starting strength gym

Thread: Seattle Seminar

Default Seattle Seminar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wanted to say a quick thank you to Rip and the other coaches for such a great seminar last weekend. Really, one of the best seminars I've ever attended.

"Being strong makes everything better.."

Glad you liked it. It was good to meet you.

Seconded. It seems like after every seminar, someone says it, but for those of you who are considering attending: JUST DO IT.

Since Friday I've had terrible nights of sleep, even though my body is exhausted, because my mind has been buzzing, filled to the brim with the absurd wealth of knowledge, experience, insight, and caring imparted by the entire coaching staff. Even having read SS:BBT twice, PP once, and most of the ss.com articles, I learned a TON. Even ideas or concepts that I thought I knew, presented in this format, took on new meaning, clarity, and specificity.

And, especially for a non-coach or someone who doesn't watch a lot of other lifters, seeing 24 other people's squat coached and critiqued by Rip is--alone--worth the cost of the whole weekend.

Thanks for attending, Annie.

I can't agree enough with Annie's comments. It may be (definitely is) that I'm a bit of a motor moron; but I found that having read EVERYTHING from Aasgaard, and a bunch of stuff on this site, and having worked on my own at doing these movements as prescribed for SEVERAL YEARS made less of a difference to my understanding of the models of the lifts than this single weekend of actual, live, skilled coaching, observing and teaching. I had eye-opening, paradigm-shifting realizations about how to perform every one of the five fundamental movements. And, of course, enjoyed meeting some outstanding people, both among the coaches and the fellow students.

TLDR: GO.

That seminar was really important to me. I just wish I had the guidance of a good coach instead of having lifted incorrectly for 2 years first. I learned a lot, and I'm grateful for that, but it's frustrating to have to re-learn everything.

Even though I did not go there to become a coach, the seminar was worth every penny. I can see a huge difference between a SSC and any other coach. It would be nice if there were more of you folks around.

Thank you for the kind words. We are working to find more people to become SSCs. You are lucky in Seattle that you have a number of SSCs and some great gyms nearby.

If you take your strength and technique seriously, sign up for a seminar ASAP. Throughout close to 30 hours of exhaustive (and exhausting) lecture and platform instruction, Coach Rippetoe, Tom, Chris, Nikki, Wolf, and Matt kept me attentive throughout. My only regret is that I waited so long to attend one. For those like myself who live in a strength training backwater, a SS Seminar is your best option to improve your own technique, and essential if you train others. Also kudos to Urban CrossFit for providing a great environment.

starting strength coach development program
    It is nice to read all the kind words. That was a great seminar. We all had a great experience and learned a lot about barbell training. As a coach it is rewarding to work with such a motivated group of lifters that are interested in what we are teaching. We all learn from these events.

Every seminar I have attended or staffed has been a great experience with plenty of good people involved. However, after each one I staff I am reminded of how much more work we have to do as an organization. People need to learn what concepts we teach. There is a great deal of misinformation out there. We need more coaches, but we cannot just 'make' coaches. I constantly encourage people to get involved and am will to help people along in the process, but they have to take action to make it happen.

Anyhow, I liked seeing this thread. Thanks to all the attendees, Urban Crossfit for hosting, all the other coaches, and of course Rip and Stef for putting it all together.