starting strength gym

Thread: Cannot adjust weight of bar

Question Cannot adjust weight of bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The app seems to assume that all users will have a 20kg bar (unless I have missed something). I use a standard bar that weighs 12kg, so all the calculations in the app are way out. Can you please make the weight of the bar user adjustable?

Bump. My bar is only 40lbs. It would be great if I could adjust the bar weight in the app.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

I spoke to Rip about this, the consensus is that you should be using an oly bar, but i will try to get this into the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    I spoke to Rip about this, the consensus is that you should be using an oly bar, but i will try to get this into the next update.
    That's just stupid. Yes 45# should be default BUT !!!

20 kg metric bar = 44#.

Alot of newbies will use weird stuff / non standard / cheap equipment . . .esp. when first getting started (i.e. when you'd be doing the novice SS program).
    Eventually, IF these people get sufficiently strong and/or begin to take their training seriously will graduate to the more standard equipment.

Alot of knock off chinese Oly bars are 42# . . .I have one in my garage.
    Some of the girls bars are 33#(15 kg) . . .yeah yeah yeah, you're only supposed use those for clean and snatches, alot of girls squat and deadlift with those (esp. dead lift bcuz grip better smaller dia. bar)
    Also, prett sure some hardcore powerlifting gyms use the 55#power bar to squat with??? seen this before. (but than again, these people would be using SS LP / novice program)

Default Weight of Bar

I am really pleased to hear this but I am surprised it is an issue because:

• Similar apps have this feature;
    • People with a home gym that has cost $$$ are not going to get rid of their bar and plates to suit the app. They will buy the app that suits their equipment;
    • Rip has previously said that some females cannot cope with an OLY bar, especially in the early stages of training.

In short, without this feature, the app is not competitive against similar apps and excludes many potential buyers. So fingers x the app is fixed soon.

Thanks,
    I just bought a better bar last week, I'm all good now. :-)
    Really digging the APP!!!!

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    Thanks,
    I just bought a better bar last week, I'm all good now. :-)
    Really digging the APP!!!!
    good to hear!

I will get this fix into update after next (1.14).