starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Frequency SS 2 days per week to 531 x days per week?

Default Training Frequency SS 2 days per week to 531 x days per week?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I did Strong Lifts iPhone app from 09/14 to 12/14 (3 days per week)
    SS from 03/15 to now (2 days per week)

I’m considering moving to 531 but not sure the optimal number of days per week. Previously I moved from 3 days to 2 days for greater recovery time. Now the biggest factory seems to be family time. I’m wondering with the over 50 crowd is there a general consensus on the number of days per week to train. General consensus on over 50 doing 531?

Hi Paul, I asked a question in a post and I got some good replies. I like what Mark wrote in his answer. #5 reply . I am trying to do something along those lines myself. Here is a link to,the thread.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...233-ppst3.html

Jerry,
    Thanks very helpful, any suggestions on a Powerclean replacement? I'm not sure I'm up to snuff there.
    I like the simplicity of Mark's suggestion.

how far over 50 are you? I'm 47, about to be 48. am on the final week of my 5th cycle of 531. (i did 3-4 cycles a year ago.) I find that program to be pretty self-regulating, with the last set of optional extra reps and the deload week. I ran SS for 2 months and it just about killed me. I'm doing 531 4x a week and then depending on how i feel after the 3 weeks do a different type of deload on the 4th week some times only 2 days, sometimes 4, sometimes extra conditioning. Once I even went directly into the next cycle.

My advice is to try to go 4x a week. If you cannot fit those days in, don't worry about the having a particular weekly schedule - unless you have to. Just try to have 3 days between press and bench and between deads and squats.

I've think I've settled in for twice a week at age 57. I'm moving to heavy squat day on Tuesdays and light squat day Saturdays with Saturday also being DL day.

I just can't get enough recovery on three days a week.

The real issue is have you reached your Linear Progression limit? Do you know how to determine this? A secondary question is this: At least on DL you have not mastered the technique yet. Until you master that you can't really tell if you've reach your limit. Confer with a coach face to face is my best suggestion.

Carson, I’ve not mastered the SS DL and that’s not going to happen. I’ve spoke to a coach (not an SS coach, but a coach) about it and they are not concerned with the knees bending. I’ve mentioned this before but I can’t bend over far enough to grasp the bar without bending my knees. Maybe over time if my flexibility increases but that’s not going to be a short term addressable item.

Regarding end of linear progression it’s getting real close to maxed out on BP and OP,
    On Squat and DL I can continue with the normal path…

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    how far over 50 are you? I'm 47, about to be 48.
    I'm 56

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    Jerry,
    Thanks very helpful, any suggestions on a Powerclean replacement? I'm not sure I'm up to snuff there.
    Thank you, but I do power cleans because I don't like golf but do like to torture myself with things that are difficult for me to do. Also to get more pulling and a more total body workout in that particular session. Barbell rows are good substitutes as are pull ups. I really suck at the latter, so I don't do them now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    Jerry,
    You may want to try high pulls from the hang position. Here is a short video. Just start light .
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=idQmmJLSt9Q

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast