starting strength gym

Thread: Anterior Hip Pain: 280lbs Squat Check

Default Anterior Hip Pain: 280lbs Squat Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    For about a week and a half now I've been having some pain in the front of my hip on the right side. It feels like Rectus Femoris pain. From what I can tell, this is usually caused by knee slide, but I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my knees in place (that's just like, my opinion, man.)

6'1, 210lbs and 24 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_m610H4hI4

As always, thank you and be well.

Stance looks like it might be a bit wide, but it's really hard to say from here. Nothing that clearly points to a form-issue cause of the hip pain. However, you do need to stay in your hips better. You start driving with your hips but, possibly in reaction to the slight back angle change out of the hole, move to raising your chest too early in the movement.

Thanks wolf. The only other thing I can think of is that I've been going to this waterfall in a park near my house. After you jump off, getting back up requires throwing one leg up onto a ledge and doing a sort of pistol squat. I went about 5 days in a row and the pain started right around that time.

I noticed the hips too. I can feel it every rep. Coming out of the hole feels strong but I reach a point where it feels different and less powerful. Must be where I start raising my chest. I'll work on keeping that back angle constant and staying in my hips. And you're right, I do squat with slightly wider than recommended feet. Heels are just a hair outside of shoulder width, and my toes are pointed out just a bit outside of 30 degrees. Not sure why, but this feels a whole lot better to me.

Thanks wolf,
    Jacob

Welp, maybe it's something to do with those pistols. I don't know. You say the slightly wider stance feels better - it would be unusual for that to be the cause of your hip pain, but worth checking just in case. Are you sure this feels better and isn't causing or exacerbating what's going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Welp, maybe it's something to do with those pistols. I don't know. You say the slightly wider stance feels better - it would be unusual for that to be the cause of your hip pain, but worth checking just in case. Are you sure this feels better and isn't causing or exacerbating what's going on there?
    It's not that I'm squatting wider to help with the hip pain. I've been squatting slightly wider since before my hip hurt. (Really not that wide. I do have somewhat wide shoulders and my heels are only slightly outside shoulder width. Maybe 1/2 inch on each side so about 1 inch wider then recommended.) Regardless of how wide my feet are, it feels like when I reach depth that the front of my hip is being pinched. And my hip doesn't feel worse after squats either, just the same as before. The injury is slowly healing, but not as quickly as I'd like.

On my most recent light day, squatting 230, I cued myself "heels" and kept the weight closer to the rear of my foot and the pinching went away. Totally gone. I've also always struggled with knee slide but that cue kept my knees right where they belong quite well. Is it possible that allowing my weight to shift too far forward on my feet somehow caused my hip to become aggravated? I suppose it's possible that when I was thinking midfoot before, I was actually over my forefoot and cueing myself heels sent me back over to my actual midfoot.

I'll post one more video on friday to see if I stay in my hips any better. I'd post my video from wednesday, but i doubt a set from light day is very helpful. I've been emailing brodie and believe I will be seeing him with my girlfriend the weekend after next. He'll be able to sort me out. Thanks a lot wolf. Really appreciate the help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    On my most recent light day, squatting 230, I cued myself "heels" and kept the weight closer to the rear of my foot and the pinching went away. Totally gone. I've also always struggled with knee slide but that cue kept my knees right where they belong quite well. Is it possible that allowing my weight to shift too far forward on my feet somehow caused my hip to become aggravated? I suppose it's possible that when I was thinking midfoot before, I was actually over my forefoot and cueing myself heels sent me back over to my actual midfoot.
    Yes, this is possible. The issue isn't terribly uncommon, in fact. It doesn't usually cause serious hip pain, but I imagine it could.