starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restless Leg Syndrome

Default Restless Leg Syndrome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 44 . . pre-geezoid or whatever the proper term is . . .

I think I have this: Restless Leg Syndrome.
    Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and More
    Its starting to affect my sleep more and more. . . .

Also "comes on" when driving in car over 30-45 minutes . . . only sometimes.

I googled some crap about it . . .
    I thought it might be a magnesium deficiency, but taking mag supps have not helped.
    I was drinking a lot of coffee/caffeine throughout the day, I curtailed that to just a small cup in the AM . . .but that hasn't helped either.

Anyone have this? . . . overcame this? . . . they say it affects more people over 40 y.o.
    . . so I thought this would be the best sub-forum for this. . . .

I've had for a couple of years . . . it has slowly got worse and worse over time.
    I guess my father (passed on) had it. (according to mom)
    According to resources, its often hereditary, but not always.

comments? suggestions? help?

My wife has this... I just have twitchy muscles that cramp easily, we both drink a little tonic water before we go to bed.

I think it helps us both a little.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 09-08-2015 at 08:28 AM.

I get this occasionally, my wife more frequently. We're both 49.

We both think that alcohol, sugary foods, or even simple starchy foods like pasta or rice near bedtime tend to make it worse.

Exercise helps, deadlifts give me the exact opposite of twitchy legs. Deadlifts are the best sleep aid ever.

It's gotten worse lately....I thought too maybe just cramps...or some kind of "crampy" thing. Been doing more outside work than normal (hot in AZ)...so really trying to hydrate well, etc. But seems same.

Also. I heard that maybe low carb diet might cause leg cramps but I don't know what the thinking is there or if just rumor. I have been trying to limit my carbs overall, and more so on nonlifting days....

(Cwd: No sugarey stuff in my diet; very little pasta /bread stuff....don't drink alcohol)

I thought this too...too much water. My wife is runner and has all kinds of slt tablets, electrolyte crap, etc too....I started pounding all that stuff as well.

I drink quite a bit of Xtend Sciactvation BCAA crap...which supposed to have some electrolyte crapp in it too...

I Heard too much calcium in system can bring down your magnesium (I do eat cheese, milk, and my supps have calcium)...so I kin da evened all that out (moderations)

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I thought it might be a magnesium deficiency, but taking mag supps have not helped.
    What type of magnesium supplements? I don't have restless leg but I do take magnesium citrate as it is supposed to be much better absorbed than the (much more readily available) magnesium oxide.

Magnesium bioavailability from magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide. - PubMed - NCBI

Restless leg syndrome and cramps are two completely different things. Hydration is going to have very little effect on RLS. And for cramps, unless you're running marathons or working out in the southern sun 10 hours a day, the overwhelming majority of people need water, not electrolytes. A 90 minute lifting session simply is not going to deplete you of salt.

If it's true RLS, minimizing caffeine intake is about all you can do with respect to lifestyle. There is some data on correlation of ferritin levels and RLS so it may be worth getting your iron and ferritin checked (don't randomly supplement iron, especially in men). Beyond that, your choices are deal with it, or opt for pharmacological options.

I have found self massage with a foam roller, tiger stick or lacrosse ball eliminates my restless legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    What type of magnesium supplements? I don't have restless leg but I do take magnesium citrate as it is supposed to be much better absorbed than the (much more readily available) magnesium oxide.

Magnesium bioavailability from magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide. - PubMed - NCBI
    I forget what I got, its not with me now. I did research, what I got is supposed to trump those two (m-oxide or m-citrate . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Restless leg syndrome and cramps are two completely different things. Hydration is going to have very little effect on RLS. And for cramps, unless you're running marathons or working out in the southern sun 10 hours a day, the overwhelming majority of people need water, not electrolytes. A 90 minute lifting session simply is not going to deplete you of salt.
    ARIZONA, 20 miles east of Phoenix - I work construction; although a supervisory role . . . last few weekends, spent most of days outside.
    Its interesting, in my entire life, I have never gotten a cramp, until a six months ago . . .doing hill sprints. . .my hammy locked up pretty bad.
    Two months ago my calf locked up during prowler pushes, and a week ago my quad cramped up very bad doing air-squats (warming up for squats).
    So I'm trying to "disseminate" the two things = RLS / Cramps. . . . but the last 3-4 years the RLS thing comes to mind (just before sleep; and long car drives, etc)

If it's true RLS, minimizing caffeine intake is about all you can do with respect to lifestyle. There is some data on correlation of ferritin levels and RLS so it may be worth getting your iron and ferritin checked (don't randomly supplement iron, especially in men). Beyond that, your choices are deal with it, or opt for pharmacological options.
    The few things that I read regarding caffeine , magnesium , and what you said : iron/ferritin levels . . .
    A fuckton of caffenine will absorb or mess with your mag levels . . . . too much calicum will also take up mag . . . . the mag is need for proper nervous system function.
    Maybe I got that wrong. I'll do the iron check / ferritin thing . . .I haven't been to the doctor in decades.

starting strength coach development program
    Given your career and locale, the two condtions are certainly not mutually exclusive. Could be a little of column A, a little of column B.

And that pubmed paper ain't exactly the highest quality study in the world. We use mag oxide to great effect all the time. Magnesium conjugated to a protein complex tends to give a bit fewer GI side effects. But I'd measure your mag blood levels first. Easiest thing to do, though, is load up on salts. Pour some salt on a steak and mashed potatoes. You'll be golden for lytes and it should make you thirsty to drink more fluid.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast