starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep having to reenter all my data when I start a rest timer, or change a song.

Default Keep having to reenter all my data when I start a rest timer, or change a song.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since the app doesn't have a built in timer and I listen to music on my phone during my workout I have to switch between these apps. The new starting strength app handles being backgrounded very poorly (i.e. when I go back to the home screen and open the timer/clock app). Each time I go to start a rest timer for my work set when I go back to the app it is like I just launched it for the first time and I have to enter everything again. Ideally the app would have a rest stopwatch, but I do also need the ability to say switch to my music app and change the song.

I have also noticed that the switching between work and warmup sets is a bit clunky. Ideally I would like to be able to see all of the upcoming sets (work and warmup) on the initial screen and maybe when you click on that set it enters the plate calculator and you just hit ok or something when you are done. Either way it would be nice if this were presented in a more consistent way.

Work out some of these little kinks and bump the price up to say $10 and you have a winner. I have used most of the apps available on both Android and iOS and so far this is shaping up to be the best option for people making use of the Starting Strength Workout. Just a few more tweaks here and there and it will be totally dialed.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Since the app doesn't have a built in timer and I listen to music on my phone during my workout I have to switch between these apps. The new starting strength app handles being backgrounded very poorly (i.e. when I go back to the home screen and open the timer/clock app). Each time I go to start a rest timer for my work set when I go back to the app it is like I just launched it for the first time and I have to enter everything again. Ideally the app would have a rest stopwatch, but I do also need the ability to say switch to my music app and change the song.

I have also noticed that the switching between work and warmup sets is a bit clunky. Ideally I would like to be able to see all of the upcoming sets (work and warmup) on the initial screen and maybe when you click on that set it enters the plate calculator and you just hit ok or something when you are done. Either way it would be nice if this were presented in a more consistent way.

Work out some of these little kinks and bump the price up to say $10 and you have a winner. I have used most of the apps available on both Android and iOS and so far this is shaping up to be the best option for people making use of the Starting Strength Workout. Just a few more tweaks here and there and it will be totally dialed.
    Hey Bill, thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to look into the resume issue tomorrow. We also have notes and workset rest timer in the next update which shold be coming in the next few days.

About the re-design of the UI, I do want to do something along these longs in the future - but there's a few things above that on the priority list (intermediate logs, syncing of data).

Appreciate the feedback!

hey bill, what version of the app are you using? I've tested in the last available version and I can't reproduce this. I tried jumping out of the app, changing music, setting timer...its true in an early version this may have occurred but I'm pretty sure its fixed in version 1.11 (the last available version).

It looks like I auto updated to 1.11 (I show a Nov 4 date for this version). After some initial testing I am unable to duplicate the backgrounding issue with this version. My next normal work is this evening, so I will update if I see this problem again.

I did remember another minor item I wanted to mention while I was back in the app. I am unable to back out of the warmup sets without it dropping me all of the way back to the Starting Strength app main screen.

I know you say you are not quite ready for a UI tweak, but it seems a good chunk of screen real estate is wasted in the workout screen displaying your body weight. If the body weight was removed since it isn't really much use after it has been entered that would allow you to stretch the rest of the UI which would make some room for some smaller workout set circles in front of the work set circles. The reps wouldn't make as much sense then, but the reps could be contextual and appear based on which set is selected. This would nicely consolidate warmup and work sets without needing to enter other menus to toggle between them. Just some random thoughts there.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    hey bill, what version of the app are you using? I've tested in the last available version and I can't reproduce this. I tried jumping out of the app, changing music, setting timer...its true in an early version this may have occurred but I'm pretty sure its fixed in version 1.11 (the last available version).
    Some initial testing indicated that the behaviour was less pronounced, however when I tried to do the Starting Strength Routine B workout using the app today the app exited 4 times and I had to keep relaunching it and reentering weight data. Each time I was in the process of hitting stop on a rest timer set via the clock app. Play music was also running in the background during this time.

I also noticed what seems like another bug. I was unable to complete either of the last two Power Clean sets (clicking on 4 and 5 did nothing). This persisted even after the app exited and I had to reenter it.

Moderators,

I seem to be stuck in moderator purgatory. I posted two follow up posts to Shabu's question in the last two days and neither of them have showed up.

Thanks

Some initial testing indicated that the behaviour was less pronounced, however when I tried to do the Starting Strength Routine B workout using the app today the app exited 4 times and I had to keep relaunching it and reentering weight data. Each time I was in the process of hitting stop on a rest timer set via the clock app. Play music was also running in the background during this time.

I also noticed what seems like another bug. I was unable to complete either of the last two Power Clean sets (clicking on 4 and 5 did nothing). This persisted even after the app exited and I had to reenter it.
    Are you using android Bill?

Power Clean is a known bug and is fixed in the forthcoming update.

Rest timer will also be addressed in the next update as it will be in app.

As to workout B, how are you exiting the app? Are you using the app's "back" button (android) to exit the app? As this will close down the app completely, you're better off using the home button (which pushes the app to the background, but keeps it open).

Moderators,

I seem to be stuck in moderator purgatory. I posted two follow up posts to Shabu's question in the last two days and neither of them have showed up.

Thanks
    Yes moderators have to approve every post before you can see them.

Shabu,

I am using Android 5.1. I am using the home button. I did another workout on Friday and had the same issue. I was using the home button to move between the Starting Strength app and the Android Clock timer (Google Play Music was also running in the background for my workout music). During this workout I found the Starting Strength app had exited completely on 4 different occasions when I returned to my phone after having completed a two minute post work set rest timer.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, this has been reported a few times now and we are fixing it right now. Thanks for reporting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast