starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man trapped in a boy's body

Default Man trapped in a boy's body

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6'0 ; 144 lbs. ; 23 years old

I'm a 23 year old college student whose strength and size feels more comparable to a 14 year old boy than a 23 year old college student. I thought the best way to rectify this as fast as possible would be with a strength building routine, like SS. I have no barbell training prior to starting this program. Did my first workout on Tuesday. Creating this log to both monitor my progress and hopefully give me a little motivation in watching how far I come. Also I'd like to put up form videos to get form critiqued early rather than late.

So without further ado....

8/25/2015

Squat - 70 lbs.
    Press - 50 lbs.
    Deadlift - 90 lbs.
    Last edited by atrium; 08-27-2015 at 07:07 AM.

8/27/2015

Squat - 80 lbs.
    Bench Press - 75 lbs.
    Deadlift - 105 lbs.

Need to tighten up my squat form. I feel like weak stabilizer muscles might be why I can't seem to stay.... well, stable while performing the squat. Bench press felt light, as did deadlift, but better to start light than heavy as they always say.

Welcome to the forum, atrium! You've come to the right place to make rapid progress, get good advice, and companionship on this journey. Eat everything in sight, esp. protein. GOMAD helps, too. If you can see a coach about technique, do so. Form check videos are great help also. Looking forward to watching your progress!

welcome and make sure to read the book many times!
    When I was in college I was basically your size, and boy do I wish there had been something like SS for me then...having to wait 30 years for it took, well 30 years off my life! lol

You are starting out very much where I did in April in terms of your weights (although I'm a lot bigger and a little older than you).

I think you will see rapid progress as long as you are able to eat enough and maintain steady a consistent lifting schedule. If you're not tracking what you eat, it would be a good idea to start to make sure you are getting enough protein.

I also found that creatine and BCAAs made a noticeable difference in my recovery once the weights started to get hard.

Welcome. Eat.

Welcome Atrium.

Yes SS seems to be about as good as it gets for a strength building program for the regular guy. The squat will stabilise as you get stronger, you get stronger by squatting. It's a wonderful thing when you realise you are using your old maximum weight for a warm up set.

As others have said, read the book, eat, sleep, lift. If you can find a good coach it will be valuable.

Welcome. Post form check videos early and often, and like others have said, eat and lift! I would think a 2lb/week weight gain would be appropriate for you. I look forward to seeing you put on size and strength, it does amazing things for your everyday life. Before and after pictures might be fun.

Thanks for the welcome guys! I went ahead and took your advice and filmed the final set of all of my lifts for today's workouts. Please feel free to pick my form to pieces. I want to get this right early:

8/29/2015

Squat - 90 lbs = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEpvDitjeMY

I'm a bit concerned that I favor my right side too much in the squat. So for that last rep I way overcompensated and put way too much weight on the left side. That's why it looks so poor.

Press - 55 lbs = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEpzqN2ktg

Elbows forward. Also sometimes i forget to initiate hip drive, then press. I need to remember to not do them simultaneously.

Deadlift - 120 lbs = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zY9FVe15Vk

Bar isn't following a straight line (curving around my leg). Not sure how to fix this.

What do you guys see wrong with my form?

starting strength coach development program
    Just watched the squat so far but you need to get every muscle in your body tighter.....upper back, lumbar, quads, glutes, etc. Contract (squeeze) them all for dear life and don't let go just to reach depth. Bring your stance in a little, point your toes outward a little more, and shove your knees to track out over your toes and keep them there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast