(if there are any).

Welcome!

Form form form.
    You can make progress without very good form but you will end up going back and forth with weights due to having to fix form to progress or worse still, due to injury from bad form.

Good luck to you

Someday I hope my wife will get involved.
    Same height and weight as you more or less and I'm sure some strength gains would benefit her.

No cons to this. Read the book. Watch your form. Sleeeeeeeep! Eat. Repeat. Enjoy having muscles...

I want to know HOW he convinced you!

Just do your 5s and up your weights as appropriate, you will be surprised by how quickly you see results.

It's OK to start with very light weights, by adding weight every workout you will be moving a lot of weight sooner than you would imagine and you are less likely to stall (stop progressing).

Hi there! I'm still a novice, but I can tell you a couple of things to expect from your first few months:

1) The day after your first workout, you'll likely be very, very sore. Don't worry: this is not how it's going to be after every single workout. You're just adjusting to the new stimulus.

2) At your size, you should expect to gain weight by the scale. This is a sign that you're eating properly and putting on muscle mass. Don't worry about it unless your waistbands start getting too tight. (However, if your waist stays the same but your ass gets bigger, this also means you're doing it right. That's muscle growth.)

3) The mental element is really important. It's okay if you don't look forward to doing heavy squats -- lots of us don't -- but don't be afraid of the weight. When it starts feeling hard, you might think to yourself "oh no, it's getting too hard for me, I can't do this." It's a natural reaction, but you have to fight it, because it'll really interfere with your ability to lift.

4) Start a training log here. People are super supportive and helpful, and it'll help you stay honest.

5) Celebrate your progress! Don't worry about whether you're lifting "enough" or compare yourself to other people. As long as you follow the program, you're doing just fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Hi there! I'm still a novice, but I can tell you a couple of things to expect from your first few months:

1) The day after your first workout, you'll likely be very, very sore. Don't worry: this is not how it's going to be after every single workout. You're just adjusting to the new stimulus.

2) At your size, you should expect to gain weight by the scale. This is a sign that you're eating properly and putting on muscle mass. Don't worry about it unless your waistbands start getting too tight. (However, if your waist stays the same but your ass gets bigger, this also means you're doing it right. That's muscle growth.)

3) The mental element is really important. It's okay if you don't look forward to doing heavy squats -- lots of us don't -- but don't be afraid of the weight. When it starts feeling hard, you might think to yourself "oh no, it's getting too hard for me, I can't do this." It's a natural reaction, but you have to fight it, because it'll really interfere with your ability to lift.

4) Start a training log here. People are super supportive and helpful, and it'll help you stay honest.

5) Celebrate your progress! Don't worry about whether you're lifting "enough" or compare yourself to other people. As long as you follow the program, you're doing just fine.
    Liz makes some really good points!

Good luck today!!